DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

All the John Ruiz fights I watched were like that too. I remember watching a fight he threw 7 punches over 2 rounds and the commentators are like "he's winning".

Heavyweight boxing is very, very strange. And not great.

I'd rather play Russian roulette Deer Hunter style than watch John Ruiz vs. Kirk Johnson ever again.

Anyone else (in the UK) surprised Sky are throwing Anthony Joshua on PPV already?

I would've built him up more before sticking a price on him. They must feel his exposure is enough that the public will pay (£15 on top of their Sky subscription) to see him fight.

Anthony Joshua v Dillan Whyte was everything Fury / Klitschko wasn't.

Action packed, chaos and run-ins after he the bell in the first round and an absolutely brutal finish. Get either of these guys in with Wilder, Haye or Fury and the heavyweight division could be quite exciting.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the post match fireworks were funny. We needed the " Anonymous Showtime Boxing General Manager" to come out and book these guys in a match/

(From the Guardian Liveblog)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2016/jan/16/deontay-wilder-v-artur-szpilka-wbc-heavyweight-championship-live

Tyson Fury is in the ring. And he’s trying to wrest the mic from ring announcer Jimmy Lennon Jr. He ultimately succeeds, but Showtime has powered it off.

Amazing fireworks between Fury and Wilder in the ring after the fight. “Anytime, anyplace, anywhere,” Fury cries while getting within inches of Wilder’s face. Responds Wilder: “You can run around like a preacher, but I will baptize you!” It looks like this is a fight that could actually happen.

(Fury departed with a screw you gesture to the crowd.. then)

“We all know Fury is just a phony,” Wilder said. “This is just an act. I’m not scared of anybody. We’ll come to your backyard. This is just an act – you’re not a real fighter. I don’t play. This isn’t wrestling. This isn’t the WWE. When you do step in that ring with me I promise you I will baptize you.“I would love to fight him next, unfortunately. I have other mandatories due. Make the date Tyson, I promise you.”

• Like 1

I think the post match fireworks were funny. We needed the " Anonymous Showtime Boxing General Manager" to come out and book these guys in a match

Teddy Long to revamp boxing by introducing the Holla Holla Tag Team Match?

"Fury, I know you don't like Wilder playa, but you've got a Title match against Klitschko next month, so I'm going to put you and your British colleague Anthony Joshua in a TAG TEAM match in the main event of tonight's showtime boxing!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Nike is about to drop Manny Pacquiao like a bad habit. That would end a 10 year partnership.

It's done.  

"We find Manny Pacquiao's comments abhorrent. Nike strongly opposes discrimination of any kind and has a long history of supporting and standing up for the rights of the LGBT community," Nike said in a statement. "We no longer have a relationship with Manny Pacquiao."

Yeah, you can't run a campaign like #BETRUE and have a guy saying gay people are worse than animals.

• Like 1

I don't agree with Pacquiao's views but it's not like this is recent news. He's made this clear a number of times and personally I'm not sure if using animals as a comparison makes it that much worse. I'm also not saying he shouldn't be dropped by Nike, just that, well, Nike must have known he was strongly against homosexuality for years now.

I don't know, I just feel he's a victim here to some extent too. He's just repeating the same bs he's been exposed to his whole life and took it too far. The guy should never have said that, or thought that, but I can't help but think it's a reflection of his circumstance. He's just trying to pander to the population of his home country for a purpose that should never have been a possibility in the first place.

I honestly don't know what my point is here. I want to write more, and I did and then deleted it because I know there's a certain amount of bias and it might be more projection on my part than truth but Pac's been a guy I have looked up to for over a decade despite his downsides.

I don't agree with Pacquiao's views but it's not like this is recent news. He's made this clear a number of times and personally I'm not sure if using animals as a comparison makes it that much worse. I'm also not saying he shouldn't be dropped by Nike, just that, well, Nike must have known he was strongly against homosexuality for years now.

I don't know, I just feel he's a victim here to some extent too. He's just repeating the same bs he's been exposed to his whole life and took it too far. The guy should never have said that, or thought that, but I can't help but think it's a reflection of his circumstance. He's just trying to pander to the population of his home country for a purpose that should never have been a possibility in the first place.

I honestly don't know what my point is here. I want to write more, and I did and then deleted it because I know there's a certain amount of bias and it might be more projection on my part than truth but Pac's been a guy I have looked up to for over a decade despite his downsides.

Yeah, he made similar comments either right around or after the last Marquez fight. Everyone just kinda brushed it off.

Boxing is still the wild west when it comes to this stuff like this because they isn't a singular league or promotion. So you can pretty much say whatever the fuck you want when you want to. I mean Devon Alexander said some wild shit in about the same vain, but no one gave a shit because it's Devon Alexander.

My feeling is that corporations shouldn't drop an athlete for being against same sex marriage because there is active debate going on when it comes to that issue. There is no clear right or wrong. However, he (along with whoever the hell his publicist might be) is showing clear lack of foresight into his own career. He is going to a fight that already might not sell many PPVs and now he is only the stomp about this issue, and say reprehensible things about other individuals in trying to condemn something. Even fucking Bob "Homosexual Skinhead fighting" Arum is saying that he took it too far. BOB ARUM! So yeah, Nike should have dropped for the animal comments. Now, he is posting cryptic bible verses and shit like that. They've made the right decision.

Yeah I dont agree either but in a lot of cultures out there this is ingrained in their belief system.  Nike is within their rights to pull their sponsorship though

• 3 weeks later...

So Showtime's new boxing schedule includes Wilder vs. Povetkin in May from Russia, Thurman vs. Porter on 6/25, Santa Cruz defending his 126 lb title against Carl Frampton, and a card with two 168 title fights (Jack-Bute, DeGale-Medina).