DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Has Cena been booed out of every Wrestlemania?  I can't remember one that he wasn't at this point.

If pro-wrestling ever becomes popular again (and it increasingly seems like it won't), people are going to wonder why this thing wasn't always so great and they're gonna take a trip down Wrestlemania's memory lane and see the biggest company's top guy getting shit on for over a decade.  Those people are going to be absolutely bewildered.

Cena got arguably the best reaction all night way back at WrestleMania 20. Crowd was so fucking into him it's almost scary.

Edit: When we went to Mania 29, my friend Jason was literally bewildered as we tried to explain to him that Cena was the number 1 good guy when he kept getting booed every time he was on the video screen.  He went for the god time/road trip but hasn't really watched since the 90's.

Yeah. I just watched WM XX yesterday. Cena was OVER at that time, and this was in front of the NYC/MSG crowd. Tons of Cena chants and a huge pop when he won the match. That was also the first time he did the AA/FU to Big Show, which was an amazing feat at the time (still is, really). People forget that Cena really WAS the most over guy in the company for a year or two. When he was WWE Champ over on Smackdown and was the #1 draft pick to RAW, man, that was a huge moment and one of the biggest all time pops on RAW

The Cena situation is interesting in that a vocal group want to root for a guy that's edgy but not "the" guy. So it was "cool" to root for the edgy rapping Cena who's not quite there just yet. Once Cena was anointed at "the" guy the boos really flowed. Also Cena is seen as the representation of the PG era that many of that group dislike because boobies and blood make wrestling fun or something. Now that Roman Reigns has taken over the boo this guy for no real reason spot and Cena's not in the main event picture, Cena's getting really good reactions again even though very little about his character has changed in the past five years or so.

The Cena situation is interesting in that a vocal group want to root for a guy that's edgy but not "the" guy. So it was "cool" to root for the edgy rapping Cena who's not quite there just yet. Once Cena was anointed at "the" guy the boos really flowed. Also Cena is seen as the representation of the PG era that many of that group dislike because boobies and blood make wrestling fun or something. Now that Roman Reigns has taken over the boo this guy for no real reason spot and Cena's not in the main event picture, Cena's getting really good reactions again even though very little about his character has changed in the past five years or so.

Get over yourself. How many times does it have to be explained why people rejected Roman's push?

And your narrative is broken, as Cena was the heel against a pro-Russian Federation outsider who rode into the arena on a tank.

Or you're just ignoring / lying to yourself about the real reasons people boo Cena.  Who knows?  Everyone's opinion is valid.  Like, my opinion is that Cena got booed at Wrestlemania and booed the following night on RAW, so your "Cena's getting really good reactions again" part is quantifiably, demonstrably wrong.  But that's just my opinion.

What kayfabe reason was there to boo Reigns? Yes I get why people boo'd Reigns. But HE didn't do anything to get booed. He was booed because Vince put him in a position that Daniel Bryan "should have been in"

As for Cena, he got the crowd rooting for him at points during Mania and during his match with Ambrose. Yes his reactions are getting better

Mizdow...Wouldn't have come close to the reaction that Rousey got. How many people googled Mizdow after Raw last night?

And thanks for the grammar correction. You are smarter than my phone.

How does anyone googling Ronda Rousey make WWE any money? Pretending the wrestlers that work there actually mean something might turn Mizdow into someone that can make money for the company.

Just because Vince has a hard-on for any mainstream publicity that isn't associated with Daniel Bryan doesn't mean that Ronda Rousey showing up to armdrag Triple H will actually do anything for anyone in the long run.

I think it's cute that you think Damien Sadnow can be a long term draw. The gimmick is fun and plainly over but once he's past the Miz feud where does it go? Especially given Sandow is horrifically bland in-ring?

It's a hot act right now but there was always a ceiling for it.

• Like 1

<snip a couple more things I have already addressed>

I didn't say long-term draw. I said he could make money for the company if they invest in him. Midcard comedy acts can sell merch too - but not when they're buried on pre-shows nobody watches in favor of celebrities that again, do not make money for the company.

The notion that someone who is bland in-ring can't make it past a certain level in the WWE is so ludicrous that I'm not going to bother naming the dozens of examples.

There is absolutely a ceiling for Sandow - and he is well under it because they botched the turn and are having him kiss Summer Rae or whatever idiocy the writers have come up with.

The Rock? Well, yeah, I agree with you there. Triple H & Stephanie? No. If anyone knows Stephanie outside of the wrestling bubble, it's purely because of her last name.

1. The Rock

2. Ronda Rousey

3. Stephanie McMahon

4. Triple H

I live inside the hockey bubble as well as the wrestling bubble (again, I have a friend that also lives in the wrestling bubble and didn't know who Rousey was), and in the hockey bubble people know very loosely who Triple H is, namely because of stuff like this:

1428735654550.gif

Triple H very effectively sums up all the low opinions people have of the WWE and professional wrestling and was around when it was popular and was usually on the TV when people would flick past it on their TV.  I'd say he's easily more well known than Stephanie God damn McMahon.  Honestly, not to say any of them could recognize Triple H, but who here could talk to their mom / dad / sister / relative that has never watched professional wrestling and could have any confidence that they'd know who Stephanie is?

EDIT: Triple H does return 302 million search results in Google compared to Rousey's 20 million, for what it's worth.

HHH has been around long enough and during all of the Attitude Era so a lot of people will have a vague recollection of him. Whether that makes him more famous than Rousey depends on how you define terms, but globally I think you could make a case. Fast forward a year or two and then maybe not.

I'm not saying its by some huge margin. Just I don't think she is as mainstream as people think. She is famous in wrestling/mma circles and could be a draw, but it would be the Brock problem times a million. 

As for the segment, I hate any talking segment longer than ten minutes on a ppv on principle alone. I also think the payoff was weak.

A few more high profile movie roles and she'll be the female Rock in no time.

In other news, I just rewatched the last half of 'Mania, and I'm glad they edited the botched Undertaker entrance.

Like Gina Carano and Haywire, right?

The MMA bubble-heads are acting like she's the top-billed cast member of Furious 7.  She isn't even featured in any of the advertising.  IMDB has her listed 21st in the cast list.  She apparently is featured in a fight with Michelle Rodriguez and gets less than 10 minutes of screen time.

• Like 3