DVDVR Message Board

NXT Take over

DJ Hero Morganti

I suspected that Charlotte would retain from the beginning of this feud. But damnit if Bayley didn't end up making me root for her and hope she would take it with all of the work she's been doing. I have to agree that she is a great baby face. And Charlotte continues to improve. I agree that she just looks like a star.

However, take out Zayn's performance and you've got yourself a pretty ho-hum match honestly.

Boy would that be something. How would you explain all those guys eating moves in the final stretch with no Sami Zayn to perform them?

• Like 6

However, take out Zayn's performance and you've got yourself a pretty ho-hum match honestly.

Boy would that be something. How would you explain all those guys eating moves in the final stretch with no Sami Zayn to perform them?

Not.....quite....what I was getting at lol. 

Loved seeing the Ascension lose the titles, but the rest of the first hour was a bunch of nothing outside of KENTA's fantastic debut. I like how WWE did this - he came out as KENTA, was hyped beforehand as KENTA, so they're bringing up his history, but giving him a new name. Hideo Itami is a pretty good name, although I think it will be shortened to ITAMI soon enough. That would be just about perfect for a comprimise, since you'd get the KENTA styling, but with a name WWE owns. I loved his theme, tron, promo, and the fire he showed was crazy. I wonder who teams with him against the Ascension as they teased Regal, but he just became GM. Hour two ruled though, with Bayley-Charlotte having me on the edge of my seat since I so wanted Bayley to win. She got a new theme, sweet new entrance gear and STILL LOST! The main event started off rocky, but became something special. Sami was just SO CRUSHED by what happened. Neville's his best friend and Neville took him out on the floor after preventing him from winning, and then basically stole the win. Character-wise, Neville gained something by being a bit heelish, whlie Sami could fully turn heel and it would be completely justified because of how he was wronged.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/09/nxt-9-11-14-takeover-fatal-4-way.html

Screens -

57e801350719690.jpg

af1354350720231.jpg

1b00c1350720518.jpg

b0705a350722445.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/5rfagkqzu60grtvllefvtqmb40kc6ric

Bayley won me over big style. I knew nothing about her, and by the end her pluckiness and emoting had me rooting for her. Wasn't expecting much of Charlotte Flair, actually I thought she'd be 2nd generation superstar Harry Smith/Curtis Axel/etc level but she brought some top ring work. The moonsault looked shit though.

Not a fan of Enzo and his buddy. Didn't get their stuff at all. Love me some Legionnaires.

Lucha Dragons kick ass, Ascension do not. Bull Dempsey rules the NXT universe.

The main event didn't do much for me, not a fan of the indy spotfest style but it was fun for what it was. I can't believe this is the same Tyson Kidd though.

I've never watched a KENTA match in my life but this Itami has a new fan.

Star of the show: William Regal.

N.B. This commentary team sucks! Does Renee no favours, like her in the journalist/interviewer role

A couple of thoughts...

1) they should not be broadcasting nxt on the network nor advertising it as a special event. It has nothing to do with match quality, but rather you are overexposing future stars, taking away the surprise of their arrival, and allowing fans to see them developing. Latest example, the Ascension...loses title to a former WWE jobber and 5'6 luchador, beat up by one guy on the way out the door, yet you expect them to be built as credible challengers on the big show. Does them no favors.

2) I'm sorry, but outside of Zayn and Charlotte, I didn't see one future star here. Maybe Steen (doubtful) and Devitt (probable) are the answers, but after raiding the indies and buying their stars in a Steinbrenner way, what are they developing? If you take away the legacy guys with years of training from their family, and the Indy stars, where are the John Cena/Brock Lesnar/Kurt Angle types that they build from scratch? This is starting to look shaky.

A couple of thoughts...

1) they should not be broadcasting nxt on the network nor advertising it as a special event. It has nothing to do with match quality, but rather you are overexposing future stars, taking away the surprise of their arrival, and allowing fans to see them developing. Latest example, the Ascension...loses title to a former WWE jobber and 5'6 luchador, beat up by one guy on the way out the door, yet you expect them to be built as credible challengers on the big show. Does them no favors.

Well, I disagree with the premise here because it's entertaining. I do you think you're on to something with the Ascencion example. If NXT is truly a developmental program, they could probably stand to re-think the old "put somebody over on your way out" philosophy. Basically only the best from NXT should get to move up, so there should probably be more Paige situations and less Ascension situations. It might be beneficial to designate one or two times a year when kayfabe WWE officials are going to promote a certain number of NXT wrestlers. It would give the overall product a lot of focus and make every match mean something, even outside of the big angles.

Rather than bother folks with multiquotes...

