DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I like the idea of Marble Hornets, but actually watching the show got rather tedious. In theory, this is something I should love: Slender Man is a fairly terrifying villain as a concept, and the show is a DiY tribute to no-budget filmmakers who won't let their absolute lack of resources prevent them from doing what they love. And the show being filmed in so many "modern ghost town" areas, abandoned or ruined buildings, just adds to the whole feeling of watching contemporary myth-making at work. So it's too bad that I found too many of the episodes themselves to be slow, repetitive, and poorly acted; and of course that endless handheld shakycam gets very old very fast. After about thirty episodes were behind me and I still had no idea what the hell was going on and the show didn't seem in any hurry to do anything but keep Lost-ing with its ever-growing spiderweb of a plot (containing the mummified bodies of many a dead plot point that goes forever unexplained). I WANT to like it, and on occasion it comes up with some truly disturbing visuals and jump scares, but it felt like it spends 99% of the time teasing the audience or pretending to foreshadow some big decisive climaxes that just never fuckin' happen.

The creators are on record as saying they felt they wasted too much time in the streych you're discussing. In their AMA they repeatedly cite it as the thing they'd do different in the future.

Most of what you're saying is addressed actually. Jay is a bad actor so for the last quarter or so...

Tim becomes the co-lead, then just the lead.

A lot of the conspiracy stuff is dealt with in a handwave fashion, albeit one that works really well.

Slendy's presence is corrupting, thus everyone around him going varying degrees of nuts, thus apophenia and some weird ideas about what it wants and how to stop it. Alex probably comes closest in noting that it seems to want to be watched, giving it a sort of tulpa quality.

The ending is also great with

Tim killing Alex and going back to pretending Slendy doesn't exist. The reveal Jessica is alive shows that he's withheld stuff from both Jay and the viewer and when he breaks into a coughing fit only to cut to him driving away and the extemely unsettling "Everything is fine." declaration...so good.

It's the best of its breed because they changed based on what's working and what isn't over time. The ending is nenar perfect in my eyes as a cap on what the series was. It's why I'm so interested in Clear Lakes 44...it's a series where they're starting at the height of their powers.

Having finished up Night Mind's recap and going back and watching some of the entries, I kind of have my own take on totheark's motives.

I totally agree with Night Mind's idea that Seth was the founding member of totheark, but I think there;s more to his motives then just finding the place The Operator stashed bodies. I think Seth was looking for Sarah and that she is The Ark.

If we agree that Seth is totheark, then that means every person from the original Marble Hornets filming had some role in what was currently going on; except for Sarah. Also in some of totheark's more later, seemingly more panicked videos there were images of a woman's face. I think most people thought it was Jessica, but if Tim had her safe somewhere then why would totheark care about finding her?

That being said, I cannot wait to see where this ride takes us next.

Anyone get a chance to watch Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story? How was it? It is worth the viewing?

It is not entirely horrible but not all that great either.  It beats you over the head with Slender Man rather than using the effective MH device of making him ever present but unrevealed until it mattered.

When Animals Dream

"A teenage girl's sexual awakening unleashes something primal within, revealing a dark family secret. On the run and in mortal danger, embracing a century's old curse will be her only way to survive."

Just curious if anyone has seen this and thinks it's worth checking out. 

I have heard from the message boards at Dread Central that the movie is a bit tedious, but that may be false positive reviews from gorehounds that do not like atmospheric thrillers.

It is supposed to be a slow burn horror film with little bloodletting akin to The Babadook, Exam, and Coherence and that is a good thing.

• Like 2

Having finished up Night Mind's recap and going back and watching some of the entries, I kind of have my own take on totheark's motives.

I totally agree with Night Mind's idea that Seth was the founding member of totheark, but I think there;s more to his motives then just finding the place The Operator stashed bodies. I think Seth was looking for Sarah and that she is The Ark.

If we agree that Seth is totheark, then that means every person from the original Marble Hornets filming had some role in what was currently going on; except for Sarah. Also in some of totheark's more later, seemingly more panicked videos there were images of a woman's face. I think most people thought it was Jessica, but if Tim had her safe somewhere then why would totheark care about finding her?

That being said, I cannot wait to see where this ride takes us next.

Per THAC, TTA was

Doing what they thought was right to make the situation end.

Basically while there may be nuggets of truth, it's mostly the ramblings of a crazy person driving stuff along.

