DVDVR Message Board

E3 2015

Haven't even seen the full list of announced games yet, but holy crap this has been a fun E3 so far.

Sony had my jaw dropping with Last Guardian, FF7 remake, and Shenmue coming back.  But the game that I'm most looking forward to is Dreams.  Might be reading too much into this, but it's coming across like Little Big Planet mixed with what people dream about.  There's something insanely fascinating about that.  Drawing a blank on the name, but the one where you're fighting robotic animals was insane also.

My concerns with E3:

1) No showing of Zelda Wii U whatsoever. The rumor going around is Nintendo is preparing the game for the Nintendo NX/Next and the Wii U may be the first Nintendo console without a mainline Zelda game.

2) Although Sony had a better conference, most of their highlights are not for games releasing in 2015. They have a very thin line. Not as thin as Microsoft's, but pretty close.

3) Microsoft's Rare Repeat is a "FU" to Rare fans. We don't want to play Knight Lore on Xbox One -- we want to play an original, new Rare game that takes advantage of the Xbox One. Sea of Thieves didn't really impress me and looks like a F2P MMO. I guess that's the problem with Microsoft -- they have executives looking at their phones when developers do presentations for them, not actual gamers.

4) As a Xbox 360 owner, I'm not very happy with backwards compatibility on Xbox One. Hopefully this won't speed up the process for Microsoft's Xbox 360 service to shut down. Maybe it won't and hopefully backwards compatibility is full compatibility (including multiplayer).

5) Rise of the Tomb Raider looks amazing and I can't wait to see it on PS4 in 2016 or 2017 (if at all).

6) Games that I wished were there: Dead Island 2, Sunset Overdrive 2, Quantic Dreams' new project, Mafia III, Aszu, Below, Homefront The Revolution, and some others.

I was thoroughly impressed with Horizon: Zero Dawn. It looks to tap that Dragon's Dogma/Dark Souls itch....it felt like a Japanese game, but it was made by Guerrilla Games.

I really don't get the love for Shenmue. It's a stupid game that was ambitious, but really rough. The campiest dialogue, a story that went...somewhere...QTEs, etc. There have been a bunch of games that have done what Shenmue did, but way better. 

When did you get such hatred in your heart?

It was a mediocre game and a really dumb franchise. Of all the things people hold dear for games, this is like that football phone that a hoarder just won't give up.

"This thing that people are excited for is stupid and I have this well-constructed and relevant analogy that I'm going to use to piss on their parade.  Bow to my superior gaming tastes."

• Like 1

Honestly, I've played quite a bit of Smash, and I don't think it's that great. I hate to be one of those guys, but I'm going to anyway: Melee was the best Smash game, and since then, these have gone downhill. It's still well-polished and everything, but it's not particularly fun, at least to me. I still play Melee, Power Stone 2, hell, even Kung Fu Chaos sometimes, but I doubt I'll be playing Smash years from now even when I do buy my WiiU used from a mom-'n-pop two years after its death. 

Well considering it looks like shit...

Note - I have never been a fan of that old timey Betty Boop/Steamboat Willie art style

You're literally the only person I've heard not be blown away by how the game looks, but alright.

I AM MY OWN MAN!

RIPPA isn't a fucking hipster either...the two douche nozzles that came up with this game, are.

• Like 1

1) No showing of Zelda Wii U whatsoever. The rumor going around is Nintendo is preparing the game for the Nintendo NX/Next and the Wii U may be the first Nintendo console without a mainline Zelda game.

Well, they said it wasn't going to be there when they announced its delay a month ago. So it sucks for Zelda fans, but it wasn't a shocker. I think it may come to both Wii U and NX the same way Twilight Princess came to Gamecube and Wii, but there's no way they'd straight-up cancel the Wii U version now.

2) Although Sony had a better conference, most of their highlights are not for games releasing in 2015. They have a very thin line. Not as thin as Microsoft's, but pretty close.

Wait, what? For this year, Microsoft's line-up has got Halo, Riseof the Tomb Raider, Forza, and the Gears remake all exclusively. Their line-up for this Christmas slaughters Sony's. And that's what even Sony fans have been complaining about (and rightfully so) the past few months. Though, that changed yesterday.

we want to play an original, new Rare game that takes advantage of the Xbox One.

Well that's exactly what you're getting, even if it's not your tastes. And it looks a lot more like a straight co-op game than an MMO.

4) As a Xbox 360 owner, I'm not very happy with backwards compatibility on Xbox One. Hopefully this won't speed up the process for Microsoft's Xbox 360 service to shut down. Maybe it won't and hopefully backwards compatibility is full compatibility (including multiplayer).

It is full compatibility including multiplayer. Phil Harrison confirmed it to IGN's Ryan McCaffrey. https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/610705582236905472

I'm glad that makes you and some others happy, but that series has never sold enough to make a monumental shift on the industry.

Says the board's biggest champion of that hotbed of gaming activity that is Evolve.

I'm glad that makes you and some others happy, but that series has never sold enough to make a monumental shift on the industry.

Says the board's biggest champion of that hotbed of gaming activity that is Evolve.

And? I never claimed Evolve would "win" an E3 conference for one side.