DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Specifically, it's a whole page of Harley trying and failing to commit suicide in bizarre ways--she climbs a building in a thunderstorm and holds up a detached cell tower, wears raw chicken into an alligator pond, and climbs into a whale's mouth and tries to get it to close on her, etc.  The last panel is her in a bathtub that's been overstuffed with toasters, hair dryers, radios, etc.

I heard about the contest, nothing about suicide or DC trying to sexualize it.

Read World's Finest Vol. 1. Not sure why so many dislike this. Outside of the massively unnecessary kick to the balls of Helena Bertinelli fans it was a generally solid read. I thought Huntress and Power Girl were generally likable, and I liked the dynamic of their relationship. I also dug the general struggle to live in a new world. I like how Helena tries to move on yet is still so obsessed with the Bruce of Earth Prime who isn't her father while Power Girl is desperate to return trying her damnedest to buy any and every scientist who may be able to help her while also seemingly drowning her sorrows in the excesses of life. I'm also digging how the move to a different world has clearly changed their physiology to some degree. The first villain this volume focuses on isn't the most interesting, but the other focus on the past is worthwhile stuff. The 0 issue focusing on their first meeting was nice. I like that Earth 2 's Catwoman has a bit of Huntress in her outfit. Would have been nice to more on Helena's and Karen's relationships with their parental figures, but its understandable how only so much could be covered here. Hopefully they go into more detail later. Thought this was a pretty solid read overall. I have to say though I'm amazed how all the other potential Power Girl outfits were better than the one we actually got.

If you're going to call them on their bullshit, at least call them on the right stuff. Such as the idiotic marriage ban that only exists because execs are having a midlife crisis and thinks avoiding marriage keeps the characters forever young.

To be fair, Marvel thinks that, too.

They do, but they have exceptions where they make sense. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman. Black Bolt and Medusa. I could go on. They keep the big franchise players like Spider-man and Wolverine single, but they allow characters to be married where it makes sense.DC's just like "Nope. Fuck it. No marriage ever forever for anyone." It's stubborn, ridiculous, and stupid.

These are real and serious issues and you can find them in comics and other forms of media from everyone, but this seems more like a situation of people projecting issues where they may not necessarily exist. There's tons of things wrong with the situation as it is. They could of course just be lying about it too.

• 2 weeks later...

Read Phantom Stranger Vol 1. First two issues dealing with his New 52 Origin and general purpose with his screwing over of Raven and Corrigan were decent enough. Didn't care much for the stuff with Terrence thirteen though I did love that even as a ghost Dr. Thirteen still refuses to acknowledge the paranormal/supernatural. The switch to Dematteis in the final two issues was interesting. He gives Stranger a bit more personality, making him less detached, but I'm not sure I actually like it. I found his writing of the JLD team though to be kind of bad. They felt a bit out of character with their personalities sans for maybe Constantine. It has me worried just a little bit with Dematteis taking over JLD. Anyways the actually story for the final issue with Stranger's family disappearing was decent enough, particularly for how things were settled between Strange and Spectre. Ok read overall. The series has potential, but it doesn't really live up to it within these first six issues.

Finally got off my lazy ass and finished reading all of Flashpoint. The only tie-ins I actually finished were Citizen Cold, Emporer Aquaman, the Wonder Woman mini, and Project: Superman(which was the straw that broke the camel's back). Didn't even read the last issue of the main series and after finally finishing it all, I kinda wish I never did. At the very least, Johns could've delivered on the end of the big fight between Aquaman, WW, and Supes before Barry resets everything. I know that it's horrifically depressing for a reason and all, but my GOD, when I was done with it all, I just wanted to go crawl into a corner with all my copies of Tiny Titans and remember what it was like to smile again. Yeesh... 

• Like 1

i felt the main story was good for what they were intending to do. Although now i can't think of it without thinking "Flashpoint: Barry Allen fails at everything he tries to do" due to somebody posting something along those lines back when it was coming out.

Some of the minis were awesome (Frankenstein was my fave) and some were terrible. Very uneven i'd say. But they definitely helped flesh out the event and made me enjoy the whole thing a bit more.

that being said, i think the event gets more hate than it deserves due to it ending the DCU as we knew it. and rightfully so.

Finally got off my lazy ass and finished reading all of Flashpoint. The only tie-ins I actually finished were Citizen Cold, Emporer Aquaman, the Wonder Woman mini, and Project: Superman(which was the straw that broke the camel's back). Didn't even read the last issue of the main series and after finally finishing it all, I kinda wish I never did. At the very least, Johns could've delivered on the end of the big fight between Aquaman, WW, and Supes before Barry resets everything. I know that it's horrifically depressing for a reason and all, but my GOD, when I was done with it all, I just wanted to go crawl into a corner with all my copies of Tiny Titans and remember what it was like to smile again. Yeesh... 

I finished Millar's Kick Ass stuff last week (Kick Ass, Hit Girl prelude, Kick Ass 2).   I had the same reaction when I was done.  Not entirely terrible reads, but I hated pretty much everything about comics when I was done.

