DVDVR Message Board

E3 2015

I'd be a lot more excited about Halo 5 if they:

1. Brought back Firefight

2. Had matchmaking for playing the campaign co-op. Halo Reach had it, Halo 4 didn't. I hope Halo 5 does, since the squad is such an important part of the game.

Well considering it looks like shit...

Note - I have never been a fan of that old timey Betty Boop/Steamboat Willie art style

You're literally the only person I've heard not be blown away by how the game looks, but alright.

Well considering it looks like shit...

Note - I have never been a fan of that old timey Betty Boop/Steamboat Willie art style

You're literally the only person I've heard not be blown away by how the game looks, but alright.

I AM MY OWN MAN!

As someone who's never played Shenmue...why is it so important?

It looks to be such a big deal...but I feel that if i played three i'd miss out on 1 and 2...

I hate to say it, but it's definitely one of those "you had to be there" type of deals.  When the game came out, there was NOTHING like it.  The open world aspect, the millions of NPCs with unique voices, and the first game to really use QTE.  The story is decent, and the fighting is ok, but the charm definitely came with spending all of your time with the characters, and the bad voice acting made it even better.  Also, going through the routine of your day was somewhat endearing.  If it gets a HD release I definitely say check it out, but don't expect to be blown away like 19 year old RandomAct was.

As for it getting an X-Box port, I just don't see it with Sony helping to fund the project.

As someone who's never played Shenmue...why is it so important?

It looks to be such a big deal...but I feel that if i played three i'd miss out on 1 and 2...

I hate to say it, but it's definitely one of those "you had to be there" type of deals.  When the game came out, there was NOTHING like it.  The open world aspect, the millions of NPCs with unique voices, and the first game to really use QTE.  The story is decent, and the fighting is ok, but the charm definitely came with spending all of your time with the characters, and the bad voice acting made it even better.  Also, going through the routine of your day was somewhat endearing.  If it gets a HD release I definitely say check it out, but don't expect to be blown away like 19 year old RandomAct was.

As for it getting an X-Box port, I just don't see it with Sony helping to fund the project.

Fair enough - so it was a game changer for its time. Makes sense why there was a nostalgia pop for it.  plus how they got the 2mil in less than 12 hours.

Looks a really pretty game.

It singlehandedly justified my buying a Dreamcast as the system was being dropped.

The fact that when I finally got an OG X-Box I could never get my hands on a copy of part II still breaks my heart.

Is Sony funding the project? Then why the hell did they need a Kickstarter? That seems like a pretty awful example of exploiting your audience!

Not really.  You've said yourself, games are getting way more expensive to make without retail price going up, and physical media costs being significantly less doesn't offset the production costs.  Shenmue, while sandbox games owe a ton to it, wasn't a commercial success.  II dropped at the Dreamcast's End of Life, and XBox was the wrong console to port it to (it pretty much lost its Japan base due to XBox being a technical "flop" in Japan), and even in the US, II wasn't viable.  3 has been in Dev hell for years with Sega because they didn't want to pay for it without thinking it was gonna get anything.

So, considering that a game like Mighty No. 9 (basically Mega Man 11 with no Capcom support) got fully funded, Game devs using Kickstarter to prove a market and get some funding isn't a bad idea, and we the gamer get to kick money into games that *we* want to play.  Yeah, Sony's distrubuting Shenmue 3 and picking up some costs, but it still makes sense that they'd be weary about dropping money into something that's going to be grand scale where the first 2 games didn't set sales charts on fire.  So, use Kickstarter to show Proof of Market, get some extra funding, and get a game that, let's face it, a niche market is going to play, and it wouldn't see the light of day otherwise.

This could start a trend of other cult favorates that we've been waiting for sequels for could happen if we kick in.

Now, if you want awful examples of exploiting your audience, we can discuss Freemium Pay-to-win games, Early Access Scams, and Indy Kickstarters/Go-Fund-Me's.

• Like 1

I am thrilled that the hardware finally caught up with the ambition that Shemue had, but I got burned by the cliffhanger in Chapter II and the FIFTEEN YEAR GAP IN RELEASES hasn't done much to get me pumped about the third installment. 

Naturally all will be forgiven if Shenmue 3 plays like Sleeping Dogs on roids and meth.

I'm obviously thrilled by ME4 and No Man's Sky is very sexy.

I loved the concept and what they showed of No Man's Sky last year. I'm hoping it'll come out eventually.

My reaction to the FF VII remake is basically this:

(spoiiler: I'm each of the guys all at once, I am not the calm woman)

• Like 1