DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2014 - WEEK FIVE

RIPPA

I should mention that I'm well aware that my team (the Lions, for those who don't know) hasn't exactly been innocent of having jackasses.  

If anything, all the stories coming out this season, plus the Patriots having a multiple murderer on their team, should teach us that every team has "jackasses" and every team will tolerate them as much as they are allowed to.  Your own favorite team still employs a man who clearly has anger problems and pretty much tried to kill a few dudes on the field.  I'm betting the Ravens have had the same number of shitty people on their teams over the years as any other team has.  What I don't get is how so many other teams get a pass and we just say, "oh, he's a bad apple," while Baltimore gets a rep as a dirty club where this behavior is allowed with open arms.  Nobody called out Pittsburgh as a dirty organization when Roethlisburger raped a girl in a bathroom while one of his lineman guarded the door.  Why is that?

Pittsburgh got a ton of crap back when that happened.  

Of course, but they're not seen as a "dirty organization."  When Mike Tomlin tried to trip Jacoby Jones from the sidelines, nobody said, "yup, typical Pittsburgh."

The point I'm making is that I'm guessing (but don't care enough to research stats to win a dumb internet argument) every team has roughly the same amount of bad apples as Baltimore has had over the past decade plus, but only Baltimore is painted as some mythical evil organization that gleefully welcomes criminals and scumbags.  It's pretty lame.  I think it comes from two places: hatred of Ray Lewis (completely legit; the guy is a grade A douchebag who no doubt did something horrible that night) and a little jealousy of how well the team has done since its inception.  But in all, I think the Ray Lewis thing happening so early in the team's existence did a lot to paint the team in that light.

Of course, but they're not seen as a "dirty organization."  When Mike Tomlin tried to trip Jacoby Jones from the sidelines, nobody said, "yup, typical Pittsburgh."

FWIW, *I* did.

• Like 1

From living in MD but not being a Ravens fan, it feels like the team and their fans embraced the "bad boys" label, staring with Ray and going forward. Playing a physicla/violent style helped foster that I think.

Some also may not like them because of Modell/"stealing the Browns" aspect.

Said as a teenager who was scarred by the Mayflower moving vans & Bob Irsay

• Like 2

The Packers fan in me is sad we're not going to play Teddy, who looks to be an exciting talent.

The Vikings hater in me is gleeful at the prospect of beating up Ponder for 4 quarters. Do we know anything about Chandler Harnish, the 4th string QB? His name sounds like a headline, "hedge fund executive Chandler Harnish accused of rape."

• Like 2

I expect my Packers to kill the Vikings tonight but 3 things worry me about tonight's game. 1. The Rain Rodgers has said Rain is the element he most hates to play in. 2. We can't stop the run so the Vikings will probably run for something like 150 yards against us tonight. 3. Ponder did beat my Packers several years ago in the last week of the season to get them in the playoffs.  

I can't help but think New England wouldn't be having nearly so many issues of they had ever cashed in all those stockpiled draft picks instead of trading down ever single year.

But that o-line is just dreadful.

Losing Dante Scarnecchia won't have helped that line either.

I can't help but feeling that when this time is looked back on, the last 3rd of Brady's career will have been wasted by BB trying to be too cute.  Older Brady can't do it all with no line and no receivers.

Too bad Belichick the coach can't fire Belichick the GM

• Like 1

The Vikings will spend the next two hours most likely answering that question. 

Christian Ponder is the dinkingest, dunkingest quarterback who ever dinked and dunked. And I watched Chad Henne for three years.

Point taken about Ponder being an All-Pro at life but it is nice to know in a year filled with a dizzying amount of inconsistency and parity that no matter how confusing or unpredictable the NFL season might be, we can always take comfort in the enduring truth that Christian Ponder absolutely sucks.

He's the football version of The Constant. Which is appropriate considering the Vikes history with boats.