DVDVR Message Board

A thread for PS+/PSN Deals

Tabe

man. I had incredibly fond memories of Gex 2: Enter the Gecko from the PS1 days. I expected the 90s pop culture snark to grate, 15 years later, and I expected the graphics to be a little unfortunate (as any 3D PS1 game does if it's not super stylized/simplistic like Jumping Flash). I didn't expect motion sickness, a problem I can't remember ever having with a game before. Glad I only paid a buck for it.

I ended up getting quite a bit during the sale. I already had Tokyo Jungle (yet I haven't played it).

I knew trying to fight a Hippo with a Pomeranian was a bad idea, but I'll be damned if I wasn't going to try.

• Like 2

This week's deals in the US:

Free:

- PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD (Vita)

Discounts

- Arkham Asylum and Arkham Origins are both on sale

- Also Cel Damage, Injustice: Gods Among Us and Lego Batman 2

- a couple others

Tokyo Jungle was worth the dollar.  It is fun.  I need to unlock the bigger animals though, now that I'm getting the hang of hunting.

Grazers are a pain in the ass with toxicity and regions running out of food if you advance a generation in them.

At first glance, this seemed like the weakest lineup in a while, but I've mellowed a little over the course of the day. I heard Puppeteer was short but quite a bit of fun, Skullgirls was a perfectly acceptable indie fighter (I felt like I got my five bucks' worth but was glad I didn't pay more), and Limbo is pretty excellent. Stick It might not be my first choice for a PS4 game, but I think it'll be at least a year before we get anything other than a B+-tier indie title or something from Housemarque as the game of the month. ("You were hoping we'd give you Transistor? HA! Enjoy Stick Figure Rochambeau 2015!") Surge isn't something I know anything about, but as a free puzzle game for Vita I can pretty much guarantee I'll be playing it on my bus commute for a while.

I can barely fight a cat with my pomeranian, I can't imagine taking on any bigger animals.

My pomeranian took out a wolf.  I was so thrilled by my kill that I didn't even mind when an alligator leaped on screen and ate me two seconds afterwards.

At first glance, this seemed like the weakest lineup in a while, but I've mellowed a little over the course of the day. I heard Puppeteer was short but quite a bit of fun, Skullgirls was a perfectly acceptable indie fighter (I felt like I got my five bucks' worth but was glad I didn't pay more), and Limbo is pretty excellent. Stick It might not be my first choice for a PS4 game, but I think it'll be at least a year before we get anything other than a B+-tier indie title or something from Housemarque as the game of the month. ("You were hoping we'd give you Transistor? HA! Enjoy Stick Figure Rochambeau 2015!") Surge isn't something I know anything about, but as a free puzzle game for Vita I can pretty much guarantee I'll be playing it on my bus commute for a while.

This spin would make any Madison Ave PR guy proud. Well done, sir.

Enh, maybe I'm being too easy on it, but if I get two games I will put at least.four hours into, I usually feel.I.got.my four bucks worth. Puppeteer was something I legit.want.to play. Limbo is something I know is good. I am content and will look for silver linings on the rest.

The servers for the Soul Calibur game are borked right now, so I wouldn't bother downloading it.

I played for about a hour or so tonight. It's good besides too much loading. Basically you get points to do quests. Each quest is a set of matches and at the end you get XP and new items. If you get beat or run out of points, you have to use items to play on. The game gives you a couple of free ones but others you have to wait a day or buy from the PSN store.

The big new things are you get stones to craft items and weapons to make them more powerful and give them elemental attributes. Of course you can pay to get good items instead of grinding for stones.

Also you use other people's characters as allies, basically you pick one from a random (?) list before each quest. You can tag them in for 20 seconds or so after a meter is full. You only have one life bar to get through each quest, so using the ally will help extend that. If people use your character, you get perks.

You can select from Mitsurugi, Sophitia and Siegfried. I think more characters are unlocked on quests but I haven't gotten any.

This week's update for the US:

Free

Velocity Ultra (Vita) - Not sure, think it's a shooter.

Discounts

- Lots of "Japanese themed" discounts.  Games I've never heard of, plus a bunch of Metal Gear Solid stuff, Tales of Symphonia: Chronicles, and Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, among others.