DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

There is a perhaps apocryphal story about the premiere of Eyes Without a Face in which the unsuspecting audience at the Edinburgh Film Festival were fainting and vomiting during the surgery scenes, prompting the director to quip, "Now I know why Scotsmen wear dresses". All of Scotland was immediately given ice for that sick burn. 

• Like 1

I was all set to get my pitchforks out and shame Bite for seemingly giving everything away and there's no way a trailer for a Film like Cronenberg's The Fly would have given that much away...

Then I watched the '86 trailer for The Fly and it pretty much showed the exact same amount.

It's no fun when you don't have the high ground.

Eyes Without A Face will STILL fuck you up 55 years later. Bite probably just got a couple wusses with sadistic friends that gave them a couple drinks and brought them to the screening because they knew they'd do something bad... kinda like Jackass 2. But I still wanna watch it! 

Watched "Leprechaun: Origins" today. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great either but could have been worse. I think if it had been pushed as something separate from the original series I may have liked it more. I do enjoy that series in all its cheesy goodness (except Leprechaun 4: In Space. Fuck that movie so hard.) and this felt worlds apart from that. One thing I was left wondering is why the leprechaun had Predator-vision

The Canal is going to be released on DVD in September.  Have heard good and bad about it and it will be nice to check it out for myself.

Also noticed that The Gracefield Incident is available on demand now.  That limited release didn't last long.

Dunno if any of you get Chiller on your satellite/cable provider but it's old school day and they're showing Vampire's Kiss, The Crazies, The Hidden (oh yeah!), and Class of 1999 today. They're all replaying too so you can set your DVR if you're busy working now. I highly, highly recommend The Hidden, a very underrated and totally '80s movie about a bodysnatching alien bug with a taste for heavy metal and fast cars being chased by an alien bug cop played by Kyle MacLachlan. Yeah, it's that crazy. 

• Like 1

Dunno if any of you get Chiller on your satellite/cable provider but it's old school day and they're showing Vampire's Kiss, The Crazies, The Hidden (oh yeah!), and Class of 1999 today. They're all replaying too so you can set your DVR if you're busy working now. I highly, highly recommend The Hidden, a very underrated and totally '80s movie about a bodysnatching alien bug with a taste for heavy metal and fast cars being chased by an alien bug cop played by Kyle MacLachlan. Yeah, it's that crazy. 

FiOS screwed me.   Chiller used to be on the Extreme Package but then they switched it to the Ultimate two weeks before we signed up and our bill is crazy enough as it is.

I know the feeling; my household just dropped the HBO/Showtime/Cinemax package entirely. I don't even get to finish True Detective now. Luckily we still get El Rey and AXS TV. I put my foot down on those not being dropped and thankfully the reduced package still had 'em.

Man Vampire's Kiss is fucking weird.

The Hidden has actually popped up a few times on SyFy in the last couple of months; mostly late at night and even then trimmed of naughty words and other bad stuff for the kids. I have the DVD but would still flip over to SyFy late at night to catch this. Honestly I don't remember it being hurt too bad by being shown on basic cable. Now that was my biggest problem with Chiller when I did have it; since it's basic cable anything cool they show the worst stuff gets trimmed out so why bother?

Oddly the one thing I remember from Chiller is one of those real cheap DTV serial killer things about Henry Lee Lucas starring soap opera purdy boy Antonio Sabato Jr., as Henry with Sabato sporting some half-assed attempt at a lazy eye. I shit you not. It was about as effective as when a guy's evil twin pops up wearing a moustache or you can tell these humanoids are aliens from another galaxy because their skin has been spraypainted silver. 

Back to that Bite trailer; the first thing I thought of is poor Helen Shaver in The Believers. Now that was guh-ross!

Chiller is totally not like that anymore. It's gore city and the only thing they cut is swears. They even just blur nudity instead of cutting the scene out! 

Class of 1999 was pretty badass. I had no idea the kid from Near Dark, Pam Grier, and Stacy Keach were in it. Or freakin' Malcolm McDowall. The Terminator-ed out finale with each cyborg revealing a different arm weapon was boss and they got wrecked in some pretty gnarly ways. 

The Hidden

Remember when you first watched Babylon 5 and you were all, "Hey!  Brenda the hot stripper from The Hidden is second in command!"

Or was that just me?

Yeah, I had Chiller on DirectTV back in 2012 I believe. I don't know jack about Class of 1999 except that it was featured on Everything Is Awful 2: Tokyo Drift and besides all those folks you mentioned I noticed the crime lord from DeathWish IV:Crackdown was apparently the principal from what I could tell. I loved Class of 1984 so if it's anywhere near rad as that I'll have to check it out.

The Hidden

Remember when you first watched Babylon 5 and you were all, "Hey!  Brenda the hot stripper from The Hidden is second in command!"

Or was that just me?

Man, I don't know shit from shinola about Babylon 5. I did finally see Maniac Cop 2 though and she was in that (as a police psychologist, no kinky shenanigans) which has to give her some kind of cult queen status.  What I think would've really elevated The Hidden is if they kidnapped George C. Scott's grandkids and forced him to play William Miller. Ah, who am I kidding? It's awesome enough as is.

The Hidden

Or was that just me?

I saw Babylon 5 first and only parts of The Hidden afterward so it was the other way around for me.

I watched The Redwood Massacre. Some people said it was 'the slasher movie of 2014' and whatnot. Good grief, is it atrocious. The story is horribly, horribly, horribly stupid, and the characters even more so. Stay clear of this one. If I had to pick between this and Ouija, I'd sooner re-watch Ouija than this one. Sweet Lord.

I'm watching Rose Red mini-series from 2002. It's from a screenplay Stephen King wrote.

Creepy big house? Check.

Little ghost girls saying creepy nursery rhymes? Check.

Frustrated discredited professor who just HAS to prove paranormal activity exists at all costs? Check.

A band of misfits who team up to investigate everything? Check.

I don't know, I'm halfway through and it's hard to fight the feeling this wouldn't have been a better book instead. But it's decent for what it is.

Like a foul in a boxing match The Redwood Massacre deserves to have points deducted and yes I do bring up boxing match for a reason.

So for most of the movie this guy does the usual wham bam thank you ma'am quick and dirty in/out slashing. But later they decide to have this big oaf punch people as hard as he can in the face at point blank range half a dozen times. So the first guy to get his face pounded like hamburger meat; it's acceptable....the dark colored sticky icky gore obscures his face so there's no real need to have his skull be swelled up to the proprotions of the Elephant Man and display signs of trauma. Plus even though the pummeling do didn't him in, he's done in shortly after the pummeling so it doesn't really matter that he should've been already been comatose via brain damage.

But then after him the next victim is an average-sized woman who absorbs the same dozen or so punches straight to the face. Now even for a movie that had played the slashing as straight violence instead of going for any out and out Victor Crowley cartoonish tomfoolery the punches still should've been enough to kill any of these victims. Not only does she survive pretty much immediately getting back up and running around at a full sprint but besides some karo syrup slathered on her face there is no effort made by the effects team to make her look like somebody who has been pummeled in the face by a monster three times her size. So unless Redwood Massacre killer hits like a total bitch this piece of crap features some of the worse discontinuity in terms of total lack of effects ever. Think that stupid vetoed ending to that one eighties actioner where a fucking guy was supposed to survive a shotgun blast to the face.

Besides that effects laziness this one was as formulaic as could be and besides seems like they've made dozens of these paint-by-numbers backwoods things since the age of Netflix.

• Like 1