DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

Man, I guess I was half asleep when I watched the trailer, I didn't catch Black Panther in it at all.

I have some bad news for Cliff - Zemo doesn't even wear a mask in the movie. When I read that, I knew that Civil War might have lost its way a little bit.

They're showing Team Cap in the trailer as Cap, Bucky, Falcon, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch (no Ant-Man). But Team Tony, we've only seen Iron Man & War Machine (we've seen Black Panther fighting team Cap, but teaming with Tony). So... all the shots in the trailer are from the first half of the film, aren't they? Stark only recruits the rest of his lads when he realises he can't beat Cap & friends alone.

Man, I guess I was half asleep when I watched the trailer, I didn't catch Black Panther in it at all.

I have some bad news for Cliff - Zemo doesn't even wear a mask in the movie. When I read that, I knew that Civil War might have lost its way a little bit.

Still time for a post credits sequence.

And he did a remarkably turrrrrible job of conveying that to the reader in his writing. Of course, Millar fucking hates superheroes at fundamental conceptual level, so that's no surprise.

Except Superman. For whatever reason, he gets Superman and heroism just fine when writing Clark.

Only the phrasing makes it sound that way. They describe Tony's goal as "oversight and accountability", when it could just as easily be called "fascism and tyranny".

That'd be easier to buy if Avengers and SHIELD without accountability didn't almost destroy the world twice and cause the Inhuman outbreak, but hey, gotta fight the tyranny of the World being sick of their shit.

SHIELD did have accountability, they had the world's best spy running the whole thing and he also had to report to Senator Sundance (who turned out to be Hydra, but oh well, it's the thought that counts). And without the Avengers doing what they do, Loki would currently be dictator of the entire planet.

It still doesn't make much sense for MCU Tony to be pro-government-control, either. Remember the opening scene of Iron Man 2, where he gleefully told a Congressional committee to suck his dick and utterly refused to give them the tiniest scrap of control over his technology? In every one of his movies, the villain turns out to be someone in the military-industrial complex who is ultimately working for the federal government. And he's seen oversight-from-above almost destroy the world in two other cases, with Ultron and those SHIELD drone-carriers in Winter Soldier.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Civil War would've been much better if Steve and Tony had switched parts. Steve's a soldier, having spent his whole adult life taking commands and being on the side of traditional order. (Aside from the Nomad years; but nevermind that, every long-running character has some really weird shit in their continuity.) Meanwhile, Tony's always been the private capitalist who steadfastly refused to allow the government to have control over his weapons and technology. The old-fashioned, straightlaced Captain America should've been the one who was so uneasy with untrained, unregistered superhumans running around doing whatever; the jet-setting drunken playboy Iron Man shouldn't have even given a shit about it. The story would've been better with Cap leading the government forces (and growing increasingly uncomfortable with the increasingly fascist methods used by people like Osborn) while a desperate Tony is cut off from his company and his resources but still has to lead the rag-tag resistance. That also would've helped paper over the plot hole of just why so many heroes would go along with such a transparently bad policy as the registration act, if Captain America was the face of the program; he's the most trustworthy guy in the entire 616 and would sell the whole idea to many more people than the aloof Iron Man ever could. And even the original ending would work better with the role switch, with a shell-shocked Cap basically going "my god, what have I done?" and calling the same ceasefire that he did in the actual comics.

• Like 1

Since his greatest fuck up nearly Stone Aged the World, he figures someone actually should tell all them when to fuck off.

Turn this into another instance of Tony trying to put a suit of armor around the world and he's easily the bad guy.

As for Cap, I'm sure he had his fill of the government overstepping its bounds back in Winter Soldier. 

This isn't as difficult as people are making it out to be.

Now whether they deliver in the film is a different story. 

I didn't know where to post this but I think this thread is as good as any.  What is the contractual status of all of these actors/actresses?  I assume they are signed on through the Infinity movies but what about after that?  Is Iron Man truly done as a solo series?  Will they reboot the universe?

Well Marvel announced in 2013 that Downey was signed on for Avengers 2 and 3.  Conceivably, Civil War is an extra film that Disney and Marvel had to pony up for.  Supposedly, Ike Perlmutter wasn't keen on beefing up Downey's role in the film.  It was going to be more limited, but Feige and Downey wanted him to have a bigger part which meant more money.  So apparently this was one of the major tiffs that led to the separation between Feige and Marvel Film and Perlmutter.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/20786/robert_downey_jr_to_return_as_marvels_iron_man

But you know that article just mentions him doing Avengers 2 and 3.  And now it's really Avengers 3 and 4.  So who knows what that means for Downey's contract and if he will still appear in both Infinity War films.  

I think Feige said all the actors are set through phase 3 I suppose.  I imagine after that they could recast where need be or whatever.  Keep in mind, they've already had to recast War Machine and The Hulk.