DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BAM BAM BIGELOW

RIPPA

Aw man, I have all these Vader/Bigelow tags from NJPW on my external hard drive and just watched a really good one of them vs. Chono/Hashimoto, but it's not online. I found these though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovvsp98fleI

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3u3o4_doom-vs-big-van-vader-bam-bam-bigel_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x207mu7_ecw-living-dangerously-1998-bam-bam-bigelow-vs-taz_sport

I have to post this because of THE SPOT. Remember listening to the scrambled PPV feed and wondering just what the hell happened. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28ohfy_bam-bam-bigelow-vs-bret-hart-wwf-world-tour-barcellona-4-24-1993_sport

Selected by Bret for his DVD collection so you know it's good. The Oklahoma Roll still looks so cool when done on Bam Bam. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6iWv1tb3y8

I had no idea Bammer worked an All Japan tour; here he is against Dangerous K. There's also a Bam Bam/Davey Boy vs. Miracle Violence Connection tag that is too sad for me to post with all four guys being, ya know, dead.

Bam Bam saved a woman from a burning building, remember that folks. Wrestlers do some awesome stuff sometimes. 

• Like 2

Always dug Bammer. Never reached the heights everyone expected of him, but he had a pretty fun career.

Back in 2002 or so, Ray and I went down to Seaside Heights for an outdoor JAPW show where he worked Shane Douglas. Before the show I bopped up and down the boardwalk taking photos of everything, and as I was uploading them a few days later I suddenly noticed he was in a bunch of the shots I took. He was just hanging out there with his son and I never even saw him since his head tattoo looked like regular hair from a distance. Pretty funny.

Bigelow was awesome.  Seriously underrated wrestler.  He had one of the best celebrity matches dragging a blown up LT to a good match at Mania.

And I was about 5 people down from him and his old man on a fishing boat out of Belmar one Father's Day.  Fucking awesome dude.

My first exposure to Bigelow was in the WWF and I could tell he was a talented guy but never came off as a real threat.  He was big and could move, but always got treated as a bigger than average JTTS.  Then he showed up in ECW and was like a totally different person.  I don't know if it was Heyman or not, but they really got him there and booked him like the (mostly) unstoppable monster that he had the potential to be.  Even when he was putting Taz over he managed to make Taz look great without looking weak in the process.  Then he went to WCW and, well, it was latter-day WCW.  I think he and Mike Awesome are two of the biggest missed opportunities the WWE could have had post-invasion.  Didn't Bigelow have issues with the kliq that really hampered him?

I remember some guy on czwfans telling a story about him way back when-

Apparently the guy was still a teenager working the concession stand at some indy card that was featuring Bigelow against some local guy in the main event.  He had been told by the boss that everyone, even the wrestlers, had to pay for refreshments or it would come out of his pay.  The local guy in the main event apparently came back there and bullied the guy into giving him some free snacks.  He said Bigelow came by shortly thereafter and noticed he was clearly upset about something, and he mentioned the issue with the other wrestler.  Bigelow said he'd take care of it, then stiffed the hell out of the other guy in their match. 

I don't know if that story was true or if the details are right, but I wanted to believe it because based on other stories about how he was personally, it sounds true.

I know Nash has said something to the effect of "we didn't get along with him, but he could go in the ring so we were all cool working with him."

But it's Nash, so... Lord only knows how many grains of salt.

I think the problems between Bam Bam and the Kliq are at least in part due to his friendships with Shane Douglas and Chris Candido, who had their own issues with the Kliq.

I'm bummed that I didn't appreciate Bam Bam enough while he was still alive. I didn't see any of his ECW run until a few years ago. Holy hell, what a great big man he was. That three-way dance with Sabu and Taz was a blast.

I think the problems between Bam Bam and the Kliq are at least in part due to his friendships with Shane Douglas and Chris Candido, who had their own issues with the Kliq.

I'm bummed that I didn't appreciate Bam Bam enough while he was still alive. I didn't see any of his ECW run until a few years ago. Holy hell, what a great big man he was. That three-way dance with Sabu and Taz was a blast.

The Kliq stuff started before Bam Bam even got into ECW.  After his post-Mania 11 face turn, Nash and HBK *might've* fucked his run up just a tad, depending on who you listened to.  Certinally had an impact on him leaving WWF a few months after coming up huge in a Mania Main Event he needed to carry.