DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 2nd Half

ChesterCopperpot

So they are rushing their superstar back repeatedly to hopefully make the 8th seed when they could see what they can do without him and get a lottery pick if they don't make the playoffs.  Their chance to get to the 8th seed without Durant aren't good, but neither is their future if Durant develops chronic foot problems.  They might want to see how far Westbrook can take them and shut him down Durant for the season. 

I doubt it would hurt their chances for the 8th seed by a whole lot. Phoenix took a step back with their moves before the deadline. New Orleans now has Davis and Anderson out. OKC got stronger with their trades and Russell Westbrook is incredible. 30, 8 and 10 through 9 games in February with a 36 PER for the month. Guy deserves to be in the conversation for best player in the league with James, Durant, Curry and Davis. At the least ease Durant back in they don't need a full 35 minutes plus from him until the playoffs.

• Like 1

Does someone screwing up a lot help the confidence of those around him? WTF were they thinking giving him that contract? He is on the books for 12 million next year. Someone said he should play a lot here and hope to get a first round pick for him next year before the deadline. The Nuggets gave up a first round pick to get rid of him. No way is his value increasing that much. I find it hard to believe their won't be some resentment over him being the highest paid player on the team.

There's something like 27 games left in the regular season. I don't think Javale McGee, even as dumb as he is, can screw up this bad that quickly. Play him out this season to get to the league minimum and try and flip him for a second round pick, or trade him next season as he's an expiring contract, or just cut his ass before the year starts.

So they are rushing their superstar back repeatedly to hopefully make the 8th seed when they could see what they can do without him and get a lottery pick if they don't make the playoffs.  Their chance to get to the 8th seed without Durant aren't good, but neither is their future if Durant develops chronic foot problems.  They might want to see how far Westbrook can take them and shut him down Durant for the season. 

I doubt it would hurt their chances for the 8th seed by a whole lot. Phoenix took a step back with their moves before the deadline. New Orleans now has Davis and Anderson out. OKC got stronger with their trades and Russell Westbrook is incredible. 30, 8 and 10 through 9 games in February with a 36 PER for the month. Guy deserves to be in the conversation for best player in the league with James, Durant, Curry and Davis. At the least ease Durant back in they don't need a full 35 minutes plus from him until the playoffs.

I agree with this 100%.  History is not kind to guys who comeback too soon from foot injuries, and they've brought him back over and over again.  Westbrook has quietly been as good if not better as KD since they handed out that MVP trophy.  He was incredible in the playoffs last year, and has been even better this season.

I'm really thinking Memphis walks away with the trophy this year. It's such a good group of tested, tough dudes who fit in well together and know their roles. As great and deep and unbeatable as GSW looks like, I just am getting on board the Grizz right now.

Does someone screwing up a lot help the confidence of those around him? WTF were they thinking giving him that contract? He is on the books for 12 million next year. Someone said he should play a lot here and hope to get a first round pick for him next year before the deadline. The Nuggets gave up a first round pick to get rid of him. No way is his value increasing that much. I find it hard to believe their won't be some resentment over him being the highest paid player on the team.

Yeah, it looks ridiculous in hindsight, but at the time it made sense.  People kind of forget the buzz that Javale had around him, and the thought was that as soon as he got into a good organization with a good coach he could start channeling his ridiculous athleticism.  And with Ujiri as the hotshot young GM and Karl as coach Denver seemed like the kind of place where he could really thrive, so overpaying a bit (I think consensus was that he'd get $7-8M/yr) seemed like a solid investment in the future.  Then Ujiri left, Karl got canned, and Javale just kept doing Javale things.

EDIT: I forgot that they traded for him before they signed him to the deal, but the point stands.

I got to thinking how good the Blazers would be had Brandon Roy's knees not betrayed him. Him and Lillard in the backcourt along with Aldridge would be a site to behold.

Well, I think it's fair to say that if Roy's knees had held up, they probably wouldn't have been in a position to draft Lillard. The bigger what if for those Blazers teams is Oden.

I got to thinking how good the Blazers would be had Brandon Roy's knees not betrayed him. Him and Lillard in the backcourt along with Aldridge would be a site to behold.

Well, I think it's fair to say that if Roy's knees had held up, they probably wouldn't have been in a position to draft Lillard. The bigger what if for those Blazers teams is Oden.

FWIW, the Lillard pick was the Nets' that they got in the Gerald Wallace trade, so they could theoretically still have gotten him.  Blake/Roy/Durant/Aldridge/Anyone would have been a damn near unguardable lineup, and maybe with Durant in Roy doesn't have to do quite so much and his knees hold up a bit longer.  Who knows?