DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I read Batman #18, the monthly UK magazine. Batman #18 collects Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) #13, Batman #23, Batman and Catwoman #22, Nightwing #19 and a short story from Batman #22. In Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) #13, it’s the final showdown between Batman and Talia al Ghul. I looked forward to reading this issue the most because this ended Grant Morrison’s long Batman run of seven years. Grant Morrison’s time on Batman has supporters and detractors. I’m in the former camp, for me it’s a great run and it ended on a great issue.

Batman #23 deals with the aftermath of the attack by the Red Hood Gang on Bruce Wayne. A good issue but my least favourite of the three Zero Year issues so far. The story from Batman and Catwoman #22 is called despair, the fourth of fifth stages dealing with Bruce Wayne’s reaction to Damian Wayne’s murder. Like the previous issue in the arc, it doesn’t deal with the name of the story like it does in #19-20 but it was a very good story. Nightwing #19 sees Dick Grayson relocate to Chicago for a fresh start. I was surprised to find the book printed a Nightwing story from The New 52. This was the first Nightwing issue I’ve read from The New 52. I liked it. The short story from Batman #23 sees Bruce Wayne in a death-trap test. This was a decent tale adding to the story of Zero Year.

Fables ending at issue 150.While not bad, it really was never the same after issue 75 and defeating the Adversary.

Aw, man, I was kind of expecting the series to go on forever.

So Fables #150 will probably be the last book I will buy published by DC Comics.

I hate to read this, but I can definitely understand Willingham wanting to take a break.  He's said that he's open to revisiting the characters eventually, so hopefully we'll at least get some more novels like Peter & Max.

Fables ending at issue 150.While not bad, it really was never the same after issue 75 and defeating the Adversary.

Aw, man, I was kind of expecting the series to go on forever.

So Fables #150 will probably be the last book I will buy published by DC Comics.

Same here. Fables is the only DC book I still get.

I hated to hear that news this morning.  Cardy was an incredible artist, and some of his Teen Titans covers are still among my favorites of that time.  His techniques were just incredible, especially considering the cruder printing techniques then.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get the Geoff Johns' hate myself.  I'm not a fan of the Nu-52 or the other sales stunts, but I doubt that's entirely (or even largely) Johns' doing.  I assume he does have input, but still....

As a writer, he's still one of my favorites. As far as mainstream comics go, he's probably the guy I most consistently enjoy. 

I think Johns peaked with Sinestro Corps War.  I like some of his stuff since then but most of it since then has left going "ok I'm ready for something else". I loved his original Flash run to pieces but really hated the reaunch with Barry. None of his Nu-52 has made me excited.

But that's just me, I know plenty of people that like his stuff since the relaunch

James

I don't get the Geoff Johns' hate myself.  I'm not a fan of the Nu-52 or the other sales stunts, but I doubt that's entirely (or even largely) Johns' doing.  I assume he does have input, but still....

Johns is co-VP of creative for DC, his input is vast.

Johns is co-VP of creative for DC, his input is vast.

Except its pretty well known that the reboot was entirely Didio's baby and killed a lot of Geoff's work and plans.

Re: this stuff.

Rich said some stuff recently. Take it with a grain of salt.

The big meeting happened yesterday. Individual meetings with Human Resources begin this month. But DC Comics staff have been assured by DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson, that if they want to join the move West, they can. There will be no compulsory redundancies.

While all eyes are on the New York DC Comics office and who exactly will move with the publisher and who will quit, the names of Bob Harras, Bobbie Chase and Joey Cavalieri are being mentioned as those who won't be moving. And while a family man like Batman Group Editor Mike Marts would have also been likely to stay on the East Coast, and may have the ear of other publishers, could an offer of DCComics Editor In Chief move him to move? And was John Rood planning to leave anyway? But there is no suggestion that Dan DiDio will be leaving. Indeed, from Facebook, he replied to the question, if he was going west coast, "I'd rather like to think of it as the west coast is going Dan."

That's the gossip half heard over those Manhattan bars, anyway, as a number of comic creators are getting rather nervous that the editor that they'd built time making a relationship with, won't be making the trip. Reality may be very different. But again I;ve been told that the junior editors in general will probably have an easier ride.

But while all eyes are on the New York staff, there may be drama kicking off over West. Nelson told the Wall Street Journal;

Once I set up my executive team, we put about 80 people in place here. Some came from New York and some were new hires. I put an emphasis on a few key areas: Geoff Johns as chief creative officer oversees our creative affairs and services, interacting with the media teams.

One of the problems may be that Burbank-based Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns has been writing more comics, and I understand that the reason he has dropped some comics is the demand that he write less and be an executive more - he's at a maximum of two comics a month after current obligations have been fulfilled (no idea about his TV scripts) and there has been a request made to editorial to inform Nelson if he tries to write any more.

There has also been some division between DC with books known as Geoff Johns books - those he writes, or has a strong affiliation with the writer - and the rest. Geoff's books had been relatively free from editorial interference from Bob Harras or Dan DiDio, though the recent repeatedly rewritten Trinity War crossover tested that.

Dan DiDio recently told editorial staff, that if they were siding with Geoff Johns over Dan with regard to reporting structures that they were backing the wrong horse. And as far as we know, Geoff Johns still hasn't signed a new exclusive creative contract with DC, after it lapsed earlier this year. Now, of course, DiDio regards Johns like a brother and but it could get interesting when they are all working on the same floor together.

At least the Christmas party will be easier to organise next year.