DVDVR Message Board

Which superhero film are you most looking forward to in 2016?

69 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Comic Book Movies.

• Deadpool (February)
    • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March)
    • Captain America: Civil War (May)
    • X-Men: Apocalypse (May)
    • Suicide Squad (August)
    • Gambit (October)
    • Doctor Strange (November)
    • Daredevil Season Two (2016)
    • Other.

I'm sure me fellow Batman buddie, Ligerbusa will be voting for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

For me it's:

1. Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

tumblr_ltxeh2LPEt1qzs6oc.gif

(Outta likes but will give you one ASAP).

• Like 1

A lot of people who aren't excited about Batman v. Superman fall into two categories. 

1. Super fanatical Donner fans/can't accept that there are other iterations of Superman than which they grew up with (and are actually wrong about the idea that Superman has never tried to kill something before because they like to forget that he has on multiple occasions) OR 

2. are not fans of anything related to the DC universe to begin with.

Which is fine.  It's the laundry list of criticisms I've read about the trailer that are so nitpicky/terrible or in most cases are people who are not paying attention. Such as "HOW COULD BATMAN STAND A CHANCE?" They act like they've never heard of The Dark Knight Returns or any other instance in which these two have been at odds. Yet, it's these same people that need to tell you CONSTANTLY why they won't be watching (or in most cases they will watch anyway).

2A. Those that have heard of The Dark Knight Returns and are tired of every DC movie in recent history trying to be like it.

Some people are tired of every character trying to one up Tony Stark.  We don't always get what we want. Marvel is a lot like John Cena. They've been on top for a long time. When they are great they are really fucking great. But their formula can get a little stale and goddamn do their poop promos suck.

I'm definitely more excited about the Doctor Strange movie than CIVIL WAR. And I was never a fan of the character in the comics. But while I liked AoU, it told me everything I need to know about what Marvel's approach to Avengers-level stuff is going to be for the next few years (basically, nothing matters until the Infinity War). With that in mind, I think I prefer a detour into something (hopefully) weird and different that stands by itself to more piece moving and time wasting.

Overall, I'd say I'm most looking forward to BvS, because, even if it's bad, it's going to be spectacularly bad.

Cap I'm the most conflicted on. I pretty much trust Marvel Studios at this point, and movies with Cap have been their strongest suit.

But so far both official statements and rumors point to them following the source material fairly closely and HOLY FUCK is Civil War an awful comic book.

Plus, I don't think they've successfully built enough of a Steve/Tony friendship to make them fighting seem like a major deal.

Who the fuck is Dr. Strange?

A character who's been in publication for about fifty years, and wasn't created by Rob Liefeld.

Deadpool is definitely a more popular character...

Liefeld characters are popular in 2015? Is Cable going to get a movie? Are studios fighting over the rights to the Youngblood movie?

Here's why I like/am looking forward to Deadpool:

1. The Joe Casey run was pretty golden

2. I haven't interacted with him outside the game since then

3. That also appears to be true for the makers of the movie

Is there any word on what animated DC movies are coming down the pipe?

Throne of Atlantis was kinda blah to me. I have not seen Batman vs. Robin yet, but I haven't heard great things about it. Justice League: Gods and Monsters, which comes out on July 28, is the one I am looking forward to.

The DCU producers have thrown out some wish list stuff like Sinestro Corps, and The Killing Joke is always in the rumor mill. They don't have anything officially on the table right now. They might be tied up with the Gods and Monsters series since there's already an order for a second season.

• Like 1

I'd really like to see DC do a non-JL/Batman/Superman animated movie. Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, Flash, Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Aquaman... They really have a lot of material they could mine outside of the usual suspects.