DVDVR Message Board

RIP Buddy Landell

Landell was my absolute favorite part of 84 Mid South, and that's saying a lot. He just had this ridiculous bravado to him that was so over the top but completely and utterly genuine and the corkscrew elbow job was the perfect move to encapsulate it, years before it's time and super impressive but ultimately all flash and no substance.

Buddy may be one of the bigger, sadder "what if" stories in wrestling. He had the rocket strapped to his back, smashed the house record in Raleigh for his Flair match, had his whole career ahead of him... then he screwed up and lost it all. 

This was the last true Memphis MSC sell-out if I'm not mistaken.

Uncle Coaster, what you said gives me hope that he's in a better place today. I always found him ridiculously entertaining in Smoky Mountain. Got to shake his hand last year. Rest in Power...

• Like 1

The first SMW tv tape I saw was around the time of the Bobby Blaze winning the title.  That TV is loaded with a shit ton of magnificent bastard Buddy Landell promos.  Among favorites is of him jumping Dirty White Boy and proclaiming on the house mic "Hey ref!  He's drunk!"

I remember watching the "own worst enemy" promo when it happened, and I remember thinking during the beatdown that earned him from Cornette's guys "man, this is violent even for pro wrestling." He bled a fountain.

The younger wrestlers from around Landell's area have said there was no one better about trying to help them any way he could and he was a joy to have in a locker room.

This was posted on the Botchamania Facebook and was Buddy's poem to JYD when he passed. I'm gonna spoiler it because the shit hurts. I don't even think I've seen a match with Landell -- all I remember is the Bill and Buddy Show and Flair cutting him down on a DVD once -- but so what. RIP. 

''I just got a call and heard you were gone, and I stand here so cold.
And the booker says you're off to your biggest angle ever, walking on streets of gold.

We first met when I was a kid, and I remember being in such awe!
You were the first superstar I ever met, the first I ever saw.

You drew more money than most people know, but how they soon forget!
But in my eyes, I saw it first hand and man, you were legit!

Just like you did when we first met, you took me under your wing.
And it comforts me now that you, Dick, Frank and Eddie are listening to the angels sing.

I'll see you again in that special place, and I can give you a ring.
So once again save me a place under your great big wing!

I'll miss you and always love you... Good-bye dear friend...''

Would it be a fair assessment to say that Landell is the east cost version of Gino Hernandez?   A guy with incredible talent and charisma who derailed his own career path with drugs and alcohol.   Although maybe this isn't fair because even after his was fired from Crocketts he was great in Memphis and Smokey Mountain

I had no idea that Buddy worked in the WWF near the end of his time. 

Yes the corkscrew elbow drop was top 3 in terms of coolest elbow drops ever