DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

Nothing yet, but Top Rank usually put on crappy PPV undercards. The Floyd/TMT ones aren't much better. The problem is most of the quality Haymon fighters are already booked. So I expect somebody like Leo Santa Cruz occupying one of the 3 prized undercard spots against a jobber.

• Like 1

Boxing returns to plain ol' main affiliate television:

NBC announced the “Premier Boxing Champions” series last month, with Leonard as an analyst and Al Michaels as a host.

Albert will call the 11 broadcasts on NBC this year, with five planned for prime time and six for Saturday afternoons. The first fights air March 7 from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas when Keith Thurman faces Robert Guerrero and Adrien Broner takes on John Molina Jr.

Mauro is actually pretty good IMO aside from the obligatory puns and catchphrases. I don't love him like Meltzer does, but he fits into whatever seamlessly compared to everyone else.

Now who I don't want to see? Kellerman. He's a HBO shill guy now. FNF era Kellerman would shit on how awful 2012-present Max Kellerman is.

Larry Merchant finally retired a while back so anyone is an improvement.

Merchant was only there for every big fight just to remind people that this could be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. Just pick any big HBO fight between 1992 and 2012. He might as well said after every Buffer intro, "Shucks, too bad you already paid that $34.95 asshole". That's why I chose not to mention him even though he did have his clever quips every now and then.

Looks like there will be only be one Mayweather vs. Pacquiao presser before fight week (which will obviously have one) and it will be on 3/11. However, it's closed to public.

Boxing returns to plain ol' main affiliate television:

NBC announced the “Premier Boxing Champions” series last month, with Leonard as an analyst and Al Michaels as a host.

Albert will call the 11 broadcasts on NBC this year, with five planned for prime time and six for Saturday afternoons. The first fights air March 7 from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas when Keith Thurman faces Robert Guerrero and Adrien Broner takes on John Molina Jr.

As per the random advert, this fight card goes down on NBC this Saturday night @ 8PM-ish EST.

Once Kell Brook beats Jo Jo Dan later this month, I would love see him versus Keith Thurman.

Also, I would like to see Amir Khan still without a fight because he was dumb enough to believe he was fighting Floyd Mayweather twice.

Thurman/Guerrero was actually pretty fun in the second half. I knew going in that Broner was the worst possible guy to put up there as the first fighter the audience sees.

I love anyone who can actively troll people. Broner does a fine job at this.

Looks like the first undercard spot for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao has been taken by Vasyl Lomachenko facing his WBO 126-lbs. title mandatory Gamalier Rodriguez. Not an awful fight, but it really is a showcase bout. That's right in line with the type of fights I expect to be on this card.

Am I wrong for expecting this to be the typical boring, 12 round Mayweather decision fight?  I'm already picturing the standard "potshot/hold" formula.  I hope I'm wrong, since it will be the first boxing ppv I have gotten in years.

That's a giant blanket statement. The problem with it is it's basically disconnected from the level of opponents. Yeah, just go in there in and "potshot" Marcos Maidana or Canelo Alvarez. See how that works out for you. That's fucking ridiculous.

That's exactly what he did to Maidana in the second fight though. Many other fights as well.  You can't pretend like there isn't an extreme amount of clinching on his part.

That's not exactly what he did to Maidana. If you cannot see and/or determine clear, appreciable offense, then you probably should not be watching boxing PPVs period.

I'm not calling into question his effectiveness of what he's doing at all.  I'm just point out how unappealing it is to watch.  I've said on this board multiple times that I will never say Floyd isn't skilled.  What he does clearly works. The only thing I ever call out is how god awful boring he is to watch.  And yes, I understand he doesn't give a shit, and yes I understand you win however you can.  But as a viewer that wants to watch a fun fight, yes, all I see is land a few shots/shoulder roll/clinch before the other guy throws.  No need to go into attack mode over it though.

I'm not calling into question his effectiveness of what he's doing at all.  I'm just point out how unappealing it is to watch.  I've said on this board multiple times that I will never say Floyd isn't skilled.  What he does clearly works. The only thing I ever call out is how god awful boring he is to watch.  And yes, I understand he doesn't give a shit, and yes I understand you win however you can.  But as a viewer that wants to watch a fun fight, yes, all I see is land a few shots/shoulder roll/clinch before the other guy throws.  No need to go into attack mode over it though.

There are "fun" mediocre fights you can watch on UniMás or whatever Spanish language TV platform. You can watch those instead.

I don't give a shit if you find him entertaining or not. The simplistic nature of how you're looking at this is still astounding. It's devaluing what it takes to beat top level opponents. If you're using tired ass ten year old, recycled narratives, then go right ahead and disregard what you're watching. Just know that any attempt you make to try to truly analyze something is downright laughable.

SHOWTIME SPORTS @SHOsports 4m

Here at @LALIVE for #MayPac! Awaiting @FloydMayweather & @MannyPacquiao. WATCH at 4:30p ET http://youtube.com/shosports 

B_1YRkFUIAEQmmD.jpg

Weird seeing the words "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao" and the promotional & network logos all together in a non-Photoshop manner.

• Like 1