DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

Canelo vs. GGG is the fight i want. 

I might pay to see that fight if it happened.

My money is on GGG destroying Canelo's digestive tract if that fight ever happens.

Probably not the fight GGG was looking for, but probably one that he can't turn down right now.

Probably the best fight for him now.  I dont see Cotto or Canelo wanting to fight him any time soon and watching him drub random ranked WBA contenders is exciting but at times not very challenging.  Hope the fight happens.  

Definitely getting caught in the feels watching Friday Night Fights tonight.  I've always loved shows like this and Tuesday Night Fights back in the day, and hope something like this pops up again soon(on something more visible than say FS-2).

Definitely getting caught in the feels watching Friday Night Fights tonight.  I've always loved shows like this and Tuesday Night Fights back in the day, and hope something like this pops up again soon(on something more visible than say FS-2).

The TruTV boxing series started up not too long ago and had a pretty good fight between Emmanuel Taylor and Antonio Orozco. I dunno if the PBC on ESPN thing will be as weekly as FNF, but the fighters should be at least noteworthy. Thurman vs. Collazo ain't bad considering guys like Anges Adjaho and Ammeth Diaz once main evented Friday Night Fights. Breidis Prescott got multiple FNF main event appearances YEARS after the goodwill from the Khan KO subsided.

The TruTV show seems promising, and looks to be the spiritual successor to FNF.  I like seeing noteworthy guys, but I've always liked seeing the "almost there" guys just as much.  One thing that seems evident to me, I don't think Teddy and Tessetore are being brought over for the PBC shows.

Last I saw, Atlas and Tessitore are staying on as the commentators. I'm guessing Osuna will do it when Tessitore is out of town for college football just like they've done it for the last couple years ago. Something can always happen in the interim, but it's not like there is a surplus of boxing announcers. Plus, I imagine that was one of the conditions when ESPN signed on to do it.

I hope so, there just seems to be a lot of vague shade casting by the crew tonight towards PBC.  It really gave off the vibe that they aren't thrilled with it at all, for whatever reason.

Well, it essentially went from having no Al Haymon fighters for a long time to being a venue for Haymon fighters. That plus the name change will do that to you. There will be changes internally with the production, but ESPN will still pretty much be a giant part of that.

This last week I decided to get into boxing and am sad to learn this was the last episode of FNF. From the little snapshot I saw of the series it looked like one of the last genuine series on ESPN. FNF What boxing shows would you guys suggest would be the best to learn the sport now that FNF is off the air?

This last week I decided to get into boxing and am sad to learn this was the last episode of FNF. From the little snapshot I saw of the series it looked like one of the last genuine series on ESPN. FNF What boxing shows would you guys suggest would be the best to learn the sport now that FNF is off the air?

HBO World Championship Boxing & Boxing After Dark - Really pretty much the same talent level on each show except you'll have prospects actually main event BAD every now and then. There have been programs on HBO2 & HBO Latino, but I don't think it will be a be regular thing anymore if the quality doesn't improve. HBO didn't even pick up the next Top Rank Macau show with Nonito Donaire. Donaire, prior to getting wiped out by Nicholas Walters, was one of the top TV stars in the last five years. So that says everything. I believe the ones HBO doesn't pick up will be on UniMas, which also airs cards featuring Top Rank prospects.

ShoBox - Not airing as frequent as it once was, but they do have good and/or at least intriguing talent. Not sure if it will continue in its current form with PBC, but it has been on for a long time.

TruTV Friday Night Knockout - See the replies above. It's promising but the main events really have not been matched well. Top Rank is basically using it for tuneups for their lower tier stars in between their premium cable appearances.

Golden Boy Live! & LA Fight Club - The Golden Boy versions of the Top Rank's UniMas/TruTV series all on FS1.

The PBC on NBC shows so far have shown clips from the past that are interesting. I don't know if the afternoon edition today will do that, but I would check it out anyway. Premier Boxing Champions also airs on CBS, Spike, and is co-branded w/ the main Showtime Boxing Championship events on SHO. Also, they air post-lims after the main shows have ended on NBC and CBS on NBC Sports Network and CBS Sports Network respectively. The NBC Sports Network one will start at 6 p.m. EST today, but it might be delayed since the main one will probably run long.

Basically what he said.  In a nutshell, anything that isn't fights between the "megastars" will give you a good foothold and understanding of the sport.  FNF was great for letting you see guys at almost every level besides superstar.  You'd see guys with 4 fights under their belt, journeymen who were there to test the "next big thing" and everything in between.  ShoBox, when they actually show it, is a close approximation of that.  Same for the TruTV show.  I feel like in a year, PBC will basically resemble FNF main events.  It's already BAD level.

If you're looking to dive into the great fights of yesteryear, and aren't sure what to look at, go to www.allthebestfights.com. They have some pretty comprehensive ranked lists, that, while not perfect, gives you a good idea what to look for.  You can find a ton of stuff on Youtube, and if you're inclined, I have a few sources of fights, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you are.

Double post: Not a bad fight between Dirrell and DeGale this afternoon. One of the better PBC fights so far.

Good fight, how one of the judges had DeGale down for an 8point win is baffling.

Very close fight.

• Like 1

Yeah, there were swing rounds. However, there was one stretch of maybe three rounds where DeGale wasn't doing anything. No problem with the decision, but that's a terrible scorecard.

• Like 1

Yeah, there were swing rounds. However, there was one stretch of maybe three rounds where DeGale wasn't doing anything. No problem with the decision, but that's a terrible scorecard.

Agreed, some rounds could've gone either way but there was no way he won by 8. Great fight for something that a lot of people were writing off as a dud.

Double post: Not a bad fight between Dirrell and DeGale this afternoon. One of the better PBC fights so far.

Good fight, how one of the judges had DeGale down for an 8point win is baffling.

Very close fight.

Close fight indeed but if I see either Dirrell brother fight again it will be too soon. Steve Kim is saying the boxing programing on Fox Sports 1 will be switching from Golden Boy to the PBC. One must wonder how big is this money warchest that Al Haymon is playing with and what will happen when it runs dry

That's interesting considering the lawsuit going on. However, I dunno if taking over Golden Boy Live is really that big financial move. Those shows haven't done any business. I think the only one that may have done any sort of rating was Ortiz vs. Collazo. FNF got decent ratings at least and wasn't that expensive. Plus, they really cut down on the number of different locations and venues in the last season.

Throne Boxing has run two shows and haven't done anything. When Iron Mike Productions was still a thing, it really didn't move the needle. So at worst, PBC will be a lateral move. Even if things are not exactly blowing up on the main stations, I can see PBC still being on a FS1 or FS2 platform. Fox Sports is in rough shape with programming that isn't UFC and the one or two notable college football games they get. Al Haymon doesn't have to break the bank for them.