DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL: WEEK FOURTEEN

Dewar

New week, new topic. I will be freezing my ass off Sunday afternoon watching my shitty ass Jets live for the first time ever. I will have my white #4 Brett Favre New York Jets jersey on over top of seven layers of clothing, so they might call me out of the stands to play quarterback. Or placekick or punt, since apparently the Jets fucking suck at that now too.

Actual games of note this week:

Pittsburgh at Cincy, Indy at Cleveland, Baltimore at Miami, KC/Arizona, Seattle/Philly, NE/San Diego

• Like 1

Just for the record

Andre Johnson remains a really good dude

Yeah.  "Anything you can fit in your cart in 80 seconds plus a bike plus a game system" is a pretty awesome thing to give a bunch of kids.

• Like 3

New week, new topic. I will be freezing my ass off Sunday afternoon watching my shitty ass Jets live for the first time ever. I will have my white #4 Brett Favre New York Jets jersey on over top of seven layers of clothing, so they might call me out of the stands to play quarterback. Or placekick or punt, since apparently the Jets fucking suck at that now too.

Actual games of note this week:

Pittsburgh at Cincy, Indy at Cleveland, Baltimore at Miami, KC/Arizona, Seattle/Philly, NE/San Diego

If the Bills can get to Peyton, and its a BIG if, the Buf-Den game might be interesting. . .

Gabbert belongs in the "good" old days of 4-5 years ago, when Nolan and then Singletary were surrounding Alex Smith with backups so bad that Alex could never possibly suck enough to justify being pulled for them.

Except the Shaun Hills and Troy Smiths actually did do better when they had to go in because the swiss cheese offensive line got Alex too hurt to even throw one more quail of an interception, so they then had to be benched and gotten rid off (the David Carrs could stay, though) in the great effort to admit the #1 Overall Pick was Not In Vain even though anyone who pays attention knew it was as soon as it was made because they took someone who wasn't Aaron Rodgers (and to his credit, Rodgers still has the decency to pretend to have a chip on his shoulder that his hometown "grew up rooting for them" team didn't draft him when it had the chance whenever someone still asks him about it).

Gabbert's job is to keep the new stadium from ever being filled with "WE WANT [other guy]" chants in its inaugural season.  Kaepernick's legs and 40 time make it literally impossible for Gabbert to ever be the better option no matter how completely Kap's reads make Vernon Davis [or anyone else not named Anquan Boldin, for that matter] disappear.

Did Vernon Davis actually end that holdout he started in training camp?  I can't tell.  He might as well not have.

Or maybe the front office just sabotaged this team by quietly making Jim Harbaugh a lame duck when they didn't sign him to a contract extension.

One thing's for sure:  Seattle threw down the gauntlet [via popping Crabtree] on the second play of the game on Thanksgiving and the 49ers immediately broadcast that they would not dare respond and the NFC West belongs to Seattle until further notice (as soon as the Cardinals finish turning back into a pumpkin and lose their glass slipper).

• Like 1

The 49ers should absolutely wax the Raiders.

Instead they'll squeak by on an overtime FG.  It'll look more or less like the Washington game.

And then they'll go to Seattle and die.

I think if the Cardinals don't lose Palmer they hold on to the division but Seattle is starting to get it together so who knows. Vernon Davis has been pretty awful in his own right this season. Or how about Crabtree not being able to get open. Or how about Boldin dropping passes that he's never dropped in his career. Or Aldon Smith missing nine games. Or Patrick Willis being out for the year. Or Bowman being out for the year. Or Lloyd being the deep threat that we never utilize. Or Stevie being the slot receiver that we never utilize. Or Frank Gore not getting touches. Or Roman electing to throw the ball all over the lot when the offensive line is designed to pound the rock. Or Roman still after four seasons not knowing how the fuck to score in the redzone.

It's been hilariously awful.

At least the new stadium has the shiny new Team Museum to better facilitate clinging to the glory days and continued living in the superior past rather than the disappointing present.

I wonder if the Ronnie Lott statue is missing the corresponding fingertip?

