DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Point taken, I'll go back and watch the first couple in the series as I haven't seen them in quite a while. Still, I'm a fan of the supernatural bullshit. I enjoyed Jason Goes to Hell quite a bit and I'm pretty sure I read on here that you have hate in your heart for that one.  True that Jason isn't Michael Myers but I like mystery.  I hated that Zombie gave Myers this big fucked up backstory and made him out to be a sympathetic figure.

I take that back. Those parts were INTERESTING... but not what I want out of Myers.  Maybe if the film was something not called Halloween.

I think Jingus basically beat me to my argument. But yeah, I think aside from Freddy vs. Jason and Jason X (which isn't GOOD but I love) the remake is my favourite of them. The acting and delivery all just hits in a way the original series doesn't. I'm actually disappointed the sequel plans died.

But that Nightmare remake...yeesh. Very much a case of trying to make something scarier doing the opposite by taking itself too seriously. It's not even terribly made so much as grotesquely lifeless.

Fuck Jason Goes To Hell. Up the ass. With a sword. That's on fire.

This. With a caveat, what Niners said about Halloween and what I've said about Halloween 3; Not a bad movie per say, but not what I want from this series. I watch Friday the 13th for Jason, so when most of the movie is no Jason, no thanks.

Basically no Jason, the dumbest character development ever (Pamela Vorhees, the utter psycho, was a voodoo master? Uh-huh.), and its terrible anyway.

Except the first scene and last shot

I saw the F13 reboot on opening night in a super ghetto theatre in Cleveland. It's probably my favorite movie going experience ever. During the first scene where jason is killing everyone with the traps and shit a dude stood up and said 'that brotha's shit too exclusive for the 09!' To which the rest of the theatre shouted in agreement. Later when the guy is going door to door and says his sister has been missing for three months, a woman informed us all that 'that white girl's pussy must be stank' which got an 'Amen Sister' from the woman behind her.

Any movie that can inspire those comments is a great one.

• Like 2

My most favorite horror movie going experience was when I went to see Cronenberg's adaptation of The Fly.  As the scenes got more and more graphic, the audience got smaller and smaller until there was only myself and a seventy year old lady left.

We both made it to the end.  As we walked out during the final credits, she smiled at me and said, "Sure were a lot of lightweights here tonight, eh?"  I nodded my acknowledgement and headed out to grab a burger.

• Like 4

I was working in a movie theater when The Blair Witch Project and The Sixth Sense both came out on the same weekend. I dunno if they still do this in the current age of digital projection, but back then the theaters employees would always screen every new print film late Thursday night before its release to make sure nothing was wrong with it. So basically, with very little idea of what either one of them was about, I walked in unawares to 6th Sense at midnight; and while still reeling from that experience, stumbled unprepared into Blair Witch at about two in the morning. And oh btw, my driving route home was a long, windinding, foggy, completely unlit back-road which was thickly lined with creepy trees. Oh, the nightmares, oh the nightmares...

• Like 1

Said before here, but Scream was a fucking riot on opening night with a bunch of fellow high school kids in the audience. I can never watch it again and enjoy it, sadly, but that was fun fun fun. The only thing better was Dead Alive with a bunch of fellow college kids. 

The Evil Dead remake was pretty fun too because I smuggled in a pint of voddy and there was some comedian sitting with his friends behind us cracking me and my friends up. (Yes, he was black, just in case you were wondering. Who's old sig was "watching horror movies with black people is always better" here again?) 

Oh, and shit! The Cabin in the Woods was also amazing because I knew about a dozen people in the audience and we were all dying laughing. And again, my friend smuggled in a big bottle of wine haha

Fuck Jason Goes To Hell. Up the ass. With a sword. That's on fire.

This. With a caveat, what Niners said about Halloween and what I've said about Halloween 3; Not a bad movie per say, but not what I want from this series. I watch Friday the 13th for Jason, so when most of the movie is no Jason, no thanks.

I think most people know this already, but the original concept for Halloween was for it to be a different halloween themed horror movie every year. Halloween 3 was actually supposed to be Halloween 2, but they decided to make a follow up to the Myers movie first, then shift to the original concept. 

