DVDVR Message Board

NOV '14 WRESTLING PHOTOS

He's skinny fat.

Not here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akHUSxbqk6s

weren't Haku and Perfect both managed by Heenan at this time?

Perfect winning the IC Title was taped April 23 and aired May 19, Perfect was managed by The Genius on the April 30 SNME. So not quite, though I can't say for say for sure that Heenan hadn't started accompanying Perfect on house shows.

Has the story in Jericho's latest book about how Vince McMahon wanted to fight Frank Shamrock been discussed on this board yet?

Let me take care of that for you.

"Vince is a badass."

"We all know Frank would take him but still cool."

"Jericho sucks."

"His feud with Punk sucked."

"Punk sucks."

"The thread will be locked! Keep it down guys!"

"Vince is a badass."

• Like 2

That Jumbo/Haku match is a perfect example of just how neutered Martel and Hennig were as heels in WWF compared to their earlier runs. I think Martel's face run holds up very well in WWF, but he just doesn't have the matches as a heel. Almost everything you see from him is disappointing.

There's a Rick Martel shoot on Youtube in its entirety. I believe he says the reason he didn't get a bigger push was because his accent was so thick it was hard for people to understand him.

In his book, JJ Dillon said that they came up with the Model gimmick for him precisely for that reason. They wanted to do something with him but he wasn't the best interview due to his accent. So they figured, "hey, Rick's a good looking guy and models aren't known to be talkers, let's run with that." Great example of hiding a negative and accentuating a positive.

I don't really perceive Martel as lower-card - he wasn't pushed exactly, but they didn't put Michaels over him at SummerSlam 92, he got a double count-out against undefeated Tatanka in 93.....MSG win against the Bossman & Tornado. He was a solid midcarder. Dino Bravo was a lower mid-card act.

I don't really perceive Martel as lower-card - he wasn't pushed exactly, but they didn't put Michaels over him at SummerSlam 92, he got a double count-out against undefeated Tatanka in 93.....MSG win against the Bossman & Tornado. He was a solid midcarder. Dino Bravo was a lower mid-card act.

I would agree...most lower midcarders don't have feuds that culminate in ppv matches. For the record, I don't think Bravo was either. They invested time and managers in him. I picture Koko B Ware as the ultimate lower midcarder.