DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

13 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Charles Martin isnt too good at blocking punches.  Then he does the old I didn't really want to get up so I'll jump up when the ref says 10 and act like I just got jobbed.  

He's also not good at tying someone up or at least trying to. His boxing IQ is questionable at best. As soon as he got up from the first KD, he was right in position for another straight right hand. He might as well just sit on the canvas.

FWIW looks like Joshua's first title defense will be on 7/9 (same day as Fury-Klitschko II) against Malik Scott in London.

Canelo Alvarez shares his top five reasons for refusing to fight GGG:

5. I cannot pronounce the name of the place he is from.

4. He does not speak Spanish, so when I say "no mas" he might keep hitting me.

3. He smiles too much, there is something wrong with him.

2. I display my belt at home. It brings the whole room together, what would I do without it?

1. I can get paid a lot more to beat up little guys.

• Like 2

It's weird that the Showtime fights tonight had a close fight that could have been a draw ultimately having two wide scorecards and a fight that wasn't that close ruled a majority draw.

Either way, we still end up with DeGale vs. Jack unifying their belts at super middleweight.

Also, it represented a 30% drop from the first PBC on Fox show in January in terms of ratings.

Even when they do entertaining fights, PBC can't draw an audience. 

Money vs McGregor

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor on the verge of agreeing billion dollar mega-fight

FLOYD MAYWEATHER and Conor McGregor are on the verge of agreeing the richest fight in boxing history.  The Sun can reveal that undefeated Mayweather, considered one of the greatest boxers of all time, is set to go toe-to-toe with the UFC star in Las Vegas this summer.  Money Mayweather — currently retired with the joint best boxing record in history of 49 wins from 49 fights — is set to earn £100million in the boxing bout, while McGregor will take home £7million.

Chances of this happening?

On 04/05/2016 at 7:14 PM, RandomAct said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Oscar says they want GGG next if Canelo beats Khan.

http://boxingjunkie.usatoday.com/2016/05/04/oscar-de-la-hoya-canelo-alvarez-may-8th-call-gennady-golovkin/

Canelo recently said GGG doesn't deserve to fight him because he hasn't fought anyone 

6 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Canelo recently said GGG doesn't deserve to fight him because he hasn't fought anyone 

"You can't work here because you don't have enough work experience".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tony Bellew yesterday won the vacant WBC cruiserweight title by knocking out cold, Ilunga Makabu in the third round. Makabu was unconscious standing and fell down to the canvas. Bellew was knocked down in the first. The fight was at Goodison Park, home to Everton Football Club. Tony is a big Everton fan. This was Tony's third world title shot having lost the two previous world title challenges at light-heavyweight.

Tony was in Creed as the main rival to the title character and the fight was fought in, yep, Goodison Park.

42 minutes ago, Thomas Bugg said:

Anyone see Vargas-Salido this past Saturday on HBO Boxing After Dark? That was a Fight Of The Year Candidate!

Yes and yes, it was.