DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Evan Mathis released by the Eagles

NFLPA should file a grievance or sue. Mathis skipped "voluntary" workouts and got cut for it. That's bull.

Again, it was an uncapped year. It shouldn't matter what the teams spend before or after. If it did then it's either in the CBA or else there's a secret artificial cap, which, hey, is collusion and illegal. The only reason the NFL didn't get in trouble for it is because the inept NFLPA agreed to the collusion so that the cap for the other teams was increased.

Has any player in NFL history made more money off of one game than Matt Flynn has?

Maybe Jamarcus Russell. Except his wasn't even a game, it was the combine.
  • Like 1

Those passes against ND where he'd just flick his wrist and the ball went forty yards were spectacular.

But ND had no secondary that year. They played three teams with good passing attacks (USC and Michigan being the other two) and just got lit up all three times.

NFLPA should file a grievance or sue. Mathis skipped "voluntary" workouts and got cut for it. That's bull.

Wasn't this one of those things where Mathis wanted a new deal and had said he wasn't going to report? I know he had permission to look for a trade but no one came calling, and the Eagles had said they weren't going to give him more money. The timing is worse than normal, but this type of release happens a ton, yeah? Not defending it or the NFL, I just don't see how different it is from a bunch of other salary related releases that happen every year. If I'm missing something crucial or obvious please correct me. 

Wasn't this one of those things where Mathis wanted a new deal and had said he wasn't going to report? I know he had permission to look for a trade but no one came calling, and the Eagles had said they weren't going to give him more money. The timing is worse than normal, but this type of release happens a ton, yeah? Not defending it or the NFL, I just don't see how different it is from a bunch of other salary related releases that happen every year. If I'm missing something crucial or obvious please correct me.

The Eagles sited him 'skipping' ota's as part of the reason they released him. The problem is those ota's are 'volunteery' work outs. So the question then becomes when does a volunteery work out become required...when you can get fined/cut for not showing up to them.

I always thought it was flinging it 70yards on his knees

I thought that was Kyle Boller's schtick.

Also, I suppose Larry Brown would work, too. He got a lot of money after Neil O'Donnell threw two passes directly to him in a Super Bowl.

Has any player in NFL history made more money off of one game than Matt Flynn has?

Rob Johnson?

I was thinking of him too, but Flynn has gotten multiple deals, while ol' Rob only had one. . . .

The Eagles sited him 'skipping' ota's as part of the reason they released him. The problem is those ota's are 'volunteery' work outs. So the question then becomes when does a volunteery work out become required...when you can get fined/cut for not showing up to them.

No they didn't

The media loves to say that was the reason because of the timing but the Eagles did not specify a reason. (Though it is clear that it was the contract dispute that did it - not him not showing up. Since he didn't show up last year either)

Teams are allowed to cut players for any reason. Yes it looks bad but if you see the quotes coming from Mathis' teammates - they aren't really upset at the decision.

I've loved every minute of the Eagles' offseason. It's been such a fucking trainwreck and I can't wait for it all to play out on the field. Chip Kelly is so overrated. It's the same thing with new qbs in the league. He had his little run when everyone hadn't adjusted to his crappy offense but once they did...

The Sam Bradford trade still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

• Like 3

So the Bengals released Terrelle Pryor so now Drew Rosenhaus is informing teams that Pryor will switch to be a WR

So yes - he was just as stubborn as Tim Tebow

CH8-OUEWcAAksKw.jpg

To say I'm proud is an understatement.  What a wonderful gesture to the grieving families of those lost in Charleston. I am very happy that the owner of my team would give to those who need it the most.

• Like 7