DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Lucha Underground Report 6/3/15

Okay, let's do this again. It's been awhile and after today I need a dose of absurd high-flying and Dario Cueto pulling lecherous faces. 

Chavito is talking about Black Lotus training with "you know who" and Dario is shoving money at him to get rid of her. He asks for "round the clock protection from Mexico" instead... hmmm. I don't know what is going on. We'll see in time. 

Jack Evans vs. Argenis: Jack tells the camera he invented modern lucha libre. What a dick. Argenis' arm is now better since he got the Pentagon Treatment. Dario comes out and calls both guys jabronis and decides to make it interesting by giving the winner one of the Aztec Medallions. Vamp says Jack has a "Shaggy Doo" look haha. Both guys work kinda chippy with each other which is suitable for the  stipulation. Argenis tosses him up and kicks Jack right in the junk at one point, then later pushes him off the turnbuckle in a sudden and mean fashion. He keeps trying his flippy dippy stuff and ends up getting Germaned, etc. Argenis has a neat kinda-sorta choke-bomb (?) off the top too which I've never seen. Jack comes out with a roll-up with super swanky bridge and wins the medallion right after that though. Solid match, a little more grounded than you might expect, and Jack even threw in some BJJ at one point.

Shithead Daivari has Cage beat the crap out of Rodney Mack backstage to compete in the three-way, then Chavito tries to bushwhack Black Lotus and she whoops his and the Crew's asses while suitably goofy and overemphatic music blares, until he knocks her out with handcuffs. That was an interesting little blast of ACTION CINEMA~ out of nowhere. 

Big Ryck/Cage/Daivari vs. Son of Havoc/Angelico/Ivelisse: Ivelisse is still on the crutches. We still have the dumb "bickering partners" stuff going on. Havoc does a bunch of really fruity gymnastic stuff; Angelico pasting people with knees and kicks (despite that yelp he hollers out far too often) is far more fun to watch. Ivelisse decides to sit it out because they won't tag her (why would they?) and she bitches about it. Now I'm finally with Vamp shit-talking her constantly. Angelico gets ragdolled awhile but Texano comes down to distract Daivari and he gets kneed, SSP'ed and pinned. I'm fine with that. Angelico also throws out a great over-the-rail hilo to the other two guys to put the cherry on top. Could have been better, could have been worse. 

Pentagon Jr. vs. Sexy Star: Pentagon is sporting the Perros del Mal shirt and he points to the sky for Perrito which is a nice touch. I mean he is a member but hey, they didn't even give dude an RIP moment in the show so it's good that he did something. Needless to say I want an armbreak in this that I won't get. There is actually some nice rolling with the headlock that Sexy does so I'll give her that. She really wrestles too slow, hesitant, almost winded to make it look as vicious as it should be for somebody getting revenge for her friend's broken arm. The facebuster counter to that gnarly standing leglock was really sloppy and so was the Fujiwara. You almost feel happy when Pentagon blasts her right in the face with a kick. You know who I'm reminded of the more I watch her? A trained Beulah McGilligutty. Haha, Super Fly interferes, bails, and Pentagon wins with la Tapatia. Vamp saves her from the armbreak and for some reason Pentagon doesn't hand him his ass on a platter? Backstage Vamp breaks the mirror in the head with his, uh, head. 

That was just... ah man. Just break Sexy's arm and get her out of here for a couple months. At least let Pentagon paste Vamp before he powders. This came off pretty lame overall for a character that was so hot that all of us wanted him dead not too long ago. C'mon LU, you can do better.

Vamp is a bloated tick to be sure. But as long as they're tempering Pentagon now only to have him bag bigger game in season 2, I guess all will be well. As for going the route of Vamp finding/rediscovering his darker self in these cut scenes involving mirrors and whatnot, I want them to culminate in one where this bloated bloodsucker wakes up in a cold sweat only to roll over and come face-to-face with another Vamp who has (oh no! what the fuck is this?) a dismembered face. Steal from the best after all.  

I'll believe it when I see it.  Frankly I can't imagine a bigger letdown for a guy who had shown himself to be the most popular heel in the company, going from crippling every undercarder on the roster and an act of epic heelishness that stunned even the jaded smarks in the audience to being forced to make Sexy Star look credible in the ring.  Sexy Star is a joke, a position confirmed by her pairing with Mascarita and Pimpenella in the trios tournament (Dario himself said as much) and by the way Big Ryck no-sold everything she did and pinned her with zero effort by just holding her to the mat.  Worse, she isn't even good enough in the ring to have a credible offense against Pentagon, and Pentagon has to make great efforts to protect her from his offense, making their matches look off-kilter compared to the rest of the show.  

This was a huge step down for Pentagon to even be in this position, having just finished putting Sexy Star over cleanly, now winning only through the interference of Super Fly, and just to make sure the audience knows where Pentagon stands, a fat, retired wrestler just ran into the ring and put his hands on Pentagon, and Pentagon did not immediately beat his ass.  

Cero miedo?  Cero huevos.  

He had Sexy where he wanted her. Super Fly just wanted to get his shit in before she died.

Vampiro is the one that ran away from the arena last night, btw. Not Pentagon.

You really gotta pay more attention man.

• Like 1

I also need to put out a point in Vampiro's favor that you guys might not have heard when he talked to Alvarez

He was the agent for Grave Consequences.

