DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

Nothing yet, but Top Rank usually put on crappy PPV undercards. The Floyd/TMT ones aren't much better. The problem is most of the quality Haymon fighters are already booked. So I expect somebody like Leo Santa Cruz occupying one of the 3 prized undercard spots against a jobber.

About that....

Leo Santa Cruz will be on the card ....against.....*drumroll*.....Alexis Santiago.

They didn't even get a jobber in the same weight class. At least Zsolt Bedak, who was rumored before Santiago, was a super bantamweight. Santiago fights at 118.

This will be up there with the DLH-Pacquiao undercard as the worst undercard of all time. I can't imagine the third and final undercard bout will be anything good as there are only two weeks left until the actual event.

I know people are kinda unhappy because they feel Bayless may be more biased toward Floyd. However, he has worked a lot if not most of Pacquiao and Mayweather's recent fights in LV. I would be more worried about the judges than the referee. You can get around the referee and make him have little bearing on the actual fight. You can beat someone up for twelve rounds and still somehow be three or four points down on a final scorecard. It's happened numerous times and well documented in Nevada.

• Like 2

I know people are kinda unhappy because they feel Bayless may be more biased toward Floyd. However, he has worked a lot if not most of Pacquiao and Mayweather's recent fights in LV. I would be more worried about the judges than the referee. You can get around the referee and make him have little bearing on the actual fight. You can beat someone up for twelve rounds and still somehow be three or four points down on a final scorecard. It's happened numerous times and well documented in Nevada.

I agree with this. I still remember my stunned reaction to Bradley-Pacquiao I.

I've seen him do some things in Mayweather fights that drove me nuts, but I never felt like he was favoring Floyd, I just thought he was doing a bad job referreeing that night.  With that said, he's legit one of the best refs out there.  There won't be a questionable stoppage with him or anything. 

I agree with this. I still remember my stunned reaction to Bradley-Pacquiao I.

And that's a well know one. If you go back to more obscure Vegas title fights like Cristian Mijares vs. Jose Navarro on the Pavlik-Taylor II undercard. Cristian Mijares soundly beats Navarro and wins a split only because one judge (Doug Tucker) gave his opponent ALL the rounds. After that, anything is possible.

If you can't figure out how to distribute tickets for an arena that seats 16,000 people, it would be an all-time catastrophe never seen before to try to book a 100k seat venue.

You know the HBO commentators were getting bored when they started suggesting that a 117-110 Klitschko decision was close enough for a rematch

Jennings had an approach that didn't get him knocked out. It also didn't knock out Klitschko or get any points for style. So he didn't do much but he didn't get knocked out.

Also the Hayden reaction shots were gold.

Guys are so scared of that one big salvo that they fight defensively for at least the first three rounds. If you're gonna automatically concede the first quarter of the fight, why even take the fight besides money? It's just so peculiar to watch now. Is no one watching Wladimir fights from the last seven years or so? Or is that the reason why they choose to fight this way?

Honestly, I thought Jennings looked pretty good. A friend of mine asked if Jennings was shutting down the Wladimir right hand, then Wlad all but confirmed he did.  Got inside with some good body work.  He honestly did better than anyone else has in years.  Rematch?  Nah, cuz the scores were accurate, but Jennings has a future I think.

I don't know if I would say looked good. I know it isn't his fault at all that the networks and writers crafted the "Next Great American HW" narrative even though he never beat a really good heavyweight. Plus, I wasn't expecting him to do much against Wlad anyway. However, I don't think making Wlad uncomfortable in spots really adds to your performance at this point. I mean Haye did that to Wlad in their fight if you remember, and no one really talked up his performance. If he would have come in from the outset and worked to the body before transitioning to the head, then I would say there was a method to the madness. As is, he gave him a really tough sparring session.

• 2 weeks later...

I like how everyone swears that Floyd Mayweather fights aren't worth the money, when he is by far the biggest pay-per-view draw of all time.  His fight with Saul Alvarez grossed $150 million, the biggest non-Floyd PPV is $112 million.  He's going to have the top three biggest PPVs of all-time and all of them are at least $25 million more than #4. 

All of this talk of disappointing fights bothers me.  Mayweather is an undefeated fighter, so he's not going to mess with the formula that has gotten him win after win.  It is up to the challenger to bring the fight and win the title and Pac-Man did not get the job done. 

I don't know why everyone expected Money to do anything different other than follow his blueprint to victory.