DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Even if this movie was a bigger critical/fanboy bomb than it was, there's no way it wasn't going to make a billion dollars.  This is BATMAN MEETS SUPERMAN IN LIVE ACTION, PLUS JUSTICE LEAGUE CAMEOS we're talking about here.  This isn't a B-list franchise like Fantastic Four, receiving yet another who-asked-for-it reboot after a string of flops.  This movie was guaranteed to make money no matter what.  

• Like 1

Well, the idea of a set number is impossible, because it matters what country it comes from, because standard distributor/exhibitor cuts are different in different places.

If it doesn't make a billion worldwide, it will have the best domestic opening weekend if any movie not too. One of the Hunger Games movies holds that right now.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, the idea of a set number is impossible, because it matters what country it comes from, because standard distributor/exhibitor cuts are different in different places.

If it doesn't make a billion worldwide, it will have the best domestic opening weekend if any movie not too. One of the Hunger Games movies holds that right now.

This movie has the budget of about three Hunger Games movies put together.

Not unless they spent 370 million bucks it doesn't. 

The first Hunger Games had a relatively small budget, but the three sequels were all well over $100 million. Before advertising.

I'm not seeing the $500 mil estimate. Latino Review says $410 mil but acknowledges that's a rumour. Stated budget is $250 million and if that's the case it's already into profit. That said there's a ton of intangibles...advertising, licensing, toy revenue, the fact they've already announced a director's cut Blu Ray...I feel like it's a way more complicated film than usual and really we'll have to wait and see what WB does instead of rumours of what they're doing.

12 hours ago, EVA said:

WB doing reshoots for SUICIDE SQUAD to make it funnier

Thus confirming my earlier suspicion that the Queen trailer probably wasn't representative of the actual tone of the movie.

But good that they're correcting that.  Hope Jai Courtney hadn't shaved the mutton chops yet!

This feels like bs. Both the reshoots and lack of humor already in the film. The film in general seemed to be taking pieces/inspiration from the New 52, Assault on Arkham, and the original series. The original had plenty of humor, both legit & black. Harley's entire character is based around humor. Boomerang being a sociopathic goofball and Waller's bitch boy as a result was half the damn fun and the trailers seemed to push he would be closer to that version.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not unless they spent 370 million bucks it doesn't. 

The first Hunger Games had a relatively small budget, but the three sequels were all well over $100 million. Before advertising.

Adding in prints and advertising, they probably spent well over $370 million.

There's some stuff in there like Turkish Airlines that I would assume covered some costs.  I'd guess the break even is more around $800M maybe less and they are going to make a ton off toys/merchandise and DVD sales. Would we ever truly know what the break even is, probably not.

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Adding in prints and advertising, they probably spent well over $370 million.

Sure, but if we them include P&&A on The Hunger Games movies, that number will go up as well.

Probably indicative of nothing, or maybe it's indicative of SOMETHING, but I discovered this on YouTube just now that Wonder Woman's theme has more views than anything else on the soundtrack - nearly double the amount of views than the track with the second most amount of views.

I have a YouTube playlist setup to listen to and took a look at YouTube just now to see that.

Pretty sure it's indicative of the fact it's a badass theme and is a key moment in the film that everyone pretty much universally loved (I mean I'm sure there's a few people who did not like seeing Wonder Woman in her armor ready to kick ass)

Massive drop for Friday.  Some are saying it might only do around $50M this weekend. I think word of mouth has caught up to it.  They need to pull the plug on Justice League, push it back and try to figure out where to go from here.  Snyder will probably be the causality I have to assume. The smart move would be to throw a bunch of money at Ben for a solo Batman.

17 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The rumor is they want to squeeze a solo Bats movie into their 2018 slate, but yeah they'd definitely have to shelve JL or else it wouldn't work with Affleck's schedule. 

Normally I would say that solo Bats with Jared Leto's Joker would make a billion dollars, but with BvS tanking and SS being an unknown commodity, I am not sure how you fix the pending JLA trainwreck..

How fast can you cast Black Manta and write the script for an Aquaman movie?

Lots and lots of Green Arrow training montages maybe?

Gotham City Sirens spin-off from SS with Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy?

Ben allegedly has already written a script for a Batman movie.

They could do worse than letting an Oscar winning writer who also directed a Best Picture winner take a crack at total control of a Batman film.

58 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ben allegedly has already written a script for a Batman movie.

They could do worse than letting an Oscar winning writer who also directed a Best Picture winner take a crack at total control of a Batman film.

I've devoted my Twitter to reaching out to Affleck so he can hear my pitch for the solo movie, but shockingly I've yet to get a response. 

@BenAffleck So many ideas for next Batman. I've got pearls over here. Snatch them from me like I'm Martha Wayne! #twobensforbats