DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-22-14 - Christmas Show

MGFanJay

The show is suffering right now. They've made so many poor decisions over the past four months or so and they have no obvious way to dig themselves out. Every hot act has cooled. Every hot feud was finished in a unsatisfactory manner. 

The only good thing right now is that dolph is miraculously still over. He's the last man standing and by default is finally going to get his shot. 

I think the only real way to salvage the Ambrose / Wyatt feud is for them to inexplicably become best friends.  Ambrose needs to get beat down by Rollins and other heels during the Rumble, and then the countdown for the next guy to come out goes down, lights go out, Wyatt teleports in and starts beating on all the heels and saving Dean. 

And then they realize everyone else is down except them, so they immediately start brawling again. 

Given this is the WWE, it'll be a precursor to becoming tag champs.

-I skipped most of the Piper's Pit.  Well, pretty much all of it.  I'm guessing it went LANA: "Russia is superior" PIPER: "America, love it or leave it" RUSEV: "Crush" PIPER: "Here's Ryback!" Am I wrong?

Pretty much spot on

I thought one of the funniest line of the night was when Ryback came out with a bow on, and Piper just yells "HA HAAAA, a BOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

I find myself being consistently shocked when Dolph wins matches these days.

God, did he come out of Survivor Series with a HYOOGE head of steam. They booked him perfectly. Did they take advantage of it in any way, or did he just go back to being Dolph (even though he's winning matches)? That should've meant the start of a big push for him, not staying where he has been.

One of those annoying "Insider Newz~!" sites linked on Yahoo that I look at too much is saying the WWE is doubting Reigns and thinking about having Ambrose or Ziggler win the Rumble, with Ambrose being much more likely. Either would be a good choice. Ambrose could outcrazy and outfox Lesnar and Ziggler could outsmart and outwrestle Lesnar. I think both should be cashed in on immediately by Rollins to start the next feud.

EDIT: Yay fantasy booking! What about an NXT battle royal at Wrestlemania with the winner gettting called up?

Is it just me, or are they pushing the irritating "Dolph loves to PERFORM (rather than win matches)" thing really hard lately? Another one of those wink-wink-wrestling-is-fake things WWE seems to love these days.

Dolph says it all the time in interviews...it's one of the things I dislike about him. As a character he doesn't care if he wins or loses as long as he puts on a great performance and makes his opponent better.

• Like 1

One of those annoying "Insider Newz~!" sites linked on Yahoo that I look at too much is saying the WWE is doubting Reigns and thinking about having Ambrose or Ziggler win the Rumble, with Ambrose being much more likely. Either would be a good choice. Ambrose could outcrazy and outfox Lesnar and Ziggler could outsmart and outwrestle Lesnar. I think both should be cashed in on immediately by Rollins to start the next feud.

EDIT: Yay fantasy booking! What about an NXT battle royal at Wrestlemania with the winner gettting called up?

Maybe an NXT battle royal on Raw with the winner getting into the Rumble.

At what point did Mizdow turn into Non from Superman 2?

Is it just me, or are they pushing the irritating "Dolph loves to PERFORM (rather than win matches)" thing really hard lately? Another one of those wink-wink-wrestling-is-fake things WWE seems to love these days.

Dolph says it all the time in interviews...it's one of the things I dislike about him. As a character he doesn't care if he wins or loses as long as he puts on a great performance and makes his opponent better.

Yeah he needs to work on his promos, I don't get his character lately since winning at Survivor Series.  It's like they told him to do his interviews very soft spoken and humble, and calmly talk about how respectful he is towards his opponents.  He's been vey reserved in his backstage promos, and too methodical, like what happened to his cocky "i'm better than everyone" act?  Then he goes out for a match and he's acting cocky again and yelling about how damn good he is.  I'm willing to blame whoever is scripting the promos or coaching him to do it that way, but they should really have him be more animated and excited during his promos, and act more confident and consistent.

MORELOCK, on 23 Dec 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yeah I was getting pissed during TLC when the announcers kept saying that Dolph said this would be his best match ever tonight. How about making winning your #1 goal, and if it happens in a one minute shitty match who cares you still won the belt.

