DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Blake and Murphy got about 333% more interesting and fun with Alexa.

Yeah they desperately needed that, but then again so did she. Her face work with the overly complicated offense she botched half the time wasn't doing her many favors.

• Like 1

Add my name to the list of people who just aren't getting in to Finn Balor. I have no previous attachment to Prince Devitt. Never saw any prior matches of his to know what he may be capable of, but outside of a few impressive flashes here and there, he hasn't shown me too much. His entrances are too over the top theatrical and goofy, though I do really dig the body paint stuff. But once the bell rings, I'm not connecting in any significant way to him. There is zero difference between regular old Finn Balor and "The Demon" outside of the paint, so why paint up? I don't sympathize when he's getting beat down in the same way I do with Sami Zayn. I guess I just don't get it. I'm kind of feeling the same way about Hideo Itami. These guys have been talked about for years, and I never saw any of their prior matches so I'm going solely based on what they've brought to NXT. So far, I'm very unimpressed and left thinking "That's it? What's so special about this guy that has built him such a great online reputation?" Not sure what it is, but whatever charisma they may have had in Japan I think they forgot to pack in their luggage when they moved, because they are certainly lacking it in-ring once the bell rings.

• Like 1

Yeah, Blake and Murphy using “Masked Confusion"/"Twin Magic" would be more fitting.

It's not that they look alike, it's just that they're so bland that nobody cares, so it would definitely work.

Their super power is the apathy they inspire.

• Like 2

Itami was starting to come out of his shell and show some personality when he got hurt. I still think having to basically rebuild his moveset from scratch took away some of his confidence, but it was slowly coming back. Balor just isn't showing any kind of personality once the bell rings. 

Itami is sleep inducing to me. I was kind of glad we didn't get the three way at the last takeover because I just don't like watching the guy in NXT, his matches are boring, he can be all fired up but his matches are pretty formulaic and he should probably working in a tagteam while he puts together a new moveset because most of his offense is dull except for the corner dropkick. I wanted to like the guy but am glad he'll be off tv for a while I hope he comes back at a level that matches or is close to his pre-NXT work.

I don't mind Balor, he'd be better as a heel but especially now that Sami is hurt, they need a face the crowd is behind at the top and I think his promos are getting better. The Sling Blade does look like poo though and everytime he does it I think about Billy Bob Thorton rubbing his hands together, mmm-hmm.

I think Balor's moveset would be much better as a heel, he really doesn't do anything flashy. I feel like if he was a heel he should be the demon full time, or be a face without the paint, heel when he does, though that would probably be confusing for most of the audience.

What an odd position for Bálor to be in (at least with this board), where everyone agrees he's gonna be a huge star, but most of you personally aren't digging him.

He certainly has the look, the athleticism and the build of a star, its like he just hasn't put it all together in terms of what works for a WWE audience.

KENTA was at his best as the cocky underdog, where he would arrogantly stand up to men much bigger than him. I think Itami will find success when he's in the ring against Owens (now looking unlikely due to the length of his rehab and Owens probably movin' on up), Rhyno, or even Baron Corbin.

He was also rad as a bully, like when he looked right over MIKAMI in that tag tournament way back when. He has a tonne of in-ring charisma but he's playing generic babyface and that's not his thing. Let him be a punk (and use the GTS, lololol).

Bálor reminds me more of Seth Rollins, but I do think he has a weird something that elevates him charisma-wise with a significant portion of the population. Bland face Orton wishes he had the charisma Bálor has. 

I know that we can't judge him by the reaction of the NXT mutants because that's a whole different world, but the paint and the flippies will translate really well to what WWE fans in general think is good work. I do really hate Bálor's offense, though. Actually, of the guys that are indie/Japan stars that have come in recently, only Kevin Owens and Becky Lynch have what I'd call anything resembling painful-looking offense. Itami really needs to figure out how to get over without the half of his offense he can't do anymore, but I understand that. Crowe's offense is terrible. Bálor's offense is terrible. I'm interested to see what Uhaa Nation looks like on offense when he debuts.

It's a terrible trend in NXT of guys having awesome moves and really shitty finishers by comparison. Just observing as a fan I wouldn't be able to buy Balor beating John Cena with that double stomp, Bloody Sunday yes among several other moves of his, but not the double stomp. It looks painful but it just doesn't have the oomph required, IMO. Sami Zayn, Itami, Tyler, etc. all have that same problem; great offensive moves and terrible finishes. For the life of me I don't know why they don't just let Tyler use the Supermodel Kick instead of the Beauty Shot.

I think the backlash (mostly) here against Balor is weird because of how small a sample size he's had as far as real matches in NXT. You can't judge him based on bullshit tags with Itami against The Ascension or squash matches. If you're not a fan then you're not a fan but he's clearly proven himself globally and it's not like he's suddenly forgotten how to work. The only disappointing real match he's had was against Owens and that was, IMO, because it was taped, cut for time, and in the can forever before it aired, had it been live on a special it would've been amazingly suspenseful.

I'd be amazed if Balor didn't get over like a motherfucker on the main roster, it would be one of the most shocking things ever in the business for me if he busted. He may not main event Mania but I see him being an amazing attraction domestically and abroad, more so than probably anyone else in NXT with the exception of possibly Zayn.

• Like 1

Joe looked really good I think he's going to have a great run. Owens is in the two best feuds in WWE. Being in the same ring with Mojo made Ryder look like a world class star. I laughed when Jojo ran for her life when that idiot hit the ring. Bull should switch to cool ranch doritos they do wonders for my physique.

Balor vid was cool, and something he really needed. They need to do something for Corbin as well. They're trying way too hard with Dana. Evil Emma is pretty badass I want to see her against Becky and Sasha. Speaking of Becky she's become one of the more interesting wrestlers to watch in WWE. Once again Cass and Enzo were great in a backstage skit. Those two are going to be money on the main roster.

If I got to book only one thing in WWE it would be J&J going to NXT to have a feud with Cass and Enzo.  Noble and Enzo cutting promos on each other would lead to the next boom period.

• Like 1

I suppose with Kevin Owens and Samoa Joe being tubbier guys who are getting a push, WWE's gotta keep things balanced and make fun of a fat dude or two. 

I really enjoyed this show all around, but I think my favorite thing besides Kevin Owens being a lousy hypocrite was Blue Pants coming to the ring, getting a massive pop, and Corey Graves disgustedly interjecting with "Who keeps letting her in the building?" Perfect timing on that quip.

Everyone loves Enzo on the mic, but I think Cass deserves more credit for being really good in that regard, too. They are really gelling as a unit at this point.

• Like 1

I appreciate Mojo coming out there and trying a few things to see how they'd stick. Putting him with Zach Ryder in a babyface tag team was a smart move.