DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I don't see how losing at Summerslam hurt Nexus. If anything, it was smart that they stopped trying to make them equals pushed Wade as a solo star. No one got has much heat as he did for the shit he did to Cena. The night after Survivor Series, the crowd was booing him so loud, he told them to shut up because he fired Cena before cutting the promo. It was great.

One thing I will remember for a long ass time was watching that promo with Barrett calling Cena pathetic and Cena took it with my grandmother. This 68 year old Native American woman was blind in one eye evoked the spirit of The Duke (that's John Wayne for you non-believers) and called Cena was a bitch for taking Wade's shit and said "John Wayne wouldn't take his shit!" She died a few months later of CHF, but I digress..

Pro wrestling is awesome when you see someone else genuinely invested in it.

Only problem was he was just 'okay' in the ring on his best night against someone not named John Cena vs a Randy Orton that is fucking awful at carrying people. If Wade was as good as he is now in the ring back in 2010, there's no fucking reason why they wouldn't of put the belt on him.

• Like 1

I feel like RZombie feels about Mark Henry except about Sheamus. I wouldn't pass the Matt D "can you empathize" test either. Beyond him being a good striker willing to give and take stiff shots, I'm not sure why people like him. I don't get it. 

I watch Sheamus and wish I was watching Finlay instead. That guy had a real sense of meanness that both face and heel Sheamus lacks. There's no authenticity there, no sense of seething violence brimming underneath the surface.

What am I missing?

• Like 1

I don't see how losing at Summerslam hurt Nexus. If anything, it was smart that they stopped trying to make them equals pushed Wade as a solo star. No one got has much heat as he did for the shit he did to Cena. The night after Survivor Series, the crowd was booing him so loud, he told them to shut up because he fired Cena before cutting the promo. It was great.

One thing I will remember for a long ass time was watching that promo with Barrett calling Cena pathetic and Cena took it with my grandmother. This 68 year old Native American woman was blind in one eye evoked the spirit of The Duke (that's John Wayne for you non-believers) and called Cena was a bitch for taking Wade's shit and said "John Wayne wouldn't take his shit!" She died a few months later of CHF, but I digress..

Pro wrestling is awesome when you see someone else genuinely invested in it.

Only problem was he was just 'okay' in the ring on his best night against someone not named John Cena vs a Randy Orton that is fucking awful at carrying people. If Wade was as good as he is now in the ring back in 2010, there's no fucking reason why they wouldn't of put the belt on him.

Being "okay" in the ring is really all that's required to be a WWE Champion. He was a good talker, great at being a smarmy heel and got actual heat. They killed the heat by not pulling the trigger and giving him the belt. 

I do agree that SummerSlam was a non-factor but Wade not winning at Survivor Series was bad and Cena making Nexus his bitch for the next month (despite being "fired") really killed the angle. The nonsensical decision to have Punk lead Nexus and kick Barrett out buried it in its grave (and took Wade's heat with it). 

Honestly, WWE decided to put the championship on THE MIZ the night after Survivor Series and at that point in his career, Barrett was better, had more heat and definitely had more momentum. 

• Like 1

People keep bringing up Wade being injury proned, he has been more proned to being stepped over for terrible people:

- 2010, Miz

- 2011, Zeke Jackson

- 2012, Jericho/Sheamus

- 2013, Fandago/Miz/FUCKING CURTIS AXEL

- 2014, Swaggie

Like if they had just pushed the guy instead of jobbing him to Sheamus or some suck ass performer, he wouldn't be getting "hurt so much."  And I like Sheamus, but Wade is clearly better than him in every way except for milking a ten count. I will agree that Mark Henry isn't a guy I remember a lot of matches from. But fucking hell that Summerslam 2011 match with Sheamus is pro wrestling.

• Like 2

I don't see how losing at Summerslam hurt Nexus.

The whole match was played to a Nexus win, with Miz interfering against Bryan, Cena against 2 Nexus people and that DDT on the concrete.

Losing directly after that move against super smiley Cena and looking like the biggest jobbers that ever jobbed killed their momentum.

And don't even start on the whole Cena must join Nexus, beats them up EVERYTIME, then gets "fired" beats them up even more....

As heel, you probably wish you won't cross paths with that guy.

Wyatt should have known better.