These Wyatt/Ambrose hardcore division lite matches were getting old and boring when Sheamus and Christian were having them every week, and they're played out even more now.  I don't get the "Bray can't wrestle" talking point as he's done fine for the most part and gets stuck in way too many gimmick matches.  His spider walk pop-up (especially the way they used it last night) reminded me so much of Taker's sit-up.  Not sure if that's what he was going for or not, but I thought it worked really well.  This feud is doing neither guy any favors though.

I get that Reigns is cool and sexy and all, but he'd really be better off as a heel in the smug, swaggering Kevin Nash vein.  Have he and Rollins in a match that ends up with a double turn as Reigns would benefit much more having Heyman as a mouthpiece than Rollins.

Has -anyone- on the upper card had any kind of decent or consistent booking since Mania?  Cesaro could be one of the hottest guys in the company right now if they'd followed through with the roll he was on and kept him in a consistent storyline, but now he's barely making it onto Main Event.

Not sure why people are upset unless it is because Cesaro was not on the show.  It was a good show.

The camera work was problematic at the end of Nattie-Brie but it was a good match.

Harper-Ziggler was solid.  Harper has a nice moveset and I hope they do not tone it down because he is a big guy.  Nice range of moves and I hope he gets over because it is fun watching the big guys like Rusev/Ryback/Harper/Henry/etc wrestle.  I hope they use either the US or IC title as a pseudo Super HW division in 2015 so those guys so not get lost in the shuffle.

Loved the camera work when Rollins went over the top rope.  Instead of that quick cut we got a nice shot looking up and it made the move seem bigger than it actually was.  It had the feel of Rollins being 25 ft in the air.

Santa Divas was great.  Naomi was the real star of the match.  She deserves a run at the title soon, very soon.  Paige and Emma have this under the radar bit going on from NXT that is wonderful.  They may not be the stars of the match but their background work with each other is spectacular.

The tag stuff is nice but the division feels a bit stale.  Hopefully The Ascension solves that.

Wyatt-Ambrose was ok.  The street fight match bit for Dean is getting stale.  

I think the booking is fine.  The Royal Rumble is more than a month away and with this being Christmas week the show had no reason to be this good.  They could have done a throwaway show and started the RR stuff in 2015 but this was a great RAW.

• Like 1

One thing I did like about the street fight is that it ended when Ambrose ran into the kendo stick. Weapon shots should be treated like potential match enders and not sold like regular wrestling offense. I mean, if a chairshot is only slightly more effective than a suplex, why is it illegal?

One thing I did like about the street fight is that it ended when Ambrose ran into the kendo stick. Weapon shots should be treated like potential match enders and not sold like regular wrestling offense. I mean, if a chairshot is only slightly more effective than a suplex, why is it illegal?

Because it's a weapon and not wrestling move?

• Like 1

Yeah he needs to work on his promos, I don't get his character lately since winning at Survivor Series. It's like they told him to do his interviews very soft spoken and humble, and calmly talk about how respectful he is towards his opponents. He's been vey reserved in his backstage promos, and too methodical, like what happened to his cocky "i'm better than everyone" act? Then he goes out for a match and he's acting cocky again and yelling about how damn good he is. I'm willing to blame whoever is scripting the promos or coaching him to do it that way, but they should really have him be more animated and excited during his promos, and act more confident and consistent.

Ziggles promos are never going to get better. He is EITHERYELLINGBECAUSETHATSTHRFUCKINGTHINGTODO!!!! or he is an unfunny asshole who thinks he is cool. I always look back at that Suvivor Series 2011 crowd eating him alive after they realized Ryder wasn't going be in the match. It was like embarrassing to watch.

I don't know why people peg Ziggler a good promo.

Because it's a weapon and not wrestling move?

If it's legal in a wrestling match, it's a wrestling move by definition. Why make weapons illegal if they don't do that much damage?

I can just imagine Adrian Neville being dragged off kicking and screaming as Vince gleefully holds up the Mighty Mouse costume with the giant ears...

Yes, I'm sure he'll be crying all the way to the bank.

Considering how lower-card guys were complaining about their WM payoffs in the past couple years, it's more like he'll be laughing all the way to the check cashing place that also gives out high-interest short-term loans.