DVDVR Message Board

E3 2015

As cool as that is, it's also completely minor aspect to the style of game.

Combat is a major part of all of those games so how you defeat enemies is very important. 

As I said before the only thing that GTA and Saints Row have in common now is navigating through a huge playbox.   In the latest GTA game I assume the role of three ambitious criminals planning the score of the ages while in Saints Row 4, I am the super powered President of the United States saving the planet from a alien invasion

Yeah, those games sound so similar that they are nearly identical.

Triad Wars just made me feel like the worst person on Earth. I had been on my phone for about the last 15 minutes, looked up at my TV, and for half a second I thought it said "Tard Wars"

This from the guy that gives me shit about me not getting #IDARB right on the first try.

• Like 1

As cool as that is, it's also completely minor aspect to the style of game.

Combat is a major part of all of those games so how you defeat enemies is very important. 

As I said before the only thing that GTA and Saints Row have in common now is navigating through a huge playbox.   In the latest GTA game I assume the role of three ambitious criminals planning the score of the ages while in Saints Row 4, I am the super powered President of the United States saving the planet from a alien invasion

Yeah, those games sound so similar that they are nearly identical.

Are we really going to get into a debate on if Saint's Row, GTA, and Just Causes's sales numbers aren't effected by each other? Cause that's really all I stated. The open world sandbox 3rd person shooter genre has tons of players, and yeah, they have there differences, but they are based from the same player base. Saints Row's player base plummeted when GTA came out, for instance. The question to me is can Just Cause move people off there pre-existing styles enough.

Are we really going to get into a debate on if Saint's Row, GTA, and Just Causes's sales numbers aren't effected by each other? Cause that's really all I stated.

And that's true, but the :"these games are all the same because I drive cars and kill stuff" logic is fundamentally flawed.  The games compete for the same market but do so by highlighting how different they are from each other.

Saints Row's player base plummeted when GTA came out, for instance

Doesn't really prove anything.  Every gamer abandons the dull penny for the shiny one.   This happens across all game genre and cross pollenates in between genre as well.

I put Saints Row 3 on the shelf when GTA 5 came out and GTA 5 hasn't been in my console that much since Destiny came out and I will probably abandon whatever I am playing at the time when Mass Effect 4 hits.

The question to me is can Just Cause move people off there pre-existing styles enough.

The question you should be asking is do the developers of Just Cause want you to do that?

As different in tone and feel that these games are, you are correct in your belief that is isn't coincidence that the game mechanics are deliberately similar.  Makes it easy for you to transition from one to the other and the mechanics stay native in genre.

As much as we say we like change, gamers are creatures of habit hence the rebellion when Mass Effect adopted shooter elements and *gasp* forced you to depend on actual hand / eye coordination and twitch reflex to win in combat rather than roll a d20 buried in some algorithm in the game engine to determine whether or not you hit what you fired on.

Someone else is coming up on stage.... JESUS FUCK, HOW LONG DOES THIS CONFERENCE HAVE TO BE???

At least they are announcing actual shit. Just because it's stuff that doesn't interest you doesn't mean it's been a loss. This blew away EA yesterday, and probably edges Ubisoft.

Just Cause, Deus Ex, and Tomb Raider all interest me. But that conference was longer than any other 3rdparty conference and a lot of it was repeats of trailers they showed elsewhere.

Are we really going to get into a debate on if Saint's Row, GTA, and Just Causes's sales numbers aren't effected by each other? Cause that's really all I stated.

And that's true, but the :"these games are all the same because I drive cars and kill stuff" logic is fundamentally flawed.  The games compete for the same market but do so by highlighting how different they are from each other.

Saints Row's player base plummeted when GTA came out, for instance

Doesn't really prove anything.  Every gamer abandons the dull penny for the shiny one.   This happens across all game genre and cross pollenates in between genre as well.

I put Saints Row on the shelf when GTA came out and GTA hasn't been in my console that much since Destiny came out and I will probably abandon whatever I am playing at the time when Mass Effect 4 hits.

No.1 I was saying Just Cause is going to be trying to get in on a market that is dominated by some other major games, and I'm not sure if they will ever be able to find a brand new way to get to there sale numbers. Destructable buildings is cool, but it's not going to do enough to get me to pay 60 bucks for it when I already have Grand Theft Auto. My argument wasn't that GTA/Saints Row are identical, but that Just Cause has to do something unique enough to not be compared to those games and look bad by comparison. I just don't see it there

No.2 I'm not sure "Every Gamer" does that at all, as if so people would be playing Evolve and not Left 4 Dead. Most players don't "pick a game" and just stick with it for a long time. They switch it up.

Someone else is coming up on stage.... JESUS FUCK, HOW LONG DOES THIS CONFERENCE HAVE TO BE???

At least they are announcing actual shit. Just because it's stuff that doesn't interest you doesn't mean it's been a loss. This blew away EA yesterday, and probably edges Ubisoft.

Just Cause, Deus Ex, and Tomb Raider all interest me. But that conference was longer than any other 3rdparty conference and a lot of it was repeats of trailers they showed elsewhere.

EA's was just as long, and they filled it with an interview with Pele, giving us nothing new about any of there sports game, and the only real highlights was a mediocre looking Star Wars game and Yarny. 

My argument wasn't that GTA/Saints Row are identical, but that Just Cause has to do something unique enough to not be compared to those games and look bad by comparison.

Then credit the production values of GTA5 and Saints Row thanks to the deep pockets of Rockstar and Volition.  When you spend money (or have the money to spend), you make money.

Just Cause, sadly, is as good as it can be for the budget it has.