DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

Goddamn, I miss Roger Mayweather and his words of wisdom.

I had to LOL when Floyd Sr stood up to speak and they are pretty much like "nah bruh".

That's sad considering that Roach is in considerably worse physical condition than Sr, and we have to listen to him everytime out. Plus, Floyd Sr. is an accomplished poet!

They basically have two RJJs in the booth if you count Ward. Ward is slightly more articulate than Roy (which isn't saying much but hey), but he seems like a fighter as a guest commentator than someone who feels comfortable being there and adds something substantive. So instead of being there for just a round or two as customary on FNF, HBO does it for the whole broadcast. He neither adds or takes away from the broadcast. However, why bother if that's the case?

I'd def check out the Kovalev fight, HS.  Probably the hardest Sergey has been pushed.  I'm kinda going back and forth on the stoppage.  Pascal was still up and active when it happened, but at the same time, if not for Kovalev slipping, he would have knocked Pascal out 15 seconds earlier.  I thought Pascal took 2-3 rounds, but man, fucking Kovalev.

I think the stoppage was good. After wobbling all over the ring, the next two shots were clean through his guard and it was a matter of time (and several unguarded headshots) before he would have dropped.

I'm curious about where Kovalev goes next.  Stephenson won't fight him, probably no money in a B-Hop rematch.  Maybe Bute? Dawson?

Yeah, Lance Stephenson definitely won't fight him. The season is still going on.

I'm not calling into question his effectiveness of what he's doing at all.  I'm just point out how unappealing it is to watch.  I've said on this board multiple times that I will never say Floyd isn't skilled.  What he does clearly works. The only thing I ever call out is how god awful boring he is to watch.  And yes, I understand he doesn't give a shit, and yes I understand you win however you can.  But as a viewer that wants to watch a fun fight, yes, all I see is land a few shots/shoulder roll/clinch before the other guy throws.  No need to go into attack mode over it though.

There are "fun" mediocre fights you can watch on UniMás or whatever Spanish language TV platform. You can watch those instead.

I don't give a shit if you find him entertaining or not. The simplistic nature of how you're looking at this is still astounding. It's devaluing what it takes to beat top level opponents. If you're using tired ass ten year old, recycled narratives, then go right ahead and disregard what you're watching. Just know that any attempt you make to try to truly analyze something is downright laughable.

hqdefault.jpg

So I'm doing career marathons on Manny and Floyd lately.  I had almost forgotten how much of a demoralizing beatdown Pacquiao gave to the corpse of De La Hoya.  Christ.

Wait till you get to Manny's X rated KO on Ricky Hatton.