DVDVR Message Board

A thread for PS+/PSN Deals

Tabe

I thought Hotline Miami was a little harder on the PS3. The Vita version was super tight for those controls. I really loved the trial and error aspect of planning out my path of destruction. It really is a throwback type of game in that it's die, try again. Over and over again. I hope the sequel is more of the same.

Of course I played a lot of NES back in the day. I've had consoles on my house since 1976 :) I thought the game was a throwback to crappy games from a bygone era that needed to stay gone. And I thought the art sucked.

Found out the next freebie for PS+ is Urban Trials Freestyle and got really pumped cuz I've been wanting that game for a long time. Then I found out it's only the Vita version and I wept a little.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's update for North America:

Free:

- Don't Starve (PS4) - Some kind of survival horror/simulator game with cutesy graphics or something. 

- Devil May Cry (PS3) - The popular 3rd person action game.  I'll be snagging this one for sure.

Just one Discount:

- Streetkix: Freestyle (PSP) - $10.79.  I have no idea what this is.

Some good freebies this week to start the new year!

Don't Starve is a great, great game. Can be a frustrating learning curve with the permadeath, but well worth it. I've been using keyboard and a mouse, it'll be interesting to see how it plays with a controller.

Another big one this week:

Free

- Bioshock Infinite (PS3) - The entire series has now been free on PS+.  I'll be grabbing this one for sure!

Discounts

- "14 for 14" - discounts on 14 celebrated PS3/Vita titles, including The Wolf Among Us Season Pass for $13.49, Crysis 3 for $5, and 12 more.  And then 14 more on Vita.  Some great deals.

Another great week for PS+!

It really is incredible the value that Sony has packed into the PS+ program.  TONS of AAA titles have been released for free on it: Battlefield 3, Infamous 2, Street Fighter 4, Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock Infinite, Devil May Cry and probably 10 others I'm forgetting.  The overall quality of the free games has been outstanding.  There have been a couple of turds but they are a distinct minority.  Not to mention the cloud backups and automatic patches/updates.  I am so glad I signed up.

Maybe if you have a really fast connection with no cap - otherwise it's kind of a waste IMO.  You spend way more time downloading/installing the game than actually playing it.

If you have PS+, you just "buy" the timed trial, have it download in the background and it'll install all on its own overnight.  It's not like you have to actually sit there in front of your PS3 while the thing downloads and do nothing else.  It takes like a minute to setup the download and then a day or two later, it's ready to play with no further intervention on your part.  Not exactly a major effort or time sink.

This week's update:

Free

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3) - Sort of a puzzle/RPG game with an interesting hook: you control each of the two characters at the same time, one on each control stick.  I tried the demo and didn't much care for the game - the controls are awkward but not really a problem - but this one got a lot of love from the gaming press.  Supposed to have a great story.

Worms: Battle Islands  (PSP/Vita) - it's Worms.  So, uh, yeah.

Discount

Music-themed discounts this week including a couple shooters for under $3 - Everyday Shooter from Pixeljunk and Retro/Grade.  Both have gotten a lot of positive feedback.