DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

So I checked out When Animals Dream and without going into too much detail (mostly because it didn't inspire me positively or negatively), I would say wait for this on whatever streaming service you have. It moves slowly, it allows you to see both sides of a particular issue and has the standard horror movie character tropes. The movie means well but it just falls flat.  

I enjoyed Oculus for what it was.  The short is far better than the movie, IMO.  

I always advise people to watch the movie before watching the short.  Then you won't be jaded.   Once you compare the two, you usually find the movie to be extended minimalism.

The horror in the extended feature feels like filler after you take a good hard look at the base material..   Oculus is a story that does its best work within the limits of short film.

There are no unique ideas in Hollywood.   Kevin Smith also had a horror-comedy based on the Krampus legend coming out around the same time and had to rename his project to Anti-Claus.

Despite feeling really weird about the premise, I'll probably check this out anyway since it is helmed by the man that gave us Trick 'r Treat and that movie was fucking awesome.

Hey, there is a movie with black people in it coming out this weekend where one of them is a fucking psycho!   The ironic thing being that the crazy person is not being played by Sanaa Lathan!

I am actually looking forward to going to see The Perfect Guy this weekend.

To those whk saw the Krampus carol I posted:

That is one half of the Pavlovian reaction in my brain that occurs when Bray Wyatt comes out in his horny hoodie that Sissy Abigail got him for Christmas.

That other thing that pops in my head? "Weeee ... are the Knights who Saaaaaay ... Ni!"

("ni" "ni" "ni" "ni")

Goodnight Mommy

Twin boys who do everything together, from collecting beetles to feeding stray cats, welcome their mother home after her reconstructive surgery. But with her face wrapped in bandages, and her demeanor distant, they grow suspicious of her identity.

Looks awesomely creepy. Unfortunately it's not showing anywhere in my town this weekend so I'm hoping to see this streaming somewhere around Halloween.

• Like 1

I liked the Visit quite a bit. It has very good performances all around and the found footage aspect is handled better than in the majority of cases. I'd say it's more of a black comedy with some nice jump scares than a pure horror picture. I did think the twist in the third act was overly choreographed and obvious, but the audience I saw it with loved it. It was a fun night out at the movies, which I haven't been able to say about an M. Night movie in over a decade.

Saw the Poltergeist remake.  Or reboot or reimagining or whatever.

It was a very inoffensive remake.  No real good reason to go out of your way to see it if you've seen the (much better) original, but it wasn't terrible.  If you;re interested in seeing it just as a curiosity, I wouldn't try to dissuade you.  Everyone gives good performances.  Even the kids are decent, which is a rarity.  Jared Harris fills in the Tangina role and is pretty good, and there are nods to the original (Harris plays the host of a Ghost Hunter TV show whose tagline is #thishouseisclean).  There's also a throwaway reference to Evil Dead, because Sam Raimi is one of the producers.

Anyway, like I said, it's a pretty average film that maybe you could see if you had some time to kill but nothing you should go out of your way to watch.

I read an article that mentioned how The Visit is the best M. Night movie in a decade (the very DEFINITION of damning with faint praise).  It mentioned that there was a TWIST~! so I went straight away to Wikipedia to read the synopsis.  Holy shit, what is the point of this guy still making movies seriously you guys what the everloving fuck?

In the tradition of other directors resting on the laurels of a great movie, M. Night continues to gets prop for films done at his peak and that was a long time ago..  He has yet to direct anything the caliber of Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, or Signs and all of his films since 2002 have been remarkably bad,

Yet this man still continues to get work.

You will never see "FROM THE MAN THAT BROUGHT YOU THE HAPPENING AND AFTER EARTH" on a project that M. Night is directing and desperately wants you to spend money on.

• Like 2

Saw the Poltergeist remake.  Or reboot or reimagining or whatever.

Gotta love Hollywood's WWE-like mindset of dictating what they want to see. Audiences have consistently said that they're not terribly fond of remakes; do the studios stop doing remakes? Nope, they just redefine what a remake is and keep making them under different labels.

I can't believe I'm going to bat for M. Night, but the wiki entry doesn't do the movie justice. It's surprisingly funny and it has moments of emotional incisiveness he hasn't reached since Signs. It's pretty perfectly cast. The twist was fine, he just laid more groundwork for it than need be, so I saw it coming. The audience absolutely lost their shit when it's revealed, so I can't complain too much. It actually got a cheer at the end. I won't go crazy and call it a return to form, but it's an assured veteran director doing solid work.

While I agree with prianesi in that this is something done by several movies before - I think a lot of it has to do with it being M. Night and folks being all IT'S NOT THE HAPPENING SO IT'S GOOD~!

That being said - folks being 'shocked" at the reveal are stupid