- as explained by wwe, the premise of developmental was to find the best athletes from other sports (they specifically mentioned football) and teach them the "wwe way". They haven't been successful with this, and the hits they had (punk, bryan, cesaro, ambrose) have come from the indies. Perhaps they need JR to come back and show HHH how to do it.

- oh I'm 100% correct about not treating it as a third brand. It eliminates the coolness of a debut, seeing a new guy and his finisher (imagine seeing PAC's shit for the first time), and will lead to more Adam Rose's. It's another hour of tv for an already overly saturated product that creative isn't capable of booking for. OVW's obscurity allowed them to try out shitty gimmicks and see what sticks without lasting effects...pseudo smarts chanting "husky harris" at bray wyatt kind of shit.

- as explained by wwe, the premise of developmental was to find the best athletes from other sports (they specifically mentioned football) and teach them the "wwe way". They haven't been successful with this, and the hits they had (punk, bryan, cesaro, ambrose) have come from the indies. Perhaps they need JR to come back and show HHH how to do it.

You realize most of NXT's roster came off the Indies and those "hits" all spent extensive time in OVW/FCW/NXT.

The main event didn't do much for me, not a fan of the indy spotfest style but it was fun for what it was. I can't believe this is the same Tyson Kidd though.

I've never watched a KENTA match in my life

Wow.

WWE always drew well in Louisville.

Also the standard main roster booking is way, way, way more destructive to wrestlers than anything NXT does.

It's an interesting thought though. What if OVW had been available on some nationwide outlet in the early 2000s?

It would have exposed it as a fairly mediocre product.

The Performance Centre was only opened 15 months ago.

No idea what JR could or would do.

Triple H did a great job of explaining the rationale behind the performance center on Jericho's podcast.

Basically, he said that if you are an athlete who is used to the sort of training facility that a Division I school or NFL team has, you'd go to your average wrestling school or whatever and be turned off immediately by the substandard facilities. The Performance Center is a state of the art place designed to attract those sorts of athletes.

I read somewhere that Shawne Merriman is working out there now. They are probably keeping him away from TV for a while to get him ready.

Triple H did a great job of explaining the rationale behind the performance center on Jericho's podcast.

Basically, he said that if you are an athlete who is used to the sort of training facility that a Division I school or NFL team has, you'd go to your average wrestling school or whatever and be turned off immediately by the substandard facilities. The Performance Center is a state of the art place designed to attract those sorts of athletes.

I read somewhere that Shawne Merriman is working out there now. They are probably keeping him away from TV for a while to get him ready.

Ok, so where are the elite athletes that it would attract? Merriman is already gone and was falling apart from roids and beating up tila tequila long before this. JR did a better job of attracting this talent with far less budget and hoopla.

• Like 1

I've never watched a KENTA match in my life

Wow.

Yes, is there a problem with that?

Enjoyed the Women's match, and while Enzo is funny...the payoff to the Hair Match was utter bullshit.

Four-way was solid: I'm not a fan of that type of match but that quartet busted their asses. I worked a a show or two with Breeze when he was fresh out of Storm's school and I'd never have guessed this quiet, mild-mannered kid would be such an amazing douchebag. Kudos to him.

In response to comments earlier, I highly doubt they expect Sami to be a heel against Neville, as Neville had fairly heelish comments in the post-show interviews. I had a houseful of wrestlers on Friday and we were discussing what to do with Sami if/when he gets called up, though: "plucky babyface that always loses but has a lot of heart" doesn't last long as a gimmick on the big roster.

Yes, is there a problem with that?

There is actually. One of the absolute best Wrestlers of the last decade.

JR did a better job of attracting this talent with far less budget and hoopla.

You are being rather silly here. Wrestling was hotter when JR was in charge and the UFC has sucked away a lot of prospects too.

But let's gave JR all the credit for everything. Let's also ignore that Jim was a recruiter for FCW/NXT too. However Gerald Briscoe outshone him.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why you give a shit where the guys are coming from. Who cares what kind of money went into the performance center. They've already made that back from Shield t-shirts. Whether they are "athletes" or dudes from ROH, CZW and Japan, all that matters is whether the roster is deeper in talent than it was before. And it is.

OVW's obscurity allowed them to try out shitty gimmicks and see what sticks without lasting effects...pseudo smarts chanting "husky harris" at bray wyatt kind of shit.

The Husky Harris gimmick was given to him at  a time when NXT was 80% obstacle courses and kissing contests. The only reason anyone who watches RAW remembers the gimmick is that he wrestled under it ON RAW for four months before going back to the modern version of NXT, coming up with Bray Wyatt and tweaking that gimmick for another year. How the fuck are the Husky Harris chants modern NXT's fault?