The whole match was played to a Nexus win, with Miz interfering against Bryan, Cena against 2 Nexus people and that DDT on the concrete.

Losing directly after that move against super smiley Cena and looking like the biggest jobbers that ever jobbed killed their momentum.

People overlook how well the ending stretch was though. After the DDT spot, instead of pinning Cena, Wade had Gabriel hit his 450 move. And he didn't go to hit it ASAP, He took a good 2 or 3 minutes. Look enough for Cena to at least roll out of the way. Once Wade realized what happened, he charged in blindly and got tripped up into the STF. Which worked for me because Wade showed that no matter how collected and mature he was compared to the other rookies, he himself was still vulnerable to his own rage and inexperience.

I'd replace Cole too but I can't think of a play by play guy right now. 

Vince McMahon

I maintain that an amnesia angle where Vince comes out in his loud blazer and thinks he's the play-by-play guy again would be golden.  Triple H and Stephanie would just let him be since he'd be out of the way of their plans for world domination.

• Like 3

I know WWE's a Fortune 500 company all and of that, so "world domination" isn't that far-fetched.  Butttt...... there are probably a lot better vehicles for world domination than a pro wrestling company whose tv ratings are about 1/3 what they were when the company was popular.

I don't see Mickey Mouse practically begging people to watch Disney for the low, low price of...... 

Just sayin'

• Like 1

People overlook how well the ending stretch was though. After the DDT spot, instead of pinning Cena, Wade had Gabriel hit his 450 move. And he didn't go to hit it ASAP, He took a good 2 or 3 minutes. Look enough for Cena to at least roll out of the way. Once Wade realized what happened, he charged in blindly and got tripped up into the STF. Which worked for me because Wade showed that no matter how collected and mature he was compared to the other rookies, he himself was still vulnerable to his own rage and inexperience.

In place of actually discussing your points, take this:

You're the worst.

• Like 4

Different people have different tastes in wrestling.

I've never gotten the huge hype for Adam Cole or Magnus...true, Magnus' stock went off a cliff after he lost the TNA Title to Eric Young, but there was a time when he was the next next-big-thing to a lot of people.  They're talented, sure, but I have trouble seeing them as top-of-a-promotion talented.

In place of actually discussing your points, take this:

You're the worst.

Fine. I will accept that. But you have a guy giving himself a piledriver to put over a sex doll in your sig. Are you really in a position to talk about weird/stupid/usual/blah blah etc booking?

Fine. I will accept that. But you have a guy giving himself a piledriver to put over a sex doll in your sig. Are you really in a position to talk about weird/stupid/usual/blah blah etc booking?

In the context of that show it's perfect booking. In the context of WWE at the time the Cena/Nexus finish was the worst. 

That's more like it. :)

But it's not the WWE's fault that the internet lives in some sort of fantasy land in which the top guy jobs when it matters the most. The Nexus didn't have any long term potential because the only one who didn't look like he wanted to cry out of fear each time he went out there was Wade Barrett. Summerslam was the ending to the hot summer angle. When they realized that only Wade was worth the push, he got it, made them some coin (particularly in Europe) and got kicked off the top of the cage by Punk for his troubles.

Punk buried Wade way more than anything Cena did. Even when Cena literally buried Wade under a bazillion chairs.

I feel like RZombie feels about Mark Henry except about Sheamus. I wouldn't pass the Matt D "can you empathize" test either. Beyond him being a good striker willing to give and take stiff shots, I'm not sure why people like him. I don't get it.

I watch Sheamus and wish I was watching Finlay instead. That guy had a real sense of meanness that both face and heel Sheamus lacks. There's no authenticity there, no sense of seething violence brimming underneath the surface.

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. Sheamus bought in and became exactly what WWE thinks people want. But underneath the stupid catchphrases (ie yelling Fella all the time) and his entire move set being made up of finishers is one hell of a worker.

Since the audiences have rebelled against anything resembling a Cena clone Sheamus is stuck in no mans land.

I would just stick Cesaro, Sheamus, and Barrett together as a bunch of European ass kickers.

• Like 1

I'm starting to get the internal impression that I'm just not a wrestling fan any more.  Nowadays I feel like I watch out of habit more than any enjoyment.  It's kinda sad that I pulled up the Kenta Kobashi-Samoa Joe match last night and my main impression was "Well, that was a lot of chops".