DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

Huh. They amped up the "Captain America is wrong" aspect from the comic to the point where even *I* started pulling for Tony by the end of the trailer.

A 2 on 1 handicap match is never the hallmark of babyfaces.

To be fair Tony could hang with Thor and fucked up Hulk's shit. They need to fight together to make it slightly more even.

PS: I'm hyped.

A 2 on 1 handicap match is never the hallmark of babyfaces.

But it was the most badass part of the whole trailer by a Cyclopean margin, so I've got no problem with it whatsoever. Besides, Bucky's basically just an ordinary human with no superpowers besides his prosthetic arm.

No, he's not. Hydra were experimenting on him to try and make him into another Cap/ Red Skull level guy... so he's a semi-Super Soldier, like Emile Blonsky was before he got Hulkified. If he was a normal human with a metal arm, why was he able to go toe to toe with Cap and do well in Cap 2? They already established in that film that a peak-training human (Batroc) couldn't do that.

Not sure what to think about that.  Some cool visuals and I can see Cap and Tony being at odds but this universe's version of Stark does not strike me as a pro-government guy and neither does Black Widow.

Stark and his father have made their family fortune making weapons for the US Armed Forces and have been all "democracy in our time" since the beginning.  They are about as pro-government as you can get. 

Stark strikes me as definitely being pro-registration as:

1. In AoO, he anticipates the Hulk going rogue and built the Hulkbuster armor as a countermeasure, so he at least has it in his head that society needs protection from all supers whether they be "heroes" or "villains."

2. Building Ultron was all about Tony retiring from the super hero business because he doesn't want the responsibility of being a super hero anymore.  Registration is the next best thing to Ultron and it will be just as disastrous.

This is the comic book version of the old Jeffersonian debate about security vs. liberty.

I don't perceive Widow as being particularly pro-government given her manipulation by the KBG, but I do see her striking a pro-registration pose / Batman-esque stance vs. supers since she has no powers herself, knows the dangers posed by supers, and wanting to be as prepared as possible for a super gone batshit.

Not sure what to think about that.  Some cool visuals and I can see Cap and Tony being at odds but this universe's version of Stark does not strike me as a pro-government guy and neither does Black Widow.

Stark and his father have made their family fortune making weapons for the US Armed Forces and have been all "democracy in our time" since the beginning.  They are about as pro-government as you can get. 

Stark strikes me as definitely being pro-registration as:

1. In AoO, he anticipates the Hulk going rogue and built the Hulkbuster armor as a countermeasure, so he at least has it in his head that society needs protection from all supers whether they be "heroes" or "villains."

2. Building Ultron was all about Tony retiring from the super hero business because he doesn't want the responsibility of being a super hero anymore.  Registration is the next best thing to Ultron and it will be just as disastrous.

This is the comic book version of the old Jeffersonian debate about security vs. liberty.

I don't perceive Widow as being particularly pro-government given her manipulation by the KBG, but I do see her striking a pro-registration pose / Batman-esque stance vs. supers since she has no powers herself, knows the dangers posed by supers, and wanting to be as prepared as possible for a super gone batshit.

Yet in Winter Soldier she practically dared the government to come after them, basically saying they wouldn't because the government is going to need them when the shit hits the fan.

If she's not a mole then it makes no sense for her to be anti-Cap right now. I can believe Stark being pro-government to an extent given what JT has said but I really don't think they've set that up well and it was his fault that all of this is happening.

Yet in the end of Age of Ultron he's all like "so fuckin what, here's me in my badass car, come do something about it".  How does he go from that no fucks attitude to being concerned?

• Like 1

Civil War was unavoidable.  Despite it not being a good story, it's a big modern crossover that has a lot of notoriety.  It's an easy concept to market for this group of characters.  Plus Marvel props it up as one of their bigger hit crossovers ever, so from that standpoint it makes sense to make a movie out of it.

• Like 1

Civil War was unavoidable.  Despite it not being a good story, it's a big modern crossover that has a lot of notoriety.  It's an easy concept to market for this group of characters.  Plus Marvel props it up as one of their bigger hit crossovers ever, so from that standpoint it makes sense to make a movie out of it.

You aren't wrong, and the movie might very well end up being really good.

But it feels so poorly built too, both in terms of motivations, and with Cap and Tony's relationship. They've spent half their screen time together at each other's throats. This isn't a well established great friendship breaking down.

They really should have done Serpent Society.

• Like 3

I want three things from this movie, and I expect to get one.  In descending order of likelihood:

3) Zemo accidentally gluing a balaclava to his face.

Those honey pastry things? They're pretty sticky, but I don't think they'd adhere to the face.

• Like 1

I want three things from this movie, and I expect to get one.  In descending order of likelihood:

Those honey pastry things? They're pretty sticky, but I don't think they'd adhere to the face.

?

It's a type of mask.

• Like 1

Civil War was unavoidable. Despite it not being a good story, it's a big modern crossover that has a lot of notoriety. It's an easy concept to market for this group of characters. Plus Marvel props it up as one of their bigger hit crossovers ever, so from that standpoint it makes sense to make a movie out of it.

You aren't wrong, and the movie might very well end up being really good.

But it feels so poorly built too, both in terms of motivations, and with Cap and Tony's relationship. They've spent half their screen time together at each other's throats. This isn't a well established great friendship breaking down.

This.

I want three things from this movie, and I expect to get one. In descending order of likelihood:

1) Black Panther utterly disassembling multiple people on Team Cap

2) Ant-Arrow

hawkeye-y-ant-man-criticsight.gif

New Captain America: Civil War synopsis:

Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War finds Steve Rogers leading the newly formed team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. But after another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two camps—one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability. Get ready to pick a side and join the nonstop action playing out on two fronts when Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War opens in U.S. theaters on May.

Even Marvel are surprised by Tony Stark's decision ; ).

As the tagline for Civil War said...Whose side are you on?