• Like 1

The last time I swigged a pint in the parking lot before going into the theatre was before Saw II. Damn, it's been a while.

Late Phases is indeed a fine werewolf flick. It does suffer a little from the Glass Eye Pix structure I alluded to when talking about We Are Still Here. You get a big taste of early carnage to set things in motion but spend most of the movie with Ambrose the blind Vietnam vet as he runs across quirky characters like Larry Fessenden's headstone salesman and Dana Ashbrook as a gives no fucks gun store owner just to name a few. Ultimately though it's very much in the spirit of Silver Bullet.

However where Late Phases caught a ton of flack is the werewolf looking an awful lot like the gremlin from Twilight Zone: The Movie. The look of the werewolf didn't bug me as I just sort of went with it. It wasn't a ripoff (of other werewolf looks at least) and it wasn't CGI; good enough for me. I actually got a private chuckle out of the design because a few years back I told a buddy of mine to sketch up a werewolf for a comic book idea I had and lo and behold he instant messages me back an hour later with a sketch of the gremlin from Twilight Zone. I said "you silly ass! I was just watching Twilight Zone: The Movie; I'd recognize that wing-sabotaging gremlin anywhere."  Whether you dig the look of weregremlin or not, I still say the end showdown with Ambrose makes it all worth it.

It's the modern horror problem. They feel the need to foreshadow blatantly then immediately deliver before you forget. And they need to show everything. They also have a stupid shitty twist into a jumpscare planned for the ending.

And I'm the rare guy who still digs found footage films but my god, using found footage style made no sense here.

My problem was that if you cut out the ending and one or two bits, it's a good movie as is. I propose this:

Cut out the scene where it shows you what happened to the douchebag. Change ending to prop working correctly, Charlie satisfied by closed loop. Guy gets girl, no stupid twist.

Two changes total that would have at least made it decent rather than infuriating. Because the concept is great, the setting is great, there's strong tension early on, and the scene where

douchebag is in the small crawlspace and looks up to see the shadowed outline of a hanging body

are all great. The potential was there. Just...squandered.

And where the fuck was the awesome locker scene from the trailers? Coulda used that scale.

Today is Mario Bava's birthday.  Celebrate, bitches.

Yay! Time to put on my black gloves and black hat and black trenchcoat and... uh... sit quietly in my bedroom, I guess. Pretty sure just stepping outside in that outfit, in today's America, is a guarantee of getting shot dead within five minutes.

Ouija is the deformed mutant bastard child of Insidious and the 90s. Complete with Lin Shaye.

It's not good. But 7% on RT is some clear anti-horror bias as it's also not *that* bad.

It is that bad. Holy shit, that movie was in a realm far beyond atrocious.

Ex Machina was fucking awesome. I just wish

it went even more O. Henry in its misanthropy with the twist at the end. But I have no idea how that would go about. Eva making multiples of herself and overtaking the human race?

In any case, it was a stellar film.

I used my day off work yesterday to be lazy and watch movies and tv. I watched last week's episode of Scream. The show is getting better and has me fairly hooked by this point. I missed the new episode last night so I will be catching it as soon as it is on demand.

"It Follows" was really good. I enjoyed the atmosphere quite a bit and thought the characters were pretty realistic.

"Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones" was easily the best of that series (that I have seen, meaning it was better than the first which was okay and the second which I couldn't finish) by a longshot. I liked the characters much more than I did Katie or any others. Loved the idea of just shooting the coven and wish they had brought more gang members to the gun fight. The ending was kind of a wtf moment that I had to think about but I did like the tie-in to the first movie. Should I give the second one and the rest a shot? Are any of them as enjoyable as this? Also, has anyone seen the "Tokyo Nights" spin off?

The last movie I watched was "Found" and that was some hot garbage. I have seen opinions across the whole spectrum and I fall in to the group that did not like it. Horrible acting, bad editing in parts, poor sound design, no likeable characters, just nothing going for it.