DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

I think this post officially makes it 1,000 in this thread!

I don't know who Killshot is married to. I do know that I'm not naive enough to think only Sexy Star gets preferential treatment. It's professional wrestling. A lot of people end up where they are just due to relationships or friendships. If we were just going by talent it's entirely possible Machine Rocker would be in Pentagon Jr.'s role right now & Pentagon Jr. would be the one struggling for TV appearences. But Pentagon Jr. is in a circle Machine Rocker isn't. That's the biz.

My point is just that even though you have to deal with certain people who are only around for "other reasons", you can utilize them in perfectly acceptable ways. Feuding Sexy Star with Pentagon Jr. was a mistake. Casting her in the role she's doing was a mistake which you could have seen from day one. In fact, I may have said it on day one. LOL The idea should be to hide her.

FWIW Sexy Star is married to Johnny Gonzalez who is a somewhat known boxer in Mexico and gives AAA a little extra mainstream credibility + allows certain higher-ups in the promotion to have their faces seen in forums they normally wouldn't be.

Texans (Jr.) is a face now because a bigger heel - Daivari - messed with his shit.

I don't get the hate for Sexy Star. She is what she is. My 5yr old loves her. That's slightly worrying in a promotion that had a man's face eaten off but there you go.

And I don't necessarily buy that Pentagon Jr has been weakened by the feud. He was always more of a sneak attack evil prick heel, anyway, and he can pick that right back up.

One issue I'm having with LU is that they're bordering on having too many guys. There's seemingly weeks at a time where important people vanish. I doubt they're getting 2 hours so you could probably cut out 25% of the storylines.

I don't mind the Sexy Star storyline. Never really been much of a fan of Sexy Star, the performer. The whole thing doesn't bother me as much as some people but it's probably because I accepted months ago that they were going to run with this angle for a long time. I think they (as writers) underestimated how awesome Pentagon Jr can be.

Yeah, I don't see it as a problem as they've done a good job with the rotation for the most part.

I really like the whole positive female role model thing they're running with the Sexy Star/Pentagon angle, but Sexy Star probably isn't the best woman to push for that story.

I really don't like Sexy Star at all.  I get what they're going for, but if you're going to showcase a badass female fighter Ivelisse is right there (though she's in a fantastic spot so no complaints there)  Star also just isn't that good, and I'd be happy if she never is with Pentagon, Jr. again.  If she's in a feud with a lesser guy, then fine.  But I hated the idea of her in that match, and she did nothing to convince me otherwise.  The talk of her being like a Ronda Rousey was especially maddening.  Knowing who she's married to, unfortunately she's not going anywhere and that's a shame.

Other than that, fun show.  Loved the stuff with Black Lotus, the Evans match, and Ivelisse going all "Fuck it" and sitting in the crowd.  I've heard plenty about Vampiro being a scumbag, but in a commentary role he's been tremendous.  Curious to see how things play out in the feud with Pentagon, Jr.  But that mirror bit was tremendous.

man all these dudes that people talk smack about always end up being super cool to me either in person or twitter, so I don't hold much stock in it.  Me and Vampiro had a nice twitter convo about murdering Ke Monito for example, Teddy Hart was super nice in person, and The Hulkster was fucking amazing.  Vampiro is super nice to everyone in the temple, even us dickheads who were cheering for the other guy.

Not saying nothing bad ever happened, I just judge people on how they treat me and my friends

I actually saw that happen before all the thousands of gifs since I caught it on the first run of CMLL on Galavision that showed that match.  I about died laughing

You guys may get to see me dance with Pimpi on national television this week (or more like dance during Pimpi's entrance while standing next to the stairs)

AVOID SEEING THE NAME OF THIS WEEKS EPISODE AT ALL COSTS IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS

All they're officially hyping so far is Pimpi and two partners will be taking on THE DISCIPLES OF DEATH

SKELETON

DUDES

MOTHER

FUCKER

YEAH

• Like 1

AVOID SEEING THE NAME OF THIS WEEKS EPISODE AT ALL COSTS IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS

Next week's too. Though - either someone's screwed up with that one or they've drastically changed the order of the shows.

(Not the first time they've given plot points away with the title or the description, not sure why that's not fixed.)

They announced that Blue Demon Jr. is returning this week, but you guys should still watch it anway

Main event was a really good match

If it looks like I'm sitting with TJ Miller that's just my friend Byron

Dario Cueto is teasing a huge announcement on Twitter.