Read the first three volumes of Cassandra Cain's run as Batgirl. It was interesting. I thought they kind of screwed up the bit with how Cassandra perceived language as she clearly understood people fine in NML even if she herself couldn't speak, and body language can only tell so much. Then they also cheated to get rid of their retcon. The writing on Bruce is also pretty off. He is way closer to Cassandra than he was during NML to the point to where he is blinding himself to the obvious in that she killed someone as a child. Bruce wasn't exactly acting to close to anyone during NML so it makes no sense as to why he is this close to Cassandra who herself during that period was close to only JPV (who is of course never used or referenced) and Barbara. Its made worse by the reality that there is no way in hell Bruce would hold that against her to the point that he would lie to himself as she was clearly brainwashed back then. It made him come off a bit childish in several instances. I'm also not digging Damian Scott's art which is pretty much a copy of Scott McDaniel's. It faces the same problem McDaniel's art did in that it is way too cartoonish. The atmosphere it creates doesn't really work for much of the stories Puckett was trying to tell. The exaggerated cartoon style makes it hard to take much of the drama seriously. Complaints aside I actually don't dislike the series. Cassandra Cain is pretty likable, and I do like the relationship with Barbara and even Bruce despite the fact that it doesn't make much sense. I dug the general running plot with Lady Shiva as well though the series does kill a bit of Shiva's mystique. I also like the complicated feelings David Cain clearly has in the background. I'm a bit disappointed as the series doesn't really measure up to the quality people praised it with just reading various comments in the past, but its still a good enough that I'll probably continue despite my problems with it.

Batman: Knight of Vengeance was good, and Kid Flash Lost was fantastic.

I thought Knight of Vengeance was okay up to the Joker reveal. Just wasn't feeling that at all. The Kid Flash mini was pretty damn good, but the ending pissed me off, hahaha.

i felt the main story was good for what they were intending to do. Although now i can't think of it without thinking "Flashpoint: Barry Allen fails at everything he tries to do" due to somebody posting something along those lines back when it was coming out.

Some of the minis were awesome (Frankenstein was my fave) and some were terrible. Very uneven i'd say. But they definitely helped flesh out the event and made me enjoy the whole thing a bit more.

that being said, i think the event gets more hate than it deserves due to it ending the DCU as we knew it. and rightfully so.

I had to re-read the Frankenstein mini because I'd forgotten everything that'd happened in the first two issues. Really glad I did because it ended up being my favorite out of them all. Frankenstein is just such a fun character to me and I'm glad that he's gotten a bit of shine in the nu52.

Read World Without a Superman. The stuff with Cadmus trying to steal Clark's body didn't do much for me, and I don't care for the Underworld stuff at all. That said, all the emotional drama with everyone trying to deal with the loss of Superman was pretty great. The JLA doing Clark's Christmas wish fulfillment was nice and did a good job finishing up another smaller plot within the Death of Superman arc. Lois unable to properly grieve due to how few knew Clark was Superman was particularly heartbreaking. Jonathon Kent's journey in limbo to save Clark was fantastic. It really does well in building towards the end where mysterious heroics have been done all around Metropolis leading one to wonder if Clark is back. Great read all overall even with some of the stuff I wasn't too fond of.

Is there anyone actually reading the Villains month books?  I have literally seen no comments on any of them whatsoever.

I've been reading them, but I have mostly stuck to ones either related to series I was already reading or that are building into the Forever Evil Minis. So far I have read Relic, Cheetah, Darkseid, Two-Face, Riddler, Dial E, Black Manta, Cyborg Superman, Trigon, Zod, Solomon Grundy, & Count Vertigo. So far the worst issue I've read has been Solomon Grundy which was not so much bad as feeling like it was a whole lot of nothing. Everything else has been decent at worst with several of them being relatively good (Relic, Two-Face, Darkseid). Its been decent all in all so far. There are some solid origin stories and cool one shots.

Haven't read Deadshot. Don't know Vertigo's original origin story, but the new one is decent enough, about what you would expect from the current version of GA. What sounds incredibly off putting to me is what I've heard about the Harley one shot. Its pretty much made me give up on Kindt's Suicide Squad run before it even started.

Haven't read Deadshot. Don't know Vertigo's original origin story, but the new one is decent enough, about what you would expect from the current version of GA. What sounds incredibly off putting to me is what I've heard about the Harley one shot. Its pretty much made me give up on Kindt's Suicide Squad run before it even started.

Posted Image

Man, call them for their actual weird hangups and bad decisions all you like, but the number of "DC is anti-gay marriage" and "DC is trying to sexualize female suicide" headlines I've seen lately is just freaking irritating.If you're going to call them on their bullshit, at least call them on the right stuff. Such as the idiotic marriage ban that only exists because execs are having a midlife crisis and thinks avoiding marriage keeps the characters forever young. Or the stubborn refusal to back up and allow their creators to have a voice outside a handful of titles.Yes, DC is doing stupid things.Yes, they should have let Kate and Maggie get married. The sales on that issue alone should have made it an easy sell.No, their refusal to do that doesn't make them anti-women or anti-gay. It makes them anti-creativity.I just want to burn the internet at this point.

Perception is stronger than reality.

It's better that Time-Warner executives see headlines like "DC is anti-gay" or "DC sexualizes female suicide" rather than whatever the truth actually is as the negative press will make them put the heat on Didio and friends.

If the truth was reported, than Didio wouldn't be acting like a total asshole on Twitter and making himself look bad to his corporate overlords.