DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

How much is the PPV price looking like?

The rumor is $99.95 for HD and ten less for SD but nothing official yet.

Basically, it is going to be something ridiculous or they are basically debating with distributors on whether or not a lower price (something like 79 for SD/89 for HD) would make a extreme difference on the final buyrate number. Very little middle ground at this point. There are going to be a ton of illegal streams regardless because interest tends to correlate with the number of streams/illegal content. However, a $20 or $30 swing either way can be the difference between a number that will be never be broken and a significant increase in who choses to go a bar, movie theater, or fight party that's showing it.

Also, the ten dollars SD/HD thing as it applies to this event could either be smart thinking or just an unintentional stroke of genius. If it was $69.95 for standard def and basically $100 for high def, they probably know people on the fence would make their decision the day before or day of. That $30 difference would be extremely debatable for those on a budget. However, a ten dollar difference in this case becomes negligible because very few people in their right mind would pay $90 to watch something in standard definition.

I imagine the hounds will be out in full force nuking every stream in sight anyway.  I'm not good with numbers, but part of me feels like they are reducing the number of eyes that will see it, hoping that they'll make up for it with cost.  I'll be able to get it for about $75 thankfully, since I work for TWC.

Something I thought about, on that note.  The live crowd has the chance to be really weird.  I'm so used to split crowds, and a bunch of Mexican/Filipino/whatever countrymen rooting on their fighter. Will that be eliminated with the extreme ticket costs?  Will there be any real boxing fans in attendance, or just a bunch of rich guys?

I imagine the hounds will be out in full force nuking every stream in sight anyway.  I'm not good with numbers, but part of me feels like they are reducing the number of eyes that will see it, hoping that they'll make up for it with cost.  I'll be able to get it for about $75 thankfully, since I work for TWC.

Something I thought about, on that note.  The live crowd has the chance to be really weird.  I'm so used to split crowds, and a bunch of Mexican/Filipino/whatever countrymen rooting on their fighter. Will that be eliminated with the extreme ticket costs?  Will there be any real boxing fans in attendance, or just a bunch of rich guys?

I mean that's always the assumption in combat sports, but there is an inherent problem with it. I am not saying it's not part of live big event experience at this point (the # of comps of events from the last 10 or so years speaks to that), but the notion of "real" vs. "fake" is kinda weak at this point. A big ticket event like this is suppose to draw every type of demo. Thus, both of those parties can be the same or meet at some point. The whole thing about being a fan is you don't need someone's approval to be one.

The big thing is not who is actually going to be there, but the marketing of "this is for the fans" and then you effectively turned up the dial to 10. I mean tickets have always been expensive for the UFC, boxing, and other events. However, the perfect model has always been "we're going to make everyone break the bank". So if celebs or whomever don't accept comps, they're still paying a grip for a front row tickets to a big fight. The same for the average Joe who makes an occasional trip to LV and likes to plan in advance. The thing is there was always a somewhat reasonably cutoff point. Now when you take out the comps and have insane prices for a 15k seat arena, you're basically saying all the events we gave you in the past are what we've allowed you to see, let you believe that was exorbitant, and here is the real thing. In layman's terms, anyone from any income who likes the sport is basically finding out those in power would charge people more if they could. That's not a message you want to send when you're planning to sell people on other events.

You pretty much explained what I was trying to say much better than I did.  "Middle ground" is exactly the term I was looking for, because with the current ticket prices, only one demo will likely be there.  $74m is impossible to look at and say you made the wrong choice, though.

Looks like no 24/7 or All Access but Showtime is airing a 4-part documentary for Mayweather vs. Pacquaio starting on 4/18 after the Chavez-Fonfara show.

BTW, Showtime has two shows tomorrow: Brook vs. Jo Jo Dan for the IBF 147lbs. title from Sheffield at 6:15 EST and Gonzalez vs. Russell Jr. for the WBC 126lbs. title later that evening. This is the best you can hope for on Showtime w/ PBC going on.

Not too surprised Gary Russell Jr. waxed Jhonny Gonzalez, but this makes featherweight very interesting. Walters, Russell Jr, and Lomachenko are clearly the best of the division and all have belts now, but you really don't have a bunch of fantastic matchups. Gradovich is basically on his own island until Top Rank sacrifices him to Lomachenko for a possible unification bout. They probably won't run back Lomachenko vs. Russell Jr. until each has a bunch of defenses. Walters is the only guy who could conceivably fight all the top guys because he isn't really tied down to a promoter and their own agenda.

How much is the PPV price looking like?

The rumor is $99.95 for HD and ten less for SD but nothing official yet.

Basically, it is going to be something ridiculous or they are basically debating with distributors on whether or not a lower price (something like 79 for SD/89 for HD) would make a extreme difference on the final buyrate number. Very little middle ground at this point. There are going to be a ton of illegal streams regardless because interest tends to correlate with the number of streams/illegal content. However, a $20 or $30 swing either way can be the difference between a number that will be never be broken and a significant increase in who choses to go a bar, movie theater, or fight party that's showing it.

Turns out it also has to do with the revenue split

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-pacquiao-ppv-prices-fee-split-resolved--89227?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If the networks had to bend a little, we may need to brace ourselves for the official price.

In ten minutes time, the next PBC on NBC show starts. Kid Chocolate didn't weight for the Lee fight so it's non-title. Garcia vs. Peterson is non-title because they didn't like making weight either. It is what it is.

The Peterson fight legit put me to sleep.  I need to rewatch it, because I saw a lot of fuss over the decision.  I enjoyed the first fight for what it was.  Not exactly a great fight, but when the guys were actually active, they threw big stuff, so it made it watchable.

I thought the last half of the Garcia vs. Peterson was good once they got past the style clash.

You can really see the problems with PBC and how it could be a long term thing. There is a reason why HBO doesn't really do 24/7 anymore (at least in the 3 or 4 episode runs) and why All Access really isn't that effective for Showtime. In order for shoulder programming to be a worthwhile venture, you need the personalities in the first place to allow them to blossom. If you don't have the first part, you are going to have a ton of trouble rolling that into your actual live programming. Right now, that's the biggest problem. It's admirable that they're taking a UFC-like approach to getting as many people out there, and they're trying to do different things on the production end. However, it's not going to work without someone that clicks with casual fans. Yeah, the fights are a big part of it. Still, how is this anything different from what you're getting from HBO or Showtime already other than you're not paying extra for it? It's not like people are starving for boxing even though there are traditional slow boxing months (mid-to-late summer months in particular). The commentary is kinda just there. The entrances are rather drab. The interviews are nothing to write home about. The post fight stuff is non-existent just based on the time constraints. I won't rag on the pacing because no one in combat sports has that down yet. The graphics are really good, but no one under eight years old is watching for pretty stuff on the screen.

Hopefully, they do try to make some changes. Right now, it feels like a great idea but just in the wrong era of boxing. One change that I did like for the NBC one is they got rid of Laila Ali. Yeah, I will take Kenny Rice over someone who has the personality of a dead llama. Hopefully, that's a permanent thing.

• Like 1