Also the TTA stuff will carry over to Clear Lakes 44 somewhat insofar as what The Ark is will apparently be explained there.

They announced the lineup for the Toronto Film Festival's 2015 Midnight Madness program a week or so ago.  See http://tiff.net/festivals/festival15/films#midnightmadness.  Click the movies for detailed summaries.

Baskin sounds interesting.  You don't just throw around comparisons to Martyrs unless there's a good reason.

This screening promises to be just as disturbing and scandalous as the 2008 Midnight Madness showing of Pascal Laugier's Martyrs — and, at the very least, we might just set the world record for the largest number of people gathered together in North America to see a Turkish movie at midnight.

I've been saying this on Facebook and the like: There weren't a ton of Craven films I loved individually, but almost no other creators had the balls to try new shit constantly the way he did. Nightmare is incredible and the way New Nightmare twists it is great. Scream is a brilliant concept even if the movies are eh. Even something like They is a great and creepy idea hampered by a low budget and thus bad actors.

The guy was amazingly creative and that more than anything made him a favourite of mine.

As I said in the Wes Craven thread, all of his films had the common thread of either challenging reality or ripping away the veil of security that we fooled ourselves into believing was actual reality.  

Freddy Krueger and the monsters from They attacked us in our most vulnerable moments (ie. when we were asleep) from the relative safety of their own dimensions.

The mutants from The Hills Have Eyes had their own society tucked away snugly right underneath our very noses and we were none the wiser until they decided to reveal themselves to those unfortunate enough to stumble upon their existence.

Even the veneer and illusion of quiet suburban life gave way to terror in The People Under The Stairs and Last House on the Left.

And who does not love the brilliant parody of Scream and New Nightmare which bends or smashes straight through the fourth wall?

Craven will be missed.  Not all of his films were critically acclaimed but he proved that horror is not the genre for hacks that industry snobs believe it is.   It takes imagination to bring those visions to the screen and it takes mastery of craft to turn them into quality productions.

• Like 3

At the same time you have to admit that he had more misses than hits. Deadly Blessing, Hills II, Deadly Friend, Swamp Thing, Shocker (I know those are all nostalgic favorites for many of us but you have to remember that they are mostly crap). Even the original Nightmare comes off embarrassingly cheesy in parts and I refuse to even discuss Vampire in Brooklyn. But when the man was on, he was ON

At the same time you have to admit that he had more misses than hits. Deadly Blessing, Hills II, Deadly Friend, Swamp Thing, Shocker (I know those are all nostalgic favorites for many of us but you have to remember that they are mostly crap). Even the original Nightmare comes off embarrassingly cheesy in parts and I refuse to even discuss Vampire in Brooklyn. But when the man was on, he was ON

As a horror snob I have to agree that the things that Craven did for the studio to keep bills paid were pretty awful, but you could see the love and craft in the projects he felt strongly about.

Fiiiiinally saw OCULUS.  I liked it a lot.  I was annoyed at first about some of the same stuff people have brought up in other threads, about her overly elaborate plans, and the suspension of disbelief required to get them into this perfect situation but by the end I liked that aspect.  

I liked to think that the entity had her in its power the whole time, the whole time she was researching it.  The very fact that she sought it out so she bould bring it to herself and spend time with it meant that she was doomed from the before we ever meet her.   Thinking of it that way made it into an allegory for obsession and our powerlessness over the anxieties or traumas that motivate us this way or that.

I also enjoyed it as a kind of evocation of powerlessness.  The mirror is never in danger.  It's power is overwhelming and they were never for a moment in control.  I've read that some people thought it was a simple premise overly stretched but I thought that added to the metaphor.  The flashbacks told us at the beginning what was going to happen, but it was really terrible to see two powerless kids locked in this situation.  To see everyone falling into place so predictably, like a little Stanford Prison experiment.  In those scenes there was the added horror of powerlessness in the face of parental authority and over-willingness to defer and sink into a denial that things are still "normal" when they clearly aren't...because, what else are you going to do? 

And then in the "present" scenes powerlessness in the sense of not ever being in control of what motivates you.

At least that's how I took it.  I didn't ever wonder if it was all just mental illness.  I committed fully to the supernatural aspect and found that it turned the tension on me quite nicely.

It also helped that my wife had just bought an old wooden floor mirror at a thrift store, and I was able to sneak out and reposition it so that when she went to bed it was waiting there for her.

I'm a fucking asshole.  But it was pretty funny.