DVDVR Message Board

E3 2015

Since there's an established and objective method of determining who "wins" a gaming conference, one should use that reasoning to dismiss another's opinion of what won it for them.

I'd agree if "for them" was used in the original discussion, but it wasn't. We're talking about 2 different things.

Of course not.

It's no Shenmue.

So you're saying you're excited about the game?

A little.

I'll probably pick it up.

(I haven't been this excited about a game in years. Although Square Enix could have topped it with two words.)

It's nice people want to play Shenmue 3. Tons of money can get pumped into it and then, as expected, it will be ok, it will sell poorly, and then people will bitch and wonder why there is no part 4. This game or series is ripe for that prediction.

It's also funny Zheroen is getting all pissy about this. Hey true believer, you keep liking what you want to like. Meanwhile, we're perfectly allowed to not understand or not even like that thing.

• Like 1

Of course not.

It's no Shenmue.

A little.

(I haven't been this excited about a game in years. Although Square Enix could have topped it with two words.)

"Ogre Battle" is the correct answer, but I'm wondering what yours were?

Of course not.

It's no Shenmue.

A little.

Ummmm, "The Bouncer 2" is 3 words.

sony_playstation_2-the_bouncer.jpg

• Like 1

They probably wouldn't have because again, it's a game appealing to a niche audience. This is to not say anything about Ogre Battle, which is a great game, but popularity wise, FF7 is more popular and it's not as if the remake of it moved mountains or anything.

I also am not sure how you do a turn based strategy game like that on a console in this generation.

It's nice people want to play Shenmue 3. Tons of money can get pumped into it and then, as expected, it will be ok, it will sell poorly, and then people will bitch and wonder why there is no part 4. This game or series is ripe for that prediction.

It's also funny Zheroen is getting all pissy about this. Hey true believer, you keep liking what you want to like. Meanwhile, we're perfectly allowed to not understand or not even like that thing.

Can you also provide the winning lottery numbers?

They probably wouldn't have because again, it's a game appealing to a niche audience. This is to not say anything about Ogre Battle, which is a great game, but popularity wise, FF7 is more popular and it's not as if the remake of it moved mountains or anything.

I also am not sure how you do a turn based strategy game like that on a console in this generation.

Since I'm the sole and arbitrary judge, yes, yes they would have.

Is XCOM turn based strat? Because that would interest me some.

But the thing about Ogre Battle is that it's a hybrid of strat and traditional rpg.

I'd gladly take a new Tactics Ogre though. Or, hell, FF Tactics II would be nice.

• Like 1

Craig, I agree with you that it's too niche a series to see the light of day again. I never expect to see the series brought back, realistically. I just wish that wasn't so.

EDIT: And I think Tactics Ogre is the weakest of the three, by a huge margin. To me the SNES game is the most perfect expression of an idea executed in a smiple-yet-amazingly-deep way that was ever done. It can never be replicated or duplicated, nor am I sure it would even make sense if you weren't there to see it.

*clutches his memories*

Yep, you're right. Silly me. It's only been more than a decade since the second one, which was OK and didn't sell well enough to justify a part 3 until now and that's only with a kickstarter. Look at the landscape of video games and franchises. You need to perform really fucking well or have a company throwing it's full weight behind you to have staying power. Shenmue, as a game and series, is not a grand franchise that is going to generate the type of money and attention to necessitate additional sequels. It didn't before and it won't again. Again, this does not mean it's a bad game or someone is wrong for liking it. I liked Firefly and Serenity too, and that shit isn't seeing the light of day on a movie screen ever again. Some franchises are just like that.

Is XCOM turn based strat? Because that would interest me some.

YUP! And it has huge RPG elements too. I never played Ogre Battle, so I can't tell you how close it is to that, but it does sound like something you'd love.

Then again, there have been EIGHT fucking Yakuza games, so who knows. I can only assume that those sold well enough in Japan, but the Japanese market isn't what it once was. Certainly not enough to fully support Shenmue.