DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

Ugh, this sucks. The Heyward trade is a damned steal for the Cards, and while I wasn't crazy on the Martin idea a month ago, I thought he was the only free agent worth position player worth getting excited for this year. I don't think we can compete with the Cards this year without a major something very surprising happening.

Would be kinda surprised if we don't pull the trigger in Montero now. I really don't want Castillo as starting C going into the year.

Sad to see Russ go but $82 million is just way out of the Pirates price range. The only silver lining here is at least he didn't go to the Cubs.

Not that anybody is overtaking St. Louis any time soon. I just don't understand what possesses these GMs to continually give the Cardinals good players for basically nothing. I'm starting to believe there's something to Piranesi's Evil Empire gifs because they have to be practicing some sort of Jedi Mind Tricks.

Sad to see Russ go but $82 million is just way out of the Pirates price range. The only silver lining here is at least he didn't go to the Cubs.

That should be the silver lining for Cubs fans.

There is no silver lining with a contract that stupid.

Guys, the Jays are owned by Rogers, and are one of, if not the richest ownership groups in MLB. Money isn't a huge issuen especially since there's no hard cap. Plus, he's 31, not 34 or 35. And he can always DH. Martin did a great job with the Bucs rotation...he's gonna be great for the Jays' young arms. I like the deal.

The Cardinals are more like Ogre.

Ogre made his babyface turn eventually.  Booger was a nerd, but he was also unrepentant sleaze who just kept belching his way to glory.  Booger was to "nerd" what the Cardinals are to "small market."  But I'll still blindly root for and defend them to the end.

Guys, the Jays are owned by Rogers, and are one of, if not the richest ownership groups in MLB. Money isn't a huge issuen especially since there's no hard cap. Plus, he's 31, not 34 or 35. And he can always DH. Martin did a great job with the Bucs rotation...he's gonna be great for the Jays' young arms. I like the deal.

And like the local commentators were saying this move is about culture change in Toronto.  There does seem to be a sense that a lot of guys or as many as they can move will be moving out of Toronto.  If anything Greg Zaun is happy.

I've long thought Lester would go back to the Red Sox, but also believed the Cubs had a better chance than any other team of bringing him on board. When you look back to those interviews with Lester though, where he's talking about money isn't the most important thing and he'd take less than another team was offering to keep his family in tact, it sounds like his heart was always set on going back to Boston.

If that's what happens, I think it's awfully sweet. It's something you don't see often. That said, ask Ryan Dempster about keeping your family in tact and then go and sign with the Cubs. There are no guarantees.

Fuck...That's grimdark as hell.

I had him pegged for something like 2/6, which would have been reasonable. Tacking on a third year and going to 5MM AAV for a guy who has had one good relief season is one hell of a gamble. Now, it's not as terrible as the Boone Logan contract last winter, but that doesn't mean it's somehow a good contract.

Yet per Buster Olney he's meeting with the Braves on Thursday

And Martin's deal is confirmed by the Jays - and boy is the deal backloaded -  $7M, $15M, $20M, $20M, $20M

If you wanna see backloaded - look at how Stanton's deal is structured.

The Marlins clearly are praying he opts out ($107 million pre-opt out seasons, $218 post opt-out)