DVDVR Message Board

E3 2015

Shenmue will probably crush its stretch goal tomorrow.

Well, the main goal is already done. Took all of nine hours.

Not surprisingly - that is the Kickstarter record for fastest to one million AND two million dollars

Shenmue will probably crush its stretch goal tomorrow.

Well, the main goal is already done. Took all of nine hours.

Not surprisingly - that is the Kickstarter record for fastest to one million AND two million dollars

So they will all get a Thanks or a Producer credit.  Those Shenmue end titles are going to last longer than the gameplay.

• Like 1

I wonder what the two million was for, honestly. Unless you are building an indie title, I'd imagine it'd be hard to develop and release a first party game for a dormant IP for only $2 Million. I mean people will expect this game to be...y'know...actually good.

I wonder what the two million was for, honestly. Unless you are building an indie title, I'd imagine it'd be hard to develop and release a first party game for a dormant IP for only $2 Million. I mean people will expect this game to be...y'know...actually good.

It's gonna get a lot higher than 2 million and they knew it.

To prove that there's a market.  Sony themselves said they're funding a lot/distributing, but the Kickstarter was proof of market, and money for the Dev house themselves to bring to the table.  They met the development goal, every penny now is money Sony doesn't have to spend, thus making them happier.

Okay - I just went back and watched the Horizon: Zero Dawn trailer

I want all of this like yesterday

That game is pretty sweet but the most interesting thing is the disclaimer.  No one has forgotten about the Killzone shenanigans where Sony conveniently forgot to tell people that the E3 gameplay footage was run on a dev kit instead of a retail console.

M$ perpetuated the sin when Ubi ran Watch Dogs on an XBone dev machine and the graphics on the retail console ports looked nothing like the conference gameplay footage.

But yeah.  Bows and arrows, robot dinosaurs.  I'm in.

Cheers Big Fresh for letting me know about Xbox One backward compatibility over Facebook.

Anything said on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Batman: Arkham Knight, a Red Dead, a Marvel game and a WWE game? Need to head back to page ten of this thread.

I likely won't be playing an Xbox One, PlayStation 4 anytime soon so happy MGS V: TPP will be coming to Xbox 360 at least.

Metal Gear has a new trailer up on YouTube.

Arkham Knight isn't gonna be there at all since it comes out in a week.

Red Dead won't be there because Rockstar doesn't do E3.

Cheers mate. Will jump back to read what I've miised in the thread.

• Like 1

Cheers Big Fresh for letting me know about Xbox One backward compatibility over Facebook.

Anything said on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Batman: Arkham Knight, a Red Dead, a Marvel game and a WWE game? Need to head back to page ten of this thread.

I likely won't be playing an Xbox One, PlayStation 4 anytime soon so happy MGS V: TPP will be coming to Xbox 360 at least.

Metal Gear has a new trailer up on YouTube.

Arkham Knight isn't gonna be there at all since it comes out in a week.

Red Dead won't be there because Rockstar doesn't do E3.

Cheers mate. Will jump back to read what I've miised in the thread.

I was wrong about Arkham Knight (though it wasn't much).

That game is pretty sweet but the most interesting thing is the disclaimer.  No one has forgotten about the Killzone shenanigans where Sony conveniently forgot to tell people that the E3 gameplay footage was run on a dev kit instead of a retail console.

M$ perpetuated the sin when Ubi ran Watch Dogs on an XBone dev machine and the graphics on the retail console ports looked nothing like the conference gameplay footage.

This is my most anticipated new property.  That world looks like the exact type of place I would want to explore in a video game.  It is somehow futuristic and primitive at the same time and you get to kill robotic dinosaurs.  Count me in.

• Like 1

Where the hell is everyone getting "Sony is funding Shenmue 3?" The prelude for this isn't that Sony is investing in it, but instead a reference to their whole #BuildingTheList initiative, where they've been listening to fans and trying to make obscure games happen. And Shenmue is . The kickstarter doesn't mention Sony funding it at all. YsNet is not a Sony subsidiary. I imagine it is a proof of market thing like Bloodstained, but there's NO word that Sony is funding it anywhere at all except the BBC, who wrongly lists Sony as the starters of the Kickstarter. The PS4 exclusivity is probably a result of the deal that put that on the E3 stage. "We'll let you launch from our E3 presser if you agree to console exclusivity."

quasi-related: last year's Giant Bomb pax panel, where they asked Gio Corsi, the dude in charge of #buildingthelist, about Shenmue.

Where the hell is everyone getting "Sony is funding Shenmue 3?"

I dunno.  I thought everyone knew that YsNet was handling the heavy lifting. 

That being said, The Japanese are not that spontaneous, man.  Yu and Sony obviously have been in bed together for a while.  If Sony didn't have some cash invested in that title, Yu wouldn't have been on that stage.  The investment is there even if it isn't transparent, IMO.

Sony doesn't need to do any proof of market for Shenmue because they've known all along that if Shenmue 3 ever came out it would be an instant classic and they probably view this as a coming home party for Suzuki since Shenmue will once again be an exclusive on a Japanese console.  They have been cultivating this sentiment for over a decade.

You will see the same thing happen should a Skies of Arcadia sequel ever see the light of day via Kickstarter.

This reminded me of the Nat Geo miniseries on what would happen if humanity just disappeared.

My favourite thing about the Shenmue kickstarter is the comments section, where grown assed men admit to dropping several hundred dollars into the kickstarter for a game that will retail for like $50, but whining that they are getting a physical copy for PC instead of PS4 because PC gaming is expensive.

What I'm saying is Shenmue has captured a very specific market there, draw your own conclusions.

• Like 1

It really hasn't captured any market.   The Shenmue market never left.  They have waited patiently for that game for over ten years and they never stopped believing it was going to happen.  Even skeptics like me who didn't really think there would ever be another Shemue game are happy to see it arrive.

I really don't get the love for Shenmue. It's a stupid game that was ambitious, but really rough. The campiest dialogue, a story that went...somewhere...QTEs, etc. There have been a bunch of games that have done what Shenmue did, but way better. 

• Like 2

Microsoft has a poll for what games you want getting backwards compatibility first

Of course - they will probably ignore it and most people have terrible taste

The Borderlands and Halo games have to be near the top of the pile. 

Someone's probably started a thread already at the Bioware website to urge voting for ME 1-3.

I really don't get the love for Shenmue. It's a stupid game that was ambitious, but really rough. The campiest dialogue, a story that went...somewhere...QTEs, etc. There have been a bunch of games that have done what Shenmue did, but way better. 

Yeah, rose colored rear view mirror and all but there weren't any games that did what Shemue did or tried to do at the time that Shenmue came out or looked as good doing it.

Even so, I think a lot of people that went apeshit at the presser are more in love with what they think Shenmue 3 will be able to rather than what Shenmue was capable of doing back in the day.  Like most video game cults of personality, it is a masochistic relationship.