So you motherfuckers better listen up

Also just announced that the main event is a special contenders match

Cage vs Cuerno vs Babynuts is pictured, but they promise A SURPRISE

Loved the Dario/Mundo skit just for the Vince burial. Scripting for these skits is just top notch.

I don't get how anyone watches that, ending with Johnny putting on the shades, and doesn't come to the Johnny Mundo = Johnny Cage comparison. I know there's a certain LU blog out there that claims (as usual) the info out there is wrong and Mortal Kombat has nothing to do with LU but c'mon. I know the super hardcores can get overly sensitive but nobody is accusing LU of copying Mortal Kombat, just borrowing cool stuff & implementing it in a wrestling environment. To claim there is no merit to that is absolutely ludicrous at this point.

I'm on mad prednisone and can't sleep so this will be long

The only issue is Johnny Cage is way more awesome so that's a slight on Johnny Cage, and Mundo has been great lately. I

The commercial kind of showed this but that iron man is fucking nuts and is the best put together match like that I've ever seen. It's not a work rate match its a two guys doing fucked up shit to each other for forty minutes match.

If you are a real motherfuckin g like myself and watch Bloodsport again you'll notice Pentagon was booked exactly as Chong Li for quite some time but is way cooler than Bolo which is one of the highest compliments I can pay because Bolo Yeung is the shit. Basically what I'm saying is if you watch the same stuff the writers do you'll start to see all the influences. Mortal Kombat stole from so many other great pop culture influences in the first place anyway.

I feel like Matanza is going to end up being this Stop the Matsunaga thing where he gets unleashed to help Dario regain control and then they're like oh fuck how do we stop him, but that might just be because it's exactly how I would book it, but thinking this way usually ends up with me being right about what happens (like the Bael thing was so much like what was in my head it was scary because I knew Bael was disappearing for some reason since I went to the tapings).

It's weird, everyone loves seeing Vince getting punked out but when it's Dario you get this noooooooooooo not the jefe feeling, at least I did anyway.

Shockingly, things with Chavo were kinda boring. EVERY FUCKING THING INVOLVING DRAGO RULED. Every vignette they shot of him looked cool. Ditto Catrina's cleavage. Holy Jesus - can we nominate her breasts as tag team of the year? The fatal four way was non-stop craziness, and I'm looking forward to Mundo-Puma. It's a shame the company does a great job at building stips and then IMMEDIATELY undoes the good at times, but the end result should still be good, so I'm somewhat okay with it.

http://http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/101-mexico/42973-lucha-underground-6-10-15-tv-report-4-way-number-1-contenders-match

Screens -

e1ed2c414974992.jpg

d21233414974996.jpg

c887ee414969050.jpg

7555b5414969073.jpg

f76350414969678.jpg

606df8414969680.jpg

758cd4414969688.jpg

bd5a0f414971013.jpg

b0ab44414971172.jpg

http://http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/eyotykd3mcsttr6r1qg8606p21w9j1vx

Katrina's rack is indeed a thing of beauty. Things of beauty? Either way they clearly shoot her scenes in a way to emphasize what a great rack she has and I have no issue with that at all.

Was Drago dubbed? It was hard to tell. I thought so at first because his back was to the camera when he spoke but then my buddy claimed otherwise saying it was such broken English that it had to be Drago's own voice. I haven't heard the guy speak in ages so it's hard to do a voice comparison. Good on him if he did pick up a little English on his own.

Drago.  Drago.  DRAGO!

Wow, that was so very good.  What a costume change.  I'm not the type to mark out for costumes either, but wow.  It added a whole new level of coolness to his character, and to top it off with the mist was almost too much coolness.  

The three "Disciples of Death" looked lousy in their match.  I really, really don't like Pimpinella in the ring.  I love the antics and the character but he's too old, slow, and creaky to hold his end of a fast-paced match.  It forces everyone to slow down to his level and wait for things to be set up, it kills the flow.  He should be bringing in a new Exotico protege or something and working in more of a character/manager capacity than as an in-ring performer.  

The backstage segments were gold, as always.    Dario may be my favorite non-wrestler character ever.  "So you gave me a black eye, I look great in sunglasses!"  He is the glue of the promotion and makes me look forward to his appearances.

• Like 1