DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

As a fan of Westerns it’s great to see a gaming world like Red Dead Redemption built on them.

I'm with you here, and I'm still baffled there aren't more western video games. Literally every single western trope is also basically standard video game fare. They fit like a glove. Yet Red Dead is pretty close to the only highly successful example, like, ever.

Too young to have played Boot Hill then? It was pretty big in the very early 80s.

So, I'm playing ME2, and I've got to Project Overlord, and suddenly I'm not playing Mass Effect any more, and instead I'm playing Frogger, only the lake is made of Lava and the logs are made of rock, and they keep sinking and this is really fucking stupid why can't I just use the fucking shuttle I use for every other bit of planetary travel in the fucking game? This is worse than waiting half an hour for the fucking lift elevator in ME1.

On the plus side, I did manage to get to number one in agar.io earlier. I was called Where'sMyMoney?

Seriously, just type agar.io into your browser. Trust me. It's good.

As a fan of Westerns it’s great to see a gaming world like Red Dead Redemption built on them.

I'm with you here, and I'm still baffled there aren't more western video games. Literally every single western trope is also basically standard video game fare. They fit like a glove. Yet Red Dead is pretty close to the only highly successful example, like, ever.

Too young to have played Boot Hill then? It was pretty big in the very early 80s.

So, I'm playing ME2, and I've got to Project Overlord, and suddenly I'm not playing Mass Effect any more, and instead I'm playing Frogger, only the lake is made of Lava and the logs are made of rock, and they keep sinking and this is really fucking stupid why can't I just use the fucking shuttle I use for every other bit of planetary travel in the fucking game? This is worse than waiting half an hour for the fucking lift elevator in ME1.

On the plus side, I did manage to get to number one in agar.io earlier. I was called Where'sMyMoney?

Seriously, just type agar.io into your browser. Trust me. It's good.

Holy shit, I had not thought of Boot Hill in 30 years. (Or Outlaw, its 2600 counterpart/knockoff/whatever)

I started gaming in '86 but you just hit me with a new one there. Will have to look it up.

Matter Chief Collection takes a year to download apparently.

Yeah - I totally spaced the fact that they no longer give your physical games and it was the digital download.

It took over a day for the Master Chief (or Matter Chief as you called it and I will now always laugh at) to download for me.

Though to be fair... it did let me start playing it at only around 35% complete.

On the subject of Western games, I do remember quite liking Gun. That's another one that I never finished and own on the XBOX OG. 

I also hate the installation process for games. The PS4 is bad about downloading and saying it "installed" a game from the disc, but you then discover that the game has to install after you boot it up. I am battling that with a game I picked up just now.

Hardwiring your console:

Its a faster connection no matter what, no real outside factors to screw with transfer speeds aside from bending/breaking cables.

Fresh is correct.  My PS3 has been hardwired forever.

• Like 1

Oh I already warned my wife that I was running an Ethernet cable clear across the apartment. (I pretty much knew that while I could get away with it for the 360 - the One would eventually have to be hardwired)

I just have buy one long enough

Do like I did, put the router near wherever the console is.

My modem and my router are plugged in at my living room TV. I hard wire those consoles. If I ever move a console to our bedroom, then I have to wi-fi, but I never move the consoles around.

Do like I did, put the router near wherever the console is.

While I would love to do this - I can't since my stupid apartment only has one spot for the cable modem to go.

So I am either running a cable from the router to the One halfway across the room or a cable from the router to the modem (which will be the same distance)

I'm gonna end up grabbing a One this week more than likely, and will probably end up moving my modem and router into the office from the living room...it's only ten feet or so, but hey, less walls!

Gonna need another power strip, though...man, my office is a death trap.

I'm gonna end up grabbing a One this week more than likely, and will probably end up moving my modem and router into the office from the living room...it's only ten feet or so, but hey, less walls!

The deal with getting a free game of your choice ends on the 27th. Don't procrastinate.

The deal with getting a free game of your choice ends on the 27th. Don't procrastinate.

Yeah, I know. Just waiting for my Amazon credit card statement to show up, which should be...well, tomorrow or Friday.

I was going to get the Unity bundle, but Unity is available for $20 everywhere now. In November, if I can last that long, it'll probably go on sale for $10. I'd rather pony up the extra $50 to double the HDD, even though I'm not a huge Halo guy.

• Like 1

Jeezis, Gamestop is holding a gun to my head and telling me to buy the XBox One or they'll blow my brains out.

$350 for the system - $150 trade-in credit on my 360 = $200 for an XBox One PLUS a free game.

My big sticking point, crazily enough: the free game. I can't think of a single thing I might want. God, I've played GTA 5 to death, I hate Halo/Destiny first-person shooters, don't care for Assassin's Creed games and have no real desire to play the new Batman game. But holy shit, $200 seems like one of those things that won't be beaten any time soon, even by Christmas sales.

Jeezis, Gamestop is holding a gun to my head and telling me to buy the XBox One or they'll blow my brains out.

$350 for the system - $150 trade-in credit on my 360 = $200 for an XBox One PLUS a free game.

My big sticking point, crazily enough: the free game. I can't think of a single thing I might want. God, I've played GTA 5 to death, I hate Halo/Destiny first-person shooters, don't care for Assassin's Creed games and have no real desire to play the new Batman game. But holy shit, $200 seems like one of those things that won't be beaten any time soon, even by Christmas sales.

I think Best By might be offering 175 for an Xbox 360 trade in as long as it's a newer model with a 250GB HD.

The Witcher III?