DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

oh my god i just read what the post-credits scene is for Days of Future Past and NOW I HAVE TO SEE IT. Damnit!!! I won't even attempt to spoil it, it's out there if you want to read about it.

Man now I'm torn. I'm seeing this movie this weekend most likely tomorrow night but at the same time its going to be nearly impossible for me to not look this up. I'll need to find someway to control myself for the next 24 hours or so. 

I am excited for Days of Future Past, but I think the only way X2 gets knocked off the pedestal is if Marvel Studios invents a time machine and gets Ziggy Stardust era David Bowie to star as Longshot in a movie about the Mojoverse. 

• Like 3

I found out late last week that I'm going to be traveling this Friday. I'm devastated. I might be able to make a late showing that night, but if not I'm kinda screwed this weekend. Argh.

Just saw ASM 2.  I agree with many of y'all.  It wasn't great, but it was better than I expected.  But there were flaws.

*The first action sequence was probably the most Spideyish movie-Spiderman yet.  Great mix of action and quips.  And the action overall was excellent.

*As pretty much everyone has said, they should have taken out the parents crap, done more with the Peter-Harry relationship, possibly done more with the Harry-Norman relationship, and left the Green Goblin fight for the next movie.  What did the parents stuff accomplish?  Peter learned that they were, in fact, not traitors (which he had only heard about earlier that day) and that OsCorp is trouble (which he already knew, right?).  The only thing I can think of is that now (ie in future movies) Peter has a secret science lab in which he can do secret science stuff.  Not remotely close to being worth it.

*So the Osbournes have a genetic disease that turns them into goblins?  Awfully convenient.  I kinda wish it could have been somehow related to Dr. Connors' work, but I guess that would make it tough to explain how Harry got it.

*As others have said, the ghost-of-Captain-Stacy thing didn't really pay off well.  I wonder if they should have had him glaring at Peter when he was at the grave site.  But really, if they were going to do it, I guess they did it the best way.  Having a couple minutes of screen time with Peter ditching Spidey -- but showing that it was several months in Peter-time -- was surely better than having Peter mope around for 15 minutes of screen time.  And using Gwen's valedictory speech as the pivot point worked as well as anything.  But I guess the best option would be to save Green Goblin and do Gwen's death at the end of the second act of ASM 3.  Goblin gets away, Peter quits, but then has to go back to it since the Goblin is still on the loose, Peter needs revenge, power/responsibility, etc.

*To me, a major problem was that the character of Max Dillon was badly written.  For starters, he's got the glasses, the gap in the teeth, slicked-down-yet-messy hair, a million pens in his pocket, etc.  It was waaaay over the top in portraying him as a cartoony stereotypical nerd.  Then everybody around him (except Peter and Gwen!) were jerks to him.  It was just silly.  I never felt like he was an actual human being.  The switch from being rabidly pro-Spidey to violently anti-Spidey didn't work.  And after he got freed from Dr. Strangelove's lair, his character was just 'generic baddie'.  Honestly, given the (unfortunate) fact they're spinning Spidey out into the Sinister Six, I wish Max had been a little more of a relatable character so they could eventually turn him face.  (I have no idea how they plan to do this stuff with only one superhero.  Maybe two with Black Cat?)  Regardless, I wonder if they had to give away the Goblin and Rhino in the previews because they knew that nobody would buy a ticket to see Jamie Foxx as a member of Lambda Lambda Lambda.

*I actually liked the bit with the kid at the end.  Kinda corny?  Yes.  Did it make sense that Rhino stopped shooting so they could talk?  No.  Would I have liked a POV over the kid's shoulder as he makes web shooting gestures as an actual web zips over his shoulder, temporarily slowing down Rhino?  Kid looks down at his hands, then turns around and sees Spidey?  The web on Rhino buys them a little time to talk?  Yes.  But still, it was cute.

My list:

1) SM 2

2) SM

3) ASM 2

4) ASM

5) SM 3

With a pretty significant gap between 3 & 4.  (possibly also between 4 & 5)

• Like 1

And it's just killing me that I'm not going to be able to see it first thing tomorrow like I had planned. Worse, since I already know I'm not gonna have anything better to do, I just know I'm going to be staring at this thread, unable to open it, while you fuckers lose your minds at the awesomeness.

It's equal to The Avengers, slightly better than The Winter Soldier (89), a bit below The Dark Knight (94), well above TDKR (88), and a bit below Spider-Man 2 (also 94.)

Of course, those ones are all a bit more stable, DoFP will probably still move a bit this next week or so.  Currently, X2 and First Class top the franchise at 87, so it has a good chance to take that spot.

Also, it's a bit behind Iron Man (93), well ahead Iron Man 2 (73) and 3 (78) and well above Man of Steel (56) or Amazing Spider-Man 2 (53)

Kinda surprised TDKR got 88. 

It sounds like its going to be right under the "elite" movies Avengers, TDK, SM2. Of course then again I'm sure most people consider X2 a top tier quality film even if I oddly enough prefer the first one. I think that ASM2 rating is harsh. Its not a great movie but its not 53 either. I'd put it in the high sixties low seventies.