You know, the best match in the promotion's history so far

Give the dude some credit

• Like 2

I also need to put out a point in Vampiro's favor that you guys might not have heard when he talked to Alvarez

He was the agent for Grave Consequences.

You know, the best match in the promotion's history so far

Give the dude some credit

I'm only against fat retired agents booking themselves as credible competition in the ring against supposedly credible wrestlers, I'm sure his out of the ring work isn't an issue.  If anything Vampiro is the one who should be working with Sexy Star, he can put her over as much as he wants and let Pentagon continue doing what he was doing.

He had Sexy where he wanted her. Super Fly just wanted to get his shit in before she died.

Vampiro is the one that ran away from the arena last night, btw. Not Pentagon.

You really gotta pay more attention man.

Maaaan I saw what happened, don't play me for a sucker.  They had a staredown for way too long and then Vampiro left.  There's no need for a staredown, Pentagon used to be such a hardass he attacked little female non-wrestling announcers, now he's hesitating to administer justice to a fat ex-wrestler who invaded his ring and dared to shove him like a punk?  Weak, weak, weak.  Vampiro hasn't earned that level of deference.  The heels are always made to look weak on this show just as soon as they build some heat and it's tiresome despite the fact that pretty much everything else on LU is amazing.

• Like 1

He was daring Vampiro to hit him and then Vampiro left.  This was even in Luchablog's recap of the show if you don't want to believe the guy who was there live and saw it with his own two eyes.

The pop for Vampiro came off WAY quieter on TV than it was live, too.  Like that shit was nuts.  We were shouting our loudest over it though.

Man, it sounds like Vamp needs to go Roy Jones Jr. and do a rap song about how y'all must've forgot about how rad he is. Pentagon is going to break him horribly and will come out of that feud much better than the Sexy Star shit, which in truth has been the weakest stuff the show has done.

Vamp nails the reluctant hero act so well. I marked the fuck out for aaaall of that.

1) Vamp is a known liar and bullshitter. He may have suggested a spot to his best friend Mil Muertes and is now taking credit for the match. If he was such a great agent he may have had one decent match in his career.

2) Vamp has a history of "putting people over" in a way where he really puts himself over. He's never helped anyone's career. There is no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt & I'm sorry but "trust me it'll be cool" doesn't work for me.

3) You may think it gets better because maybe Pentagon beats Vampiro to win a feud but you may be a Vampiro fan. To those of us who aren't and just sat through our favorite dude feuding with a charity case, this is a bummer.

He didn't even win the feud with Sexy Star. Super Fly helped him. Lame ending.

I love this show but that doesn't mean I'm gonna put on blinders. They have weak acts & moments. Sexy Star is useless and if not for who she's married to she's long gone. Daivari is another guy I'm not feeling & he appears to be getting a bigger role.

Let's not turn this into a TNA style thread where everything is great, any criticism is dismissed & the world is against what we love.

Also, I've spoken with 3 LU guys. I never asked them about anything to do with Vampiro but the topic of agents came up and his name was never uttered. This was post- filming of casket match.

You're easier to get riled up with my pro Pentagon stuff than people on twitter, goddamn

I dont enjoy sexy star matches but I also don't know who she's married to. still better than Killshot. Who's he married to?

Seriously though, not messing around or being overly pro Pentagon, or overtly posting spoilers, I think everything turns out just fine.

I don't feel like they knew what to really do with Pentagon, started booking him as Chong Li from Bloodsport, and then were like oh fuck we don't have a JCVD to make him say matei...so they're trying to find the way to book him, if that makes sense.

Because they even taped an angle for him that was abandoned and not shown on TV once.

Show was ok. I agree about Pentagon Jr. suddenly not looking as bad-ass in that feud. He can't beat Sexy Star. Needs help from Super Fly. I keep waiting for thecubsfan to put up the broken arm club gif with Sexy Star's face crossed out. :)

The trios match wasn't as good as the Mack-Cage fight backstage. I don't like Daivari and I'm not a fan of Texano Jr. as a tecnico. I do like Jack Evans as a rudo though. Opener was ok. LU has definitely gotten more mileage out of Argenis than I think anyone would have imagined.

I want to hear the 'Dragon Azteca inside man' theory. I really assumed it was Dragon Azteca who snuck in to kidnap Black Lotus and didn't even consider someone else was involved - but then that whole thing was vague. Are you going with Puma (the only guy who's met Dragon Azteca) or someone else?

The trios match wasn't as good as the Mack-Cage fight backstage.

Neither were as good as Black Lotus going all Lotus-fu on Chavo and The Crew, that was surprisingly great.

I don't like Daivari and I'm not a fan of Texano Jr. as a tecnico.

And why the hell is Texano suddenly a face, anyways?  Geez, they've spent like zero effort on building this guy up, isn't he a big star in AAA?

I'm going with Puma, but when Lotus was kidnapped someone put her in a car and took her to Aztec Dragon. I'm pretty sure he even said he had her brought to him when he introduced himself but I'm not 100% sure.

At the very least, at some point it did say someone else did the capturing- may have been in her recap of events in one of her journal entries

I'm waiting on my Pentagon Jr. shirt to arrive. Got it off RedBubble, I couldn't find the official one. Maybe that is the official one. I don't know - either way, I'm excited to own it.

I'm watching Fight To The Death, and I don't know about Fenix, he kinda just blends in with the rest of the lucha guys to me. But Mil.... Mil is fucking money. He's their Undertaker, but dare I say a little better? A little more cool?