DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

Wasn't Tyson ahead on at least one of the judge's scorecards when he bit Holyfield?  I always felt Tyson bit him because of the reason he stated. He said Holyfield was butting him and Tyson is admittedly a fucking lunatic and bit his ear off. 

Maybe I'm wrong. I think Tyson is absolutely crazy even to this day but I do love to hear him talk boxing. He's a true fan.

Well, I thought the claim/reason was based off what happened in the sixth round of the first fight. Once the headbutts started back again in the rematch, that's when Tyson chose to retaliate so the same pattern wouldn't develop.

Goossen is the first thing I think of everytime I think of the fight. "You better fucking get inside on him" with that look on his face gives me chills.  Fight has a permanent home in my top 5.

• Like 2

Well, I thought the claim/reason was based off what happened in the sixth round of the first fight. Once the headbutts started back again in the rematch, that's when Tyson chose to retaliate so the same pattern wouldn't develop.

It was pretty clear in the first fight that the infamous headbutt was just as much Tyson's fault.

Honestly, it didn't matter what trainer he had. Unless he had a few dudes along with him to jump Canelo mid-fight, the same thing was going to happen. You just don't become a different fighter over one or two training camps. Plus, if you look back at Canelo early on in his career, this is the type of dude he devours. Those other guys just didn't have the toughness Kirkland has so it gets overlooked. However, both paths lead to Canelo destroying them.

On a sadder note, Tony Ayala Jr. passed away today. He was perhaps the biggest cautionary tale in the sport.

Not sure if "sad" is the word I would personally use.  Men that rape women on multiple occasions don't get a lot of sadness from me when they die. Still notable though.

• Like 1

Really surprised that Monroe survived that second round.  He gave GGG a little trouble in 3-5, but then of course said "nah, I'm done" after that last knockdown.  Dying to see GGG against a higher level fighter.

So today is the anniversary of Ward-Gatti I.  Curious to see where others rate it among the other great fights of this century.  I go back and forth on where I rate it, but I usually have it behind Castillo-Corrales I and Barerra-Morales I.  I have it a few steps above Vasquez-Marquez II though.  With that said, I've never seen anything better than Round 9.

So today is the anniversary of Ward-Gatti I.  Curious to see where others rate it among the other great fights of this century.  I go back and forth on where I rate it, but I usually have it behind Castillo-Corrales I and Barerra-Morales I.  I have it a few steps above Vasquez-Marquez II though.  With that said, I've never seen anything better than Round 9.

I dunno where I would rate the first Gatti vs. Ward bout. It was a really great fight and did a ton for each guy's legacy. However, I don't really have the same emotional connection now as I do for other bouts of that magnitude. Some of it may be irrational, but I think that way HBO has made the entire trilogy a sacred cow kind of hurts it for me. They shit on Barrera-Morales II after the fact, but they made it sound like the one sided sequel to Gatti-Ward I was better than the original. I thought Jirov-Toney was better than the third fight that won RING Fight of the Year. The fact that Gatti left the way that he did only makes them want to force-feed the narrative that all three fights were tremendous even more.

If I had to make a comp for a person who really wanted a quick Cliff Notes on boxing over the last 30 years, Gatti vs. Ward I would definitely be on there. However, knowing I only have limited room for rematches and the like, I am sure I can find better representation for followups.

I'm with you there.  While I enjoy bits of the rematches, I don't really consider them essential viewing like I would other trilogies/quadrilogies.   I just don't think the full series of fights tells a compelling store like, say Morales/Barerra or Morales/Pacquiao.  For the longest time, Ward-Gatti wasn't even my favorite Gatti fight, and I may still put it behind Gatti-Robinson I.  However, it's one of the first fights I'd show a casual fan that thinks that boxing has no action.

• Like 1