DVDVR Message Board

A thread for PS+/PSN Deals

Tabe

Which Lego titles we talking about here?  is Harry Potter one of them?

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (PS3) - $12.59

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Vita) - $12.59
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (PS3) - $12.59
LEGO Legends Of Chima: Laval’s Journey (Vita) - $12.59
LEGO Lord Of The Rings (PS3) - $12.59
LEGO Lord Of The Rings (Vita) - $12.59
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS4) - $31.49
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Vita) - $18.89
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS3) - $25.19

These are only good for one week, so buy 'em up.

So, downloading Castle of Illusion between its Plus launch later today and 4/28 gets you the preorder bonus (the Genesis version). People who are on Plus but bought the game after launch are likely to be angry, I think.

Well, I wasn't going to be angry until you posted about the bonus I'll miss out on.  Grrrr.

This week's US update:

Free

- Castle of Illusion (PS3) - beautiful remake of the original Genesis classic, held back by floaty, imprecise, unresponsive controls.  Worth a download.

Discounts

- lots of discounts for Lego titles

- a bunch of discounts for Pure Chess for the PS4.  Every system seems to get one or two but... does anybody really buy chess games for consoles?  I say that as somebody who's bought lots of them for computers.

Chess games are weird. For the average player, I don't think much has actually been added of value to the game since about 1985 when the Sargon series worked out a decent AI normal people couldn't beat.

So, downloading Castle of Illusion between its Plus launch later today and 4/28 gets you the preorder bonus (the Genesis version). People who are on Plus but bought the game after launch are likely to be angry, I think.

Well, I wasn't going to be angry until you posted about the bonus I'll miss out on.  Grrrr.

It looks like the Genesis Bundle is a distinct item in the PSN store with a higher price tag, so you may be able to 'buy' it anyway.

There was a bundle in the PSN store and I was able to download the Genesis version separately as part of that. Playing it a little bit confirmed that, yep, the controls on the original were a LOT better.

Chess games are weird. For the average player, I don't think much has actually been added of value to the game since about 1985 when the Sargon series worked out a decent AI normal people couldn't beat.

Even better is this tidbit from the IGN review of Pure Chess - there's no real-time online play.  Correspondence chess only.  In 2014.  Well-done, sirs.

• Like 1

There was a bundle in the PSN store and I was able to download the Genesis version separately as part of that. Playing it a little bit confirmed that, yep, the controls on the original were a LOT better.

Played the remake a bit, and I didn't think the controls were *that* bad.  Didn't play the Genesis version yet, so I don't have a point of reference, but I'll try that later.

Even better is this tidbit from the IGN review of Pure Chess - there's no real-time online play.  Correspondence chess only.  In 2014.  Well-done, sirs.

Even Chess 2 on the OUYA has online play.

They're not the worst thing every by any means but they sure don't hold a candle to, say, a Mario title.

Super Mario 1 begs to differ, but I know what you're saying.

Why would you need another chess program to play online at all when there are many servers already out there (free ones for the hobby players and pay to play ones for serious players)?

They're not the worst thing every by any means but they sure don't hold a candle to, say, a Mario title.

Super Mario 1 begs to differ, but I know what you're saying.

Hmmm...I've never had an issue with the controls in SMB1.

Why would you need another chess program to play online at all when there are many servers already out there (free ones for the hobby players and pay to play ones for serious players)?

Because you want to play on your PS4 using your big-screen TV instead of on your phone or PC?