DVDVR Message Board

Halloween Havoc pre-thread

Brian Fowler

Quick recap of the rules:

People say they want to play.  Then you pick a movie, you send me a private message telling me what movie, and a short explanation of why you picked it.  A few sentences is all we need, not a review.

Then I take all the names of people who sent a movie, and all the movie titles, run a quick randomizer on them, and use that to assign people movies.  You get assigned a movie, you watch the movie, you write a review of the movie, you send me that review via private message, and I roll out the reviews in a hopefully decently structured manner.

A few rules:

1.) Movies are horror films.  This is a broad description, and that's fine, but nothing "oh man, Speed 2 was so bad it's scary."

2.) Remember someone else has to watch what you pick, try not to be a dick.  That goes both for picking movies that are overwhelmingly disgusting and for movies that completely awful and inept.  But, you know, it's your own judgment.

3.) Try to pick things that are reasonably available.  On dvd, streaming on netflix, available on amazon instant, etc.  "Had a dvd release in 2003 that was limited to 666 copies, which now sell for 350 bucks on ebay, and has never went back to print" is preferable to avoid.

4.) No real life animal torture/killing.  "The Cannibal Holocaust" rule.  I am not making any judgment on killing or hurting animals in art.  I have no desire to debate killing animals in art.  And I DAMN sure have no desire to see this game devolve into that debate.  Just don't do it.

So...  Lets find some fucking gore!

I'm still trying to decide what to pick.  Do I go with an easy old favorite that most people have seen, like Evil Dead 2, on the off chance that the recipient might not have experienced it and I'd be introducing something AWESOME to new eyes?  Or do I go with something more obscure that most folks haven't watched, like Don't Torture a Duckling, and just hope that they can somehow find a copy of it?  OR do I go with something recent which I think most people unfairly dismissed and completely misunderstood and vastly underrated, like Texas Chainsaw 3D?  Or do I give in to my basest instincts and turn total troll and force some poor bastard to watch an Uwe Boll movie?  OR do I do none of the above and just say "fuck it, there's no reason that we shouldn't rewatch and discuss Night of the Living Dead for the millionth time, just because it's that fucking brilliant"?  So many tempting choices...

I would like to note - realizing of course that this is done thru the magic of randomization - that I am in the process of moving and won't be able to get Netflix anytime $oon, so I'm just hoping that I get assigned something I can order a hard copy of thru Amazon.