DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

• 2 weeks later...

Fury-Klitschko II is postponed because Fury hurt his ankle.

Boxing and MMA are neck and neck in trying to find out which sport has the most inactive heavyweight champions.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Thurman/Porter II is so gonna be on ppv

Easily the first PBC fight you can say this for. PBC really needed this fight to deliver, and it did fortunately.

I didn't even know it was happening. Flipping through channels got there just in time for the introductions.

I'm very much a casual fan of boxing, but that was one of the best fights I've ever seen.

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I didn't even know it was happening. Flipping through channels got there just in time for the introductions.

I'm very much a casual fan of boxing, but that was one of the best fights I've ever seen.

That's kinda funny seeing as PBC's goal was to go after casual fans, and the casual fan interest slid dramatically after the first few "notable" fights once the novelty of boxing's return to network TV wore off. So it's basically people like myself watching these fights, and that's not good seeing as they've put some much money into this venture (gotta be hovering around a half a billion or more at this point).

Yeah, it was definitely a fight of the year candidate and probably my favorite considering the stakes. However, they are still spread too thin to say the least. Nobody is really interested in seeing A-sides fight middle of the road contenders. They got a good overnight rating for Thurman-Porter, but it's clear they have to reach deep into the bullpen to rescue this. After Joshua downed Breazeale yesterday, now they have to put Joshua on CBS to capitalize on this and Joshua's growing popularity and build to a fight with Wilder down the road for the WBC and IBF belts. If they have to pay the WBC and Alexander Povetkin's team step aside money (like I'm sure Haymon will need to pay Avanesyan to get Thurman-Porter II), they need to do that so that fight happens.

• 2 weeks later...