So, maybe it's time the niners see what they have in Gabbert

No, no it's not. I've suffered through Gabbert, it is unfair for any other fanbase to do the same. There's a reason Jaguar fans have shirts that say "I Survived Blaine Gabbert"

• Like 3

So, maybe it's time the niners see what they have in Gabbert

No, no it's not. I've suffered through Gabbert, it is unfair for any other fanbase to do the same. There's a reason Jaguar fans have shirts that say "I Survived Blaine Gabbert"

Any team that willfully starts Gabbert deserves to be ridiculed and should be kicked out of the NFL immediately.  The man literally flinches any time a defensive player comes within ten feet of him.  The AFC South misses him, though.  He was great for laughs.

So if you are a Rams or a typical delusional Skins fans, you can actually get tickets to the game Sunday in the 100 section for under $40 on stubhub.  There are seats in the 200 section that is less than $15 bucks.   Granted that is actually less than the cost of parking at that shitty stadium so they get you anyway.   But the idea that December regular season tickets are less than pre-season tickets is something

Jay Glazer is reporting that Brian Hoyer remains the Browns starter

Which is probably for the best. Johnny Football looked good on the one drive, but the Bills ate him alive on the second one. A bad snap had something to do with it, but I'm not sure he's ready. A full training camp and the like as a starter will be needed to adapt to the NFL. The scrambling is nice for highlights and can be productive, but as RGIII proved, in case also get you maimed right quick. . . 

So if you are a Rams or a typical delusional Skins fans, you can actually get tickets to the game Sunday in the 100 section for under $40 on stubhub.  There are seats in the 200 section that is less than $15 bucks.   Granted that is actually less than the cost of parking at that shitty stadium so they get you anyway.   But the idea that December regular season tickets are less than pre-season tickets is something

I would probably grab the cheap tickets.  I love pro football games.  Could be fun watching the Schadenfreude of the Skins fans around you.

Get your waders out, it's time to drudge through the dreck of the football season!  It's time for....

Top of the Bottom:  The Quest for the Goodell Trophy!!

So the Jags won, whatsupwithdat?  TO THE RANKINGS!

1) 1-11 Oakland

2) 2-10 Tennessee

3) 2-10 Jacksonville

4) 2-10 Tampa

5) 2-10 New York (Hallucinatory) Football Jets

6) 3-9 New York Football Odell Beckhams

7) 3-9 Washington 

8) 3-8-1 Carolina

9) 5-7 New Orleans

10) 5-7 Minnesota

Teams Eliminated: Buffalo, Miami, Houston

Welcome one and all to the "Guess who's back, back again?" edition of Top of the Bottom. You had one week Raiders fans, but welcome back to the top of the list!  The Jags were nice enough to keep the spot warm for you!  We're getting to an interesting point in the season as the eliminations are starting to creep up on the bottom of the list.  When the Huston Texans, a team that has frequented the list a few times, is eliminated from contention then you know that every loss counts.

This week finds quite the log jam for the #2 spot, it's a veritable vortex of suck.  I honestly don't know which team will bumble it's way into a win first, but I feel like the Jets are in a good spot to pick up some last minute wins against playoff-bound team's B-teams.  But knowing that team I certainly wouldn't put money on it.  The Giants have pretty much guaranteed that Beckham will have more spectacular catches this year then the team will have wins; but at least they can still say they are not the Jets.

The Saints seem to actually be trying to make the playoffs, so I expect Drew Brees to go Super Saiyan and Spirit Bomb the Saints off the list shortly.  That still doesn't preclude the entire NFC South from finishing the season on the list, which is sort of my perverse wish this football season.

Will that dream come true?  Will a definitive #2 contender break from the pack?  How much suck do these teams have in the gas tank?  Tune in next week to find out!

• Like 2

The Bills have officially terminated the agreement to play games in Toronto

Some idiots payed the Bills millions of dollars to one third fill Skydome and when they needed an emergency game where do they go? Detroit.

Thank goodness this entire silliness is at an end. Toronto's bizarre, inexplicable self belief the NFL actually likes them defies all rationale.