DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Brian's favourite mutant cast...

The role of Gambit in the X-Men movies has been cast. Step forward Mr Channing Tatum...

It's definite: Channing Tatum is joining the X-Men franchise, in the role of Gambit.

...and if I hear one more thing about Ben Affleck being the worst case of bad casting again...

I lose all credibility with my (non-bear) gay friends when I say this, but Channing Tatum is the absolute worst. 

Magic Mike was a case of:  A. it's easy to play yourself, and B. a stopped clock being right twice a day. 

It doesn't matter who they cast as Gambit, that person is overqualified.

Look, we had Gambit in a movie once before, and it was the worst X-Men movie ever.  THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE~!

• Like 1

It doesn't matter who they cast as Gambit, that person is overqualified.

Look, we had Gambit in a movie once before, and it was the worst X-Men movie ever.  THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE~!

A little something in the DC Entertainment thread might cheer you up ; )

Rewatched a bit of First Class.

The biggest problem with the movie was that they didn't have time to develop the kids.

The second biggest problem with the movie was that January Jones had a fuzzy hat instead of a personality.

Also, neither side on the "GAMBIT AND VENOM AND CARNAGE SUCKS! THIS ISN'T 1995!/WHAT? YOU PEOPLE ARE WEIRD! VENOM AND CARNAGE AND GAMBIT ARE AWESOME AND EVERYONE THINKS SO!" divide are being very practical here. 

1.) Casual fans are going to love these characters, especially Venom/Carnage because they engaged with them during their youthful dalliances into comics back when everyone was speculating and cartoons were on TV and there were videogames. They're also violent and visually exciting and colorful and they're very easy to process without a lot of effort. They're very visceral characters, easily distilled into something that is understandable and feels cool. 

2.) They're also not very deep and they worn out their welcome, if they ever really had one to begin with, which is why people who engage with these stories in a way that is not casual get annoyed when they talk to people who know they like comics and just want to talk about Deadpool/Venom/Punisher/Ghost Rider and then not even some attempt to make the character interesting but just the extreme in-your-face version from the 90s. 

We're not trying to understand a complex issue here.

Casual people think the cool characters are cool. Hardcore fans think that the over the top, kewl characters are played out and get in the way of things they find more interesting. 

Neither side can understand the other. 

Gambit was alright in certain contexts. He only really works as a quasi-antagonist, the shady guy who peope aren't quite sure of who stirs up discord with his presence. He doesn't work at all as a straight hero, and definitely not as a lead. Granted, I've been out on comics for over a decade at this point, so it's possible someone figured out the magic formula on him in that timespan, but once they finally decided that he wasn't the traitor, no one had a clue what to do with him.

Matt D might have a point but for me, I'm more than just a casual fan as I've been in and out of purchasing and reading comics for much of my life and I still like Gambit and Venom. I don't think you need to choose one or the other when it comes to what kinds of characters or stories interest you. 12 Years a Slave vs. True Lies. Both are awesome movies for very different reasons. If you are wondering why I chose those two I am staring at them.

I liked Gambit in the 90's cartoon, haven't really read enough him otherwise to say he is decent or terrible as a character.

I really loved the 90's cartoon Venom and liked the Spectacular version of Venom a decent bit as well. Otherwise the only version I have read enough of to comment on is the Flash Thompson version which I found to be pretty good. I'm honestly hoping they go that direction in the Sony film.