DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Lucha Underground Report 5/13/15

Well the end of this was totally balls-out and a legit "HOLY SHIT" moment. Lets see how the rest of the ep was on the replay.

Dario is talking to Matanza in the cage and introduces some Aztec medallions with secret powers. Matanza breathes heavily. Dario says he might bring the TV upstairs so he can watch the violence which is a funny line.

Some dude is wearing a sweet white Mil Mascaras mask in the crowd, and Rob Trujillo of Metallica/slap bass infamy is there too.

Aerostar vs. Jack Evans: This is the debut of Jack on the show. I haven't seen him in forever so lets see what Mr. Matrats can do. He needs to be schooled for biting Angelis' gear colors. Aero's rope-running even gains a greater level of amazement as he spins during a walk! Vamp claims to be trained by Homer Simpson after warning the kids at home; funny considering he wasn't trained at all initially. Damn Jack hits a brutal German. He sells the 450 off the rail which is nice too. Aero tries to climb the ropes and he can't even do it due to his knee. Of course Jack tries to take advantage but Aero hits a fucking Canadian Destroyer off the top rope. Usually I would piss all over that but it looked ten times more logical than a standing Destroyer because it looked like he was going for a sunset flip powerbomb, it was also super vicious and was a hell of a finish. Aerostar really can do no wrong to me I guess, and Evans came off as a true rudo with his yelling at the crowd and talking shit. Good stuff!

I was in the head but apparently there was a Big Ryck segment. Now there's a seven-way between

Killshot/Sexy Star/Pentagon Jr./Fenix/King Cuerno/Brian Cage/The Mack: This is for the Aztec Medallion which apparently grants "immortality". Okay. This is probably gonna be impossible to review because it's gonna be ten thousand highspots so I'll try and hit the biggest and brightest. I believe we can all agree that this needs to have as little Killshot as possible.

We almost immediately break down to Fenix and Pentagon in the ring together. Goddamn I would sport that Pentagon shirt for sure. Ugh now it's Killshot and Cuerno. Killshot does a really fruity run up the ropes which is something Aerostar would make look like a work of art. At least Cuerno chops and kicks the piss out of him and then Cage comes in with his 619. Now we get some teamwork with a double suplex and a huge elbowdrop/bodypress. Cage proceeds to lariat the shit out of Sexy and then everyone starts working again with a cool double corner stomp spot and everyone hits a finisher. Mack manhandles Cage and does a sweet standing moonsault. Killshot actually hits a nice tornillo and then gets splattered by the Cuerno tope. Wow, Pentagon kills Fenix and Sexy at the same time! Fenix hits a gnarly reverse rana into a standing moonsault for the win though. Well that was exactly what you imagine it was. Maybe not as great as that five-way that opened the program a couple months ago but damn close. A surprising amount of teamwork from Cage and Cuerno too who you would think would immediately turn on each other in the spirit of "every man for himself".

Ivelisse has broken her ankle so of course Dario puts her team against the Crew in a ladder match. There's some funny miscommunication with her trying to leave the office and her having to tell her partners to move the chair and open the door for her. Meanwhile, Fenix is in the locker room and Catrina pulls some mumbo-jumbo on him with a disappearing act and the appearance of three creepy looking luchadors in skull masks. I guess Fenix will be okay because he's "immortal" now.

Alberto El Patron vs. Hernandez (#1 Contender's Match): Well let's see who works harder rudo here. Nice slow start with an actual lockup before Hernandez starts brawling on the floor. That strut of his is so goofy and that running shove is mean. The audio might have been sweetened on the superkick but the camera angle made it look like death. And here comes Johnny Mundo! He pulls out Alberto, DDTs him on the floor, and THROWS ALBERTO THROUGH THE WINDOW OF THE OFFICE. Dario's face is the best through this. Then Johnny throws him back in the ring for the pinfall and we get a stretcher job while the crowd chants "perro" at Mundo. I'm surprised there wasn't a huge bladejob here; there just seems to be a trickle of blood next to Alberto's eye. Considering sugar glass can really fuck you up he got lucky. The image of Alberto hanging through the window was deservative of the "holy shit" chant for sure and it came out of nowhere. This is gonna be a blood feud for sure and was a perfect way to end the match and a pretty high-end episode.

BTW, I'm putting these on my blog now. Might as well cause I haven't written anything on the damn thing since Christmas.

Aw, I forgot about Aerostar/Evans.  That was such a fun match.  I'm normally not a fan of the Canadian Destroyer, but the top-rope version did look pretty good.  Nice to see this version of Evans.  Not following his lucha career I last saw him at ROH.  Good to see he's got a good heel vibe to him.

Also remembered Striker trying to pronounce a Mexican phrase properly and was so cautious to get it right.  Upon saying it Vampiro says "I love you".  It's the little things that make Vampiro a surprisingly great color commentator.  If he's feeling the love and is super into everything, it just makes me into it as well.

