DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: AUGUST

RIPPA

The idea of Verlander moving to the pen has been in the air, for sure.

He took a bit of a step back last year, but this year he has ranged from "solid inning eating mid-tier starter" to "fucking terrible."

His fastball has been topping out around 95, which isn't bad, but this is a guy that used to dial up 100 mph in the 8th inning with over a 100 pitches thrown that night (which, of course, might be part of the problem.  All the durability and going deep in games and throwing the ball that hard might have just caught up with him.)

I'd like to see him take 2 or 3 weeks off now (since he's not really helping much anyway in the suddenly tight division race) and see if he can't come back being at least the pitcher he was last year, if not the the guy from 2011-2012.

As part of his report on the new potential Commissioners, Olbermann did a pretty scary report on baseball's declining national popularity with kids.  One of the things he cited was ESPN's ongoing tracking poll of "one favorite all-time athlete" for people over 12.

No active MLB players crack the top 99.  Mike Trout is #100.  That is five spots ahead of O.J. Simpson.

Lionel Messi is #4
Babe Ruth  is #18
Michael Phelps is #23
John Cena is  #52 (not sure if that should worry WWE or if they should assume no one thinks of him when asked about "athletes")
Mike Trout  #100
OJ Simpson #105

Part of his argument was  that inter-league play killed the willingness of baseball fans to watch non-local games or care much about non-local players.  Football fans will watch non-local games.  NBA fans will too.  But Baseball fans increasingly will not.  He argues that inter-league killed the mystique of wanting to see the best teams from "the other league" as a kind of marquee t.v. event that you would tune in for.

I don't know about that part, but he made a compelling case that it is the national t.v. money that gets spread around to smaller markets to keep them competitive and that is going to disappear if the national ratings tank further.

Thoughts?

How many of you guys would have believed me if I had told you in April that by the time mid-august rolled around:

The Mariners would have the same record as the Tigers (OK W-L is different but % is the same) and that the Rangers would be worse than the Astros

Jeff Samardzija since the trade to Oakland: 3-1, 3.08 ERA, .90 WHIP

The guy who took his spot in the rotation, Kyle Hendricks: 4-1, 1.73 ERA, 1.01 WHIP.

I fully expect people to start hitting Hendricks better when they see him more, but for a guy who doesn't have high end velocity, his start has me incredibly optimistic. He isn't better the. Samardzija (I'm not that silly) but funny how the stats compare.

I still don't think Shark is a TOR pitcher. He can be very good, but he can be inconsistent.

As for Hendricks, the kid is really smart and he soaked up the knowledge of the Maddux brothers really well. So well that he could basically be Greg Jr. I don't know about you, but I would take a good Greg Maddux tribute act in a heartbeat.

Tigers lose again to the Pirates, this time 4-2.  Fans on Facebook praise the starting pitcher, blame bullpen for loss.  Their lines:

Starter (Robbie Ray) - 5 IP, 4 ER

Relievers - 3 IP, 0 ER

???????????????????????????

Today we get the MLB debut of Buck Farmer, who has exactly 1 appearance above single A in his career (one start at AA).

Albuquerque allowed the double to Davis that made it 4-2, but that was just insurance at that point in time.

Why not get on the offense a little bit? Three hits in the first inning, they TOOTBLAN (kinda) themselves out of more than one run, and they only had multiple runners on base in just two of the final eight innings. FART.

Mad Max goes out and throws an "HOLD UP, I GOT THIS" start for the Tigers, gets 5 runs of support - and they STILL nearly F it up.  Scherzer goes 8 innings of 3-hit shutout ball, Ks 14 guys and gets his 14th win.  But the Tigers bullpen is absolutely wretched so Phil Coke had to come in and give up 2 runs until Joba could put out the fire.  Scherzer had already thrown 121 pitches after 8 so I understand pulling him but...man.  With that bullpen, no lead is ever safe.

I'm hoping Manfred won't wind up being as corrupt, hypocritical, or vindictive as Goodell. I don't think I could take two commissioners systematically fucking up the two sports I dearly love.

In other news, Scherzer tossing 8 shutout innings and K-ing 15 against the Bucs sad little AAA lineup today was the least surprising development ever. I do love how our dumpster fire bullpen continues to turn close games into laughers, tho.

But, hey, the Pirates just picked up the Axeman off waivers! Our bullpen woes are solved!

If his first act to announce enforcement of rule 6.02 (d) (1), I will use the extra hour a night to fellate him.

There's so many exceptions in that rule that it's essentially toothless.  Put a pitch clock on the pitcher and let 'er rip.

Ways to speed up baseball games:

- any visit to the mound by any player counts as a mound visit

- pitchers must face a minimum of 1 hitter after a mound visit (none of this "shortstop comes over, catcher comes over, then the manager makes a pitching change" nonsense)

- 3 warm-up pitches for pitchers brought in during an inning - or just set a time clock.  You get, say, 60 seconds from the time the signal to the bullpen is made until your first pitch must be thrown.  So, hustle in from the 'pen, you get 10 or 12 warmups.  Walk in super-slow, you get 2.

- reduce commercial time between half-innings (yeah, right)

- no commercial breaks on pitching changes during an inning (yeah, right)

- the aforementioned pitch clock

I think every player on the entire field should have stupid routines like that between every single pitch. It would be like some kind of choreographed artistry of crotch-adjusting.

I'd probably prefer Werner tbh. Manfred's been so deep in the commish's office that he'll just be a carbon copy of Selig, but with the potential to be worse.

Well, there's no way they'd even consider him for the job (let alone get 2/3 of the owners to vote to confirm him) unless he'd already demonstrated they can depend on him to be exactly this, right?

Same for whoever else they might have confirmed.  And same for whoever one day succeeds him.

Actually based on the stories - Tom Werner would have been far far worse

From the NY Times a day or two before the vote

Werner has the support of Jerry Reinsdorf, the owner of the Chicago White Sox, and Arte Moreno, the Los Angeles Angels’ owner, who believe that Manfred has given too many concessions to the players union and want the next commissioner to be more confrontational. 

The Times also had some interesting stories from the process

Selig was in the room for all three presentations and that made things a bit awkward, several of the owners said. As the candidates attempted to show how they would improve the game, some of their ideas were inevitably seen as criticisms of how Selig had run the sport for the past two decades.

In one of the sharper criticisms, several of the candidates said that there needed to be more transparency about how deals are made between the commissioner and teams. The candidates also talked about how to make the game more attractive to younger people, how to cut down on the length of games and how to eliminate wasteful spending in the commissioner’s office.

“Everyone was trying to be respectful of Bud, but it was awkward,” an owner said.