DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Vampiro and Pentagon Jr. But, yes, Fenix has impressed.

If you were to show WWE fans one episode to try to get them hooked on this show, which would it be? The Grave Consequences episode?

Vampiro and Pentagon Jr. But, yes, Fenix has impressed.

If you were to show WWE fans one episode to try to get them hooked on this show, which would it be? The Grave Consequences episode?

While Vampiro is a good point, but everyone expected Pengagon to be awesome. He was hyped up to me very early. Fenix though was just supposed to be a spot guy. He's clearly been more for LU, and has been a key part of many of the companies best matches.

I think I'll get 'em with Grave Consequences and the Angelico dive, both of which are on youtube. We'll watch it after Elimination Chamber.

El Dragon, I agree but IIRC wasn't Pentagon Jr. a fringe character? Then he had those sweet kung fu vignettes and then the arm breaking string. From where he started on the show to being a lurking menace that everybody fears is really awesome.

I think Fenix has had some incredible moments and matches but if you isolate his strengths, a guy like Aero Star would do just as well if not better if given that opportunity.

Edited by Oyaji

I think Dragon Azteca is a local wrestler or just some dude. I'm not really sure. Definitely not an AAA guy. I would guess an actor but they dubbed his voice on an episode and it would seem strange to hire an actor to play a masked role if you are going to dub his voice.

I am not a huge Fenix guy for many reasons but he's been great on this show. It fits what he's best at. Just batshit crazy spots & bumps. He's AMAZING at that stuff. My issues with him as relate to inside the ring are he's such a huge Puro mark he'll occasionally just do weird no-sells or fighting spirit spots that are completely dumb and nobody in (insert random city in Mexico)'s crowd understands what the fuck he is doing. It's like he wrestles for himself instead of the crowd. But as I said, he's been great in LU, possibly because he's been told exactly what to do unlike Mexico where he has creative freedom on most shows.

I think I'll get 'em with Grave Consequences and the Angelico dive, both of which are on youtube. We'll watch it after Elimination Chamber.

El Dragon, I agree but IIRC wasn't Pentagon Jr. a fringe character? Then he had those sweet kung fu vignettes and then the arm breaking string. From where he started on the show to being a lurking menace that everybody fears is really awesome.

I think Fenix has had some incredible moments and matches but if you isolate his strengths, a guy like Aero Star would do just as well if not better if given that opportunity.

The Aztec Warfare show seems like forever ago but it's something they could get into. Also, Mundo putting Alberto through the window.

Damn, we took forever to get through EC and I only got to show off the two Angelico dives but that seemed to win them over. Next time will be Grave Consequences and then some of the other great shit like Aztec Warfare and the three-way ladder match.

Had some friends over for EC, and they hung around afterwards while I showed them some LU, of the seven friends that came over, two of them had been following it, but others in the room were virgin eyes. Showed them the Aerostar-Jack Evans match (a few of them were WSX fans so a Jack Evans match was a good entry point for them), the trios ladder match which all of them loved even before the big Angelico spot, and then this week's full episode which I hadn't watched yet. All of them ended up pretty blown away by the fact that both the wrestling itself and the production had a different feel, and many of them wishing some of the WWE production looked like this, at least for the backstage/Dario's office spots.

A couple WCW fans in the room lamented at how old and broken down both Vampiro and Konnan looked, but at least appreciated that they are booked on the sidelines and not as old-man ass-kickers despite them looking in mostly terrible shape, especially Konnan.

Mil Muertes was definitely seen as an Undertaker analog character, and I am now unable to see Catrina/Maxine without the phrase "sexy Paul Bearer" running through my head thanks to one of my friends using that phrase to describe her.

Overall, this definitely seems like a show that really could build a bigger following if enough people currently watching force their friends to "stay and watch THIS!" on a night of WWE viewing.

• Like 5

That's pretty neat. I've always been of the opinion that all the show needs is more exposure and it will really take off. Good to see case studies like this, granted on a smaller level.

I can resign myself to understanding why something like PWG will always be a great product but is at its' ceiling in terms of how far it can grow and who it can appeal to. But with something like LU it seems blatantly obvious to me it can appeal to even casual wrestling fans if they just had the chance to see it without going to YouTube or tracking an illegal download down.

• Like 1

I got 8 or 9 new people who got five other new people watching, and about a third of those guys weren't even wrestling fans at first.

Grave Consequences works.

Had two guys go from non wrestling fans to making signs for Pentagon Jr.

Had some friends over for EC, and they hung around afterwards while I showed them some LU, of the seven friends that came over, two of them had been following it, but others in the room were virgin eyes. Showed them the Aerostar-Jack Evans match (a few of them were WSX fans so a Jack Evans match was a good entry point for them), the trios ladder match which all of them loved even before the big Angelico spot, and then this week's full episode which I hadn't watched yet. All of them ended up pretty blown away by the fact that both the wrestling itself and the production had a different feel, and many of them wishing some of the WWE production looked like this, at least for the backstage/Dario's office spots.

WWE doesn't really have the luxury of editing their stuff to air a couple months later. I imagine a lot of how things are filmed in WWE has to do with some combo of "Looks best/Easiest to transport".

So tonight we have-

Jack Evans vs Argenis

A Trios titles defense against a team with Big Ryck on it

Sexy Star vs the great Pentagon Jr in a submission match

All three matches really kicked ass live, looking forward to seeing them on TV.

I gotta go with Naimark here. That main event was a letdown. I gave them the benefit of the doubt thinking Pentagon would kill her this time but that match went on forever and she was awful while everything he did should have legit killed her. Then he had to be helped by Super Fly which was silly & now he's stuck with Vamp. This show needs a 2nd season if only to get Pentagon some real opponents.

Opener was okay (not great), Black Lotus stuff I loved, the rest was forgettable. Not a blowaway show.

On a sidenote - I know you all think I'm crazy for mentioning Mortal Kombat over and over but never more than tonight's episode was it more clear they are taking stories from there and just doing minor twists. It's amazing. I'm pretty sure I know exactly where the Dario/Lotus/Azteca story is going and which current charachters are going to play big roles in the reveal. It's going to rule.