• Like 2

Aw, I forgot about Aerostar/Evans.  That was such a fun match.  I'm normally not a fan of the Canadian Destroyer, but the top-rope version did look pretty good.  Nice to see this version of Evans.  Not following his lucha career I last saw him at ROH.  Good to see he's got a good heel vibe to him.

Also remembered Striker trying to pronounce a Mexican phrase properly and was so cautious to get it right.  Upon saying it Vampiro says "I love you".  It's the little things that make Vampiro a surprisingly great color commentator.  If he's feeling the love and is super into everything, it just makes me into it as well.

I took it as pure sarcasm. That's what made me laugh anyways.

• Like 1

Mundo throwing Alberto through the window was a great visual. Hell of a 'statement made' kind of turn. Didn't expect that but looking forward to more from them. Fun seg with the trios champs being informed of the ladder match. Ivelisse is the best.

Yes, Ivelisse is the best!

Package Piledriver/Window's Peak combo in my mind was the move of the show.

Very much looking forward to more Catrina and to see where this goes still I hope Mil 2.0 gets a new finisher.

I like Evil Mundo pulling the shawn to Del Rio's Marty in the main event.

• Like 1

What a show. Easy top 3 of their run so far from me.

Aero Star/Jack Evans was so great. I was prepared for the messed up dive since Aero Star pre-warned me but the edit was good covering it up and he sold the injury the rest of the way! I'm a fucking nerd about rope tricks so in a show full of a million billion cool spots my favorite was his double spin escape the ring trick and then that entire sequence where he sprung off the bottom rope, sent Jack out, did a flip over the top onto his feet, Jack apron 619, Jack 450 off the balcony... HOLY CHRIST! SO MUCH! SO AMAZING! Was tepid when I heard Jack would be playing rudo but he was great with the trash talk throughout. That finish was all sorts of nasty. If it were anyone other than Jack I'd be worried about doing shit like that but Jack's unbreakable so I just hope they do it from the balcony next time.

The 7 way was absolute bonkers. I had a good laugh when the announcers were rambling about Ryck/Mack having family issues as Fenix/Pentagon (the actual brothers) were murdering each other in the ring. That superkick sell by Fenix is the definition of "attacking the mat" when you bump. Pentagon Jr.'s combo Gory Bomb/Package Piledriver was all sorts of nasty. I've seen it before but never set up that way. The tope into the suplex into the over the top tope by Killshot was as crazy of a spot as they come. Sexy Star getting obliterated by Pentagon Jr. multiple times was tremendous entertainment. Legit thought she was done for on the 3 Up, 3 Down which is my new favorite move name.

Main event was just an angle but holy fuck what an angle. Loved the way they presented it with Mundo just dashing out there as the announcers can barely have time to react. Dario reacting to Alberto getting tossed through the window was fantastic. I echo the person who said they hope the window is boarded up next week. Superb angle and actually has me interested to see how Mundo acts as a heel.

All the skits were tremendous too. Great way to debut the DOA dudes although I could still use some explanation as to this entire Fenix/Mil Muertes/Catrina deal. I have no doubt it's coming though. Ryck's gonna kill Mack... I'm fine with that. The trios champs are always entertaining. Loved Dario trolling them and making a ladder match.

This show is on absolute fire. I remain clueless as to how people can NOT get into it. In some circles they actually refer to Wednesday Night Wars as the battle between LU vs NXT. What battle? NXT is shit and only dreams of being on the level of LU.

NXT is shit and only dreams of being on the level of LU.

I'm an LU fan, but this is a dumb thing to say.

Well "shit" might have been too far. But I do find NXT to be tremendously dull and extremely overhyped on the internet. Their specials that I've seen have been good when it's mainly non-WWE trained indy guys doing their thing but the TV in between is completely useless formulaic wrestling I have no time for. Lately it's been absolute fast forward material.

I would definitely go as far to say no single NXT show in it's existence could touch yesterday's Lucha Underground episode.

How sweet was it when Dario Cueto was nonchalantly picking the splinters of wood from his destroyed window with drink still in hand? Super fucking sweet. Now that's how you gradually lead into a heel turn and ensuing blood feud. Alberto very dickishly big times Mundo every time they interact and then eeks out a victory when they finally have a match which leads to "SPLAT! CRACK! BLADEJOB!"

Dario's relationship with his brother is something I'm enjoying. He's got him locked in a cage and then makes jokes about how someone might get stronger than him with the medallion. Also amazed they've kept that a secret for so long.

I just discovered this show during a mini marathon on El Rey on Weds. This is not only the best wrestling show on American television its the best wrestling show on American Television in the last decade easy. I love the production values on this, Vince McMahon WISHES he was Dario Cueto. That spot where he freshens up his drink with El Patron is bleeding to death in his office window was incredible. I enjoyed the stuff with Dario and Drago. I love Big Ryck and I can't believe I"m saying that. I didn't even realize it was Ezekiel Jackson. The Mack is awesome, the Medallion storyline is boss.