DVDVR Message Board

E3 2015

Is J.T. actually trying to argue that GTA and Saint's Row aren't in the same genre or is this some kind of elaborate fucking rib? Because for his sake I hope that's a rib.

"These games aren't exactly the same so stop comparing them" what the fuck?

Do you not consider Mega Man a platformer because it has guns and Mario Brothers doesn't? I can't believe I have to ask.

The dumbest thing I've heard from the Shenmue thing was on Twitter. It was something ong the lines of "The worst thing about the Shenmue Kickstarter is that it makes fans not understand how much it costs to make a video game."

No. The worst part about this Kickstarter is that we have people in the media underestimating how many gamers actually understand economics.

• Like 1

Is J.T. actually trying to argue that GTA and Saint's Row aren't in the same genre or is this some kind of elaborate fucking rib? Because for his sake I hope that's a rib.

Being similar isn't the same as being identical.  Similar mechanics? Naturally. Same genre? Sure.  Same immersion? No.

I'd be a pretty dumb developer if I brought in a new IP that tried to compete with GTA by making it feel and look exactly like GTA.

Some nuances are minor (Watch Dogs's computer hacking or Sleeping Dogs being set in Hong Kong) and some are major (Saints Rows highly exaggerated story and combat).

Saying that all of these games are all the same because you shoot guns and drive cars is ignorant of the fact that these games are deliberately trying to offer different reasons to enjoy them while retaining very similar gameplay.

Woo, another Star Ocean!

I am excited and scared at the same time.  I loved Star Ocean 4 but holy shit that US voice acting really sucked.

Star Ocean is a series I always meant to try and somehow never have played a single game in the franchise.

Woo, another Star Ocean!

I am excited and scared at the same time.  I loved Star Ocean 4 but holy shit that US voice acting really sucked.

Star Ocean is a series I always meant to try and somehow never have played a single game in the franchise.

They are endearing titles but I know I have outgrown them because I find the interactions between the usual tween aged characters to be very creepy.

I am also world weary of the now popular JRPG heroic archetype of the reluctant emo loner turned savior thanks to the badassery of protagonists like Commander Shepard.

Ugh. Not only has this E3 made me realize that I'll be doing a console upgrade this year, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to get *both*. That was not in the cards at all. I'm a patient gamer, but I'm not sure I can wait for some of this stuff...

• Like 1

The dumbest thing I've heard from the Shenmue thing was on Twitter. It was something ong the lines of "The worst thing about the Shenmue Kickstarter is that it makes fans not understand how much it costs to make a video game."

Kotaku had an article on that exact topic like two weeks ago. The logic is sound. You give way too much credit to the average person supporting a game on kickstarter.

Ugh. Not only has this E3 made me realize that I'll be doing a console upgrade this year, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to get *both*. That was not in the cards at all. I'm a patient gamer, but I'm not sure I can wait for some of this stuff...

This.  This year more than ever there are a slug of titles that I want to play on both next-gen consoles.  This awesomeness on the part of both companies is not doing my budget any favors.

Hey! I accepted your friend request!

I clearly am a glutton for punishment.

As evidence by the fact that I keep playing Fable games despite hating them

Horrible title aside I think my friends and I will play the shit out of For Honor

That looks so bad ass. I can't not play as samurai. Maybe dabble with vikings but fuck da knights.

There are too many rad looking games coming out within the next year or so. I said that last year but so many disappointed. Some of them look beyond fuck-up-able though.

Have we even seen anything regarding the new Dead Island?

Wii U is totally awesome.

Wife is watching Master Chopped Throwdown whatever, and I'm playing online SSB4. We are having together time, and I'm paying no attention to Anne Burrell. I find myself wishing